Weekly round-up and open thread, 22-28 May 2012
Alicia // 28 May 2012
In case you’ve missed some feminist-related news and great posts in the past week, here’s a selection of the finest.
As usual, add links in the comments section and feel free to begin a discussion on a topic you feel strongly about or on one we haven’t blogged about. Please note that the links here do not necessarily imply endorsement or agreement and may be triggering.
- TaxPayers’ Alliance: opponents of tax cuts suffer from “sexual jealousy“
- Sugar daddy’ website seekingarrangement.com offers darker side of networking (Independent)
- My message to those who would attend Radfem 2012
- Orange to withdraw sponsorship of women’s prize for fiction
- When women are sport: lingerie football comes to Australia (Melinda Tankard Reist)
- The United States: Where Pregnancy is Probationary and Your Body Is a Crime Scene (RH Reality Check)
- Brazil rocked by abortion for 9-year-old rape victim (Independent, World). Church excommunicates mother and doctors – but not accused rapist.
- RadFem2012: Excluding on the basis of gender (The Independent)
- Father doesn’t know best (The New York Times)
- Devastating – Mother dies from acid-poisoning in botched DIY abortion attempt.
- Let’s Embrace Our Bodies (And That Includes Aging) (fbomb)
- Luton schoolgirl rapists have sentences doubled (BBC News)
- Lapdancing clubs encourage rape and sexual assaults, claims police chief.
- Chaya on xojane.com: What Women’s Media Needs to Know About Chassidic Women
- Passenger thrown off plane by female pilot because of sexist remarks (Telegraph) Note the ‘ungendered’ passenger.
- Why women leave academia and why universities should be worried.
- Recorded rape up 53% in London.
- Laurie Penny: To men it may seem harmless. To women it is anything but.
- Radical feminists are acting like a cult (Roz Kaveney at Guardian Cif)
- ‘RadFem 2012: a uniting force against transphobia‘ by Orlando (Resist RadFem12)
- In defence of ‘fatspiration‘
- How to use a trigger warning (Geek Feminism)
- A radical feminist plan for the dissolution of gender (Sarah Ditum)
- A Tory MEP’s take on UK Child Poverty – “It’s mostly self inflicted”
- Resist RadFem 101 – Links Round-Up (Resist RadFem12)
- ‘Smile love…’ Not if you’re a leery, sex-obsessed snivelling creep (Barbara Ellen at The Observer Cif)
- Abortion Rights in India: The Gender and Disability Dichotomy
Image by Flickr user tnarik. Photo shows a blue sign against a low brick wall with the word ‘Gender’ in white lettering. It is shared under a creative commons license.