Weekly round-up and open thread, 4 Feb 2013
zohra moosa // 4 February 2013
Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
Please do use the comments to share more links or let us know what’s been on your mind this past week.
As with every week, please use your discretion when clicking on links – inclusion in the round up doesn’t imply agreement or disagreement with the content, and some content may be triggering.
- Only 6% of UK game devs are female, study finds
- Woman NOT Wanted to Make Neanderthal Clone Baby, Misquoted Harvard Prof George Church
- The hidden side of women’s military service: sexual assault
- Disabled NY teen girl gang-raped by male students in classrom, during class
- Jane Czyzselska: ‘It’s important to make your voice heard’
- Lizbeth Webb obituary
- Hundreds of women still wrongly imprisoned
- Riot Grrrl: A 20 Year Retrospective By Petra Davis
- New photos, videos and app shed fresh light on Anne Frank’s family life
- Welsh woman Louise Kelton becomes US marshal
- Women’s centres give vital help to ex-convicts. So why cut them?
- Catholic Church warns gay teachers they risk the sack if they marry or enter into civil partnerships
- Preventing violence against women and girls: New Delhi
- Sorry, But ‘Natural Beauty’ Is A Fraud
- LTB label for disabled and jobless people ‘offensive’
- Exclusive: Defence Secretary Philip Hammond links incest with same-sex marriage
- Holocaust Women’s Rape Breaks Decades of Taboo
- Birth control shots were forced on Ethiopian immigrants to Israel – covered on TFW in 2010
- #silentnomore: Our message to trolls – no, we won’t shut up
- Mincing Words: Where Do You Fall on the “Lady” Debate?
- Asylum families living in ‘appalling’ conditions
- Women’s Aid ‘Save Lives Save Refuge Services’ campaign
- Ableism and apologies
- Sarah Millican: The only pictures of people like me in magazines have the word BEFORE above them
- Trafficked Women In UK Prisons Have No Support Or Protection, University Of Cambridge Report Finds
- Lionsgate’s Codeblack Films Picks Up Angela Davis Documentary
- Tate Modern’s women’s liberation army
- Femme Hatred in Non-Binary Communities
- Song of the Day: The Trial of Lancelot by Heather Dale
- Expulsion of two leading participants in Yarl’s Wood protest is “political reprisal,” say campaigners
- German Politician’s Remark Stirs Outcry Over Sexism
- Reel Girl’s Gallery of Girls Gone Missing From Children’s Movies in 2013
- Thoughts on the binary aka “Am I really trans?”
- The break-up of the WRP – from the horse’s mouth
- For failed asylum seekers, life on section 4 is a nightmare worse than Kafka
- Is feminism a dirty word for popstars?
- Girls and gangs
- Japanese pop star shaves head in apology – for night with boyfriend
- Silly Covers for Lady Novelists
- Catholic priest child sex abuse files released, at last, by LA archdiocese
- Teenage Girl Blossoming Into Beautiful Object
- The dangers of a gender essentialist approach to sexual violence
- Butch Please: A Butch By Any Other Name
- Men Want to Be Breadwinners-But So Do Women!
- Abseiling Lesbians
- Malala, teen champion of girls’ rights, nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- Justice for daughters of the laundries
- Women in Paris finally allowed to wear trousers
- Gay asylum seekers feeling increased pressure to prove sexuality, say experts
- Feminist Anthology Blog: Introduction
- Drive to cut red tape could end in murder
- Kashmir girl band Pragaash gives up after threats
Image of sheep in a field by amcunningham72, shared under a Creative Commons liscense