Early Monday morning round up...

by Jess McCabe // 26 May 2008, 00:15

18-year-old Mildred Beaubrun was shot after rebuffing "banter" - Essential Presence has more.

Manjula Sood has become lord mayor of Leicester; the first time a south Asian woman has held the post in any UK city, according to Khaleej Times (via womensgrid).

Social media tool Twitter is under fire - it is being accused of failing to respond adequately to reports of harassment of a user. It seems that an existing campaign of harassment against Ariel Waldman migrated onto the service. Violet blue has more (site NSFW).

Twitter has posted about the incident on its blog, basically arguing it's done nothing wrong. I have some serious concerns about their response, however - I'm no lawyer, but they seem to be adopting an extremely narrow definition of what constitutes harassment. They argue that the tweets were not harassing, because they didn't mention Ariel by name - but anyone with a modicum of common sense will realise that's not needed to create a hostile environment, and that jibes and bullying can be directed at an individual without identifying them directly.

Fox News offends just as much as usual - check out this YouTube footage of one of their pundits "confusing" Osama with Obama, and saying they should both be murdered.

Lithuania wants to define a family as one man, one woman plus children - not only sidelining same-sex two-parent families, but all single parents, according to Feministe. I have a feeling that this might clash with EU law.

On masculinity, homosexuality and hip hop:

"What would the world be like without men?" asks Daily Mail columnist 'AN Wilson' - apparently the logical conclusion of last week's vote to allow lesbian couples and single women to undergo IVF treatment without rolling out a father figure is the extermination of men. Really, the article doesn't even merit consideration, it's that bad. However, I would point out the illustration they chose - an endless sea of blond, white women.

OK, OK, I couldn't resist excerpting this particularly horrendous couple of lines:

As all New Brits learn in their Herstory lessons (the term History is banned, of course, because of its male connotations), it was a very old President Cherie, after the tragic demise of her husband in the Middle East, who decided on the most humane method of reducing crime: lower the amount of testosterone.

It began with compulsory oestrogen injections for rapists and muggers, but such were the benefits of turning the criminal population into round-breasted, round-bottomed hermaphrodite sloths that it was soon decided that the male element in society was altogether redundant. A few die-hards insisted on such foolish old mantras as 'everyone needs a dad', but the appendage 'like a hole in the head' was soon tacked on by the rest of society.

Ohh, Ohh, and this bit:

They no longer talk about the death penalty because there is no longer any such concept of death - as such

Um, yeah, evil future dystopia with... no death penalty. Ah, AN Wilson, you make me chuckle, you really do.

Cate at DollyMix points out an excellent campaign on emotional abuse from Singapore.

And, finally, Menstrual Poetry brings us the uterus vase.

Emma // Posted 26 May 2008 at 11:46

Re: the daily mail article - So, we have a world populated only be women with no crime, where women have complete control of their own reproductive choices, where we still enjoy the art and culture reguardless of the genials of the person who created it, where science is enjoyed and health care is excellent and where religion is gone. Where do I sign up?

Seriously, the bad science burns.

yeomanpip // Posted 26 May 2008 at 12:00

Hold on a minute!!
I'm a man
Are the Lesbyns gunna kill me
better start building the barricades!!

I wish the Daily Mail would disappear, its pure vomit.

Shea // Posted 26 May 2008 at 16:43

Re: the Daily Mail - a world populated by blond, white women, full of round breasts and arses? Sounds like a Paul Dacre wet dream !

Also- Godwins law anyone? Well at least they made it about three paragraphs in before they mentioned the Nazis, something of a record I believe. And correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't every major scientific advance since the 60s been welcomed with "its like A Brave New World"? I wish they would actually bother to read the book before applying it so haphazardly- Huxley would be disgusted.

Holly // Posted 27 May 2008 at 04:06

Great roundup and thanks so much for including me.

Danielle // Posted 27 May 2008 at 19:19

I followed the link to the ridiculous Daily Mail article. This whole fear that men will somehow end up enslaved or eradicated by feminists never fails to amuse me.

Because obviously men are sooooooo marginalised in our scary PC society where their true opinions can't be expessed lest they're accused of being sexist/racist/homophobic and chased out of turn by women with burning torches.

Only Jeremy Clarkson can save them.

Anne Onne // Posted 28 May 2008 at 11:56

Has anybody told the Mail yet that we haven't had the death penalty for quite some time? Seriously, this is a NEWSpaper, I expect some NEWS, or at least, an acknowledgement that the last few decades happened.

Gah, I can't even read it. I got as far as skimming through, and all the willful ignorance and bad science (and Brave New World references!) felt like they were corroding my brain.

And now they're pro-marital rape, it seems. Gah, seriously Daily Mail, just why? If you can't stop butchering science and feminism (two of my loves), at least keep to butchering them in an ernest fashion, and leave satire to people with a clue how to use it. Read the Onion. Oh, wait, they wouldn't GET the satire, they'd think it was in ernest.

But seriously, why do people who know nothing about science assume it's all about their deepest darkest wishes (world domination and control, clearly.) and do so much heavy projecting onto scientists, who do actually want to help people, unlike the Daily Mail.

Yay for the uterus vase! It lifted my spirits after all the luddite ravings of a deluded misogynist.