Greer shows her transphobic colours

by Laura // 21 August 2009, 08:58

Germaine Greer has written a frankly rather incoherent piece for The Guardian on the Semenya story, which seems to me little more than an excuse for a bit of trans women bashing. She uses the case to ask 'What makes a woman?', complaining that:

Nowadays we are all likely to meet people who think they are women, have women's names, and feminine clothes and lots of eyeshadow, who seem to us to be some kind of ghastly parody, though it isn't polite to say so. We pretend that all the people passing for female really are. Other delusions may be challenged, but not a man's delusion that he is female.

How Greer can think that trans women living as men make the decision to transition to living as women based on a penchant for dresses and eye shadow when that transition will most probably involve putting oneself at further risk of harassment, discrimination, violence and even murder - due to both sexism and transphobia - is beyond me. She seems to think that because she's Germaine Greer, it's okay for her to call other people 'ghastly parodies' and refer to their lived experiences as 'delusions'. And quite apart from her cruelty and transphobia, to refer to trans women's appearance as a 'parody' of womanhood is to accept that there is a 'true' female appearance, which undermines any argument that femininity is a social construct.

Greer does make the salient point that employing the services of a psychologist as part of a sex test is illogical, as sex is a physical characteristic, but she uses this to reinforce the validity of cis women's gender identity over trans women's, claiming that 'We [for which read "real, cis women" - trans women are excluded from Greer's first person plural] don't know if we think like women or not. We just think.' Exactly, that's what makes us cis: cis women do not experience any dissonance between the way we experience or feel gender in our heads and the sex assigned to us at birth according to our physical characteristics, and that lack of dissonance allows us to claim that gender isn't something you 'think' or 'feel' at all. This gives us the privilege of being able to claim that gender doesn't matter, that we're above gender, all the while ignoring the experiences of trans people who have to deal with this dissonance, in a cissexist* and transphobic society no less.

Greer also enters into the waters of straight-out sexism in the piece, claiming that 'People who don't ovulate or menstruate will probably always physically outperform people who do'. While this may be true for human beings at the very peak of their physical abilities, such as top professional athletes, the vast majority of non-athlete men would clearly be outstripped by the women competing in the World Athletics Championships this week. And as Joshua Goldstein points out, the performance of individuals who work hard on their physical fitness does not bear out the assertion that men physically outperform women either:

[In the 1997 NY Marathon], although the median woman ran 11 percent slower than the median man, the great majority of men finish well behind the fastest women, and the great majority of women finish well ahead of the slowest men.

Germaine Greer has written a lot of intelligent, genuinely radical and helpful work, but that does not give her a pass to perpetuate hateful stereotypes of trans women, reinforce cissexist values and deny trans people's identities and experiences, and I think it's important that we counteract this rubbish whenever she's given a platform - as a feminist - to spout it. She doesn't speak for this feminist.

*Julia Serano defines cissexism as The belief that transsexual genders are less legitimate than, and mere imitations of, cissexual genders.

Holly Warren // Posted 21 August 2009 at 11:42

I don't think Greer's talking about transsexuals... I took it to mean that the majority of people born biologically female think they are women because they shave their legs, have long hair, wear make-up etc - all the things that Greer's wave of feminism oppose! I think she's talking about the social construct of what it is to be a woman, not men dressed as women

Mary // Posted 21 August 2009 at 11:46

I love it when feminists use the claim that gender doesn't matter to police the genders. Get out of my damn movement!

Laura // Posted 21 August 2009 at 11:56

Holly,

I think it's quite clear that Greer is talking about trans women: she specifically talks about 'man's delusion that he is a female'. The fact that she doesn't mention "trans women" is just another example of her refusing to recognise their identity as legitimate. She has a history of this: she devotes an entire chapter in The Whole Woman to trashing trans women, calling them 'pantomime dames'. You can read some of it here.

RadFemHedonist // Posted 21 August 2009 at 12:56

I think a distinction needs to be made between saying one thinks "like a woman" in the sense of "women are more empathetic than men, women can multitask, women want children, women like pink, women like fashion" and other such stereotypes, and saying one feels as though one is missing, as opposed to just not having, a body that would generally be defined as the biological sex that one is not or however you'd put it, while often regardless of whether we are cis or trans we may have stereotypes about how women and men are or should be my understanding from writings I've read by trangendered individuals is that they tend to experience something that is similar to phantom limb syndrome in a sense, that they feel they should have a vulva and vagina where a penis is or vice versa, I think that's the problem that can come up when we are using words like "gender" to mean two different things, somebody may use it to mean the physical body they feel comfortable in and somebody else may use it to mean the stereotypes associated with our genital configurations and other bodily characteristics. Germaine Greer's comments are a load of transphobic nonsense, I haven't been a fan for years due to Sex and Destiny (which I haven't read but what excerpts I've looked at got me p'ed off) and various other things, though I haven't read The Whole Woman and didn't know about the transphobia therin.

Ellie d'Yckgirl // Posted 21 August 2009 at 13:22

I really don't get this article. I mean, she says:

"we still think in terms of male = perfect, female = imperfect."

Well, I don't see why, given that:

"People who don't ovulate or menstruate will probably always physically outperform people who do."

She talks about "sex police", which seems quite like an accusation on those process, just after saying that "We pretend that all the people passing for female really are." with some sound of regret not being able to launch this sex police on them.

And seriously, the bit about people with "feminine clothes and lots of eyeshadow, who seem to us to be some kind of ghastly parody, though it isn't polite to say so." : I know she is talking about trans women, but really, I don't find any actual difference from those jerks mumbling about "nowadays, (young) women don't dress properly, you know, with all this makeup and gothic stuff".

And well, about "other delusions may be challenged, but not a man's delusion that he is female.", seriously ? I mean, in the real world, people are usually glad to "challenge" this by calling women "trannies", whether they are actually trans or not. Rejoice, ms Greer: you have misogynists on your side.

Milly // Posted 21 August 2009 at 13:23

Excellent post Laura.

The Whole Woman is a terrible book. She ruins the sensible parts with embarassing rants against trans women - and tries to do it on behalf of all feminists. Ugh.

sianmarie // Posted 21 August 2009 at 13:33

i need to clarify off the bat that i find greer's comments offensive and transphobic. however i did find reading the chapter in the whole woman (which i have read many times) very useful in trying to learn more about how i define gender and how i define what being a woman is to me. the main example in her book was the issue of ovaries and having periods -and the argument which i now find transphobic (and plain stupid) was that you couldn't be a woman if you didn't have a womb, ovaries, periods etc. when i first read that when i was around 15, i have to admit i did find her argument convincing (i don't now) as i felt that my body's functions as a woman were very important to me, they still are, and the way i inhabited my woman's body seemed a good indicator of my sex.
luckily, i have thought LONG and hard about this since, and reading excllent books and blogs here have helped me realise that this was my privileged and an unwilling but guilty transphobic sentiment. as well as being transphobic in this chapter, a problem i have with greer's argument here is what if you have a hysterectomy, or don't have normal periods, or are infertile - does this exclude you from being a woman also? i am so glad i thought about what she said and questioned it rather than accepting it and going along with her transphobic argument. (when i was younger i tended to put women like greer up on pedestals and agree with all they said - typical teen reaction i think!)

i think greer tends to illustrate a lot of things that make people have transphobia or she demonstrates where their transphobia comes from. but she then doesn't question it, she just assumes that her prejudice is the correct reaction. and if you don't question where your prejudices come from or ask yourself why you think certain things, then you limit your learning and experience. it's such a shame that people continue to think it is ok to exhibit such transphobic behaviour and really create a hurtful and violent atmosphere, rather than looking into themselves and asking where their prejudice comes from. and it is such a shame, as i agree with so much of what greer has said and done and some of her writing is amazing and important, and she is such an influence on how i discovered feminism. but i cannot stand her transphobia.

saranga // Posted 21 August 2009 at 14:58

Laura: i don't think your link worked. Would you be kind enough to repost it?

Laura // Posted 21 August 2009 at 15:04

Thanks, saranga, I've fixed the link now. (I should point out that I don't agree with the intro-writer's assessment of Greer on that page, but I haven't found anywhere else the text can be read online.)

Samantha // Posted 21 August 2009 at 15:07

I cringe inwardly when I read anything Germaine Greer has written recently and when I watch her on television. Is it me, or is she becoming increasingly embarrassing?

The whole "what is it to *feel* like a woman"... I don't know what it is to "feel like a woman", and I couldn't possibly judge whether a trans person knows that either, but at the end of the day, it isn't my concern, nor is it Germaine Greer's concern, or any other cis person's concern. Trans people are *people*, a fact Greer seems to have forgotten in her horrible little tirade.

Human beings deserve to be treated as such, whatever their gender idendtity, or whatever I think of it or whatever Greer thinks of it, and it is bad enough that peopel in general find this concept hard to grasp, let alone a prominent feminist.

Cis feminists can ponder and discuss all they like, but at the end of the day, these aren't our decisions to make. A trans person expressing their gender identity how they see fit does not threaten my "womanhood" in any way and as someone who became interested in feminism through being interested in equality, it seems a bit self-contradictory to be so dismissive of and cruel to a group of people to preserve my own privilege.

I have 'The Whole Woman', but I must admit I got bored quickly and didn't get far through it!

Aimee // Posted 21 August 2009 at 15:15

I don't really know what to think about this, and I am well aware that I am speaking from a position of priviledge and would never claim to be able to understand how a transexual person feels or how they identify themselves, or indeed, whether the NEED to identify themselves.

Drag queens do come across as parodies to me... [...] I kind of feel a bit like they are making fun of me... they seem to be making a joke out of being a woman... kind of like 'look at me, i'm a woman.. look at my big tits and sparkly eyeshadow'. But drag queens aren't trans people and I realise that.

Now I used to feel that perhaps trans people didn't identify with their prescribed model of gender, for example, a man doesn't feel macho and butch, so he considers himself to be more like a woman, and extarnalises these feelings as to associate them with the physical aspects of being a woman. I always used to feel like it reenforced harmful stereotypes and perhaps trans people were victims of these stereotypes... but then I did some actual reading about it, and actually listened to the experiences of actual trans people and realised that this is not always the case... so whilst I can kind of identify with what Germaine Greer is saying, because as i've explained, I kind of used to feel the same, i've realised that this view is arrogant and discriminatory. I've realised that it's completely unfair to try and tell other people how they've arrived at their decisions when I cannot possibly understand even the context in which their decision arises. I think Germaine Greer is suffering the same affliction. Which is sad, because The Female Eunuch really inspired me. BUt I feel as though she has made the same assumptions and mistakes that I did, and never ever grew out of them.

Karen // Posted 21 August 2009 at 19:35

As someone with a trans-sexual father (now a post-op m to f) I think I can say that I saw a lot of bad things about my experiences with gender and gender identity. For example, my father was abusive through her inability to deal with her feelings and the pure rage and frustration she felt. She also was a misogynist, hating women even though it was what in her mind she was (this was due to paranoid schizophrenia that gave her a dual personality). She also looked down on other cross-dressers, trans-women etc for being "frumpy" in their dress sense as she was always glamorous with huge fake boobs, padded rear, stilettos etc. That was because she is not a pleasant person. Not because she is parodying women or doesn't feel that she is a woman (she does). Even with this massively negative experience with a trans woman, I could not ever bring myself to deny the rights of other trans (or cis)people. So what I'm wondering is where the hell Germaine Greer is finding this negative energy about trans-women from? A shame because I used to have a lot of time for her but her dodgy trans opinions do make me wonder about some of her other opinions, even though I really respect her wave of feminism and how much they did for us.

Sonia // Posted 21 August 2009 at 22:46

I think its a shame that Germaine Greer is probably the best known femenist around today. There are so many more coherent and less prejudiced feminists out there! This bit about transgender people features in The Whole Woman, a book which I wouldn't recommend.

RadFemHedonist // Posted 22 August 2009 at 01:53

I agree with Ellie d'Yckgirl that it's hardly as though there's a shortage of douchebags ready to tell trans women they aren't really women.

polly // Posted 22 August 2009 at 11:34

"Exactly, that’s what makes us cis: cis women do not experience any dissonance between the way we experience or feel gender in our heads and the sex assigned to us at birth according to our physical characteristics, and that lack of dissonance allows us to claim that gender isn’t something you ‘think’ or ‘feel’ at all."

Sorry, Laura, but aren't you confusing sex and gender here? There is a difference between someone who is transsexual - ie feels uncomfortable with their physical sex, and wants to change it and someone who is transgendered - ie feels uncomfortable with their socially assigned gender role.

I experience an acute dissonance between the gender role woman and the physical sex female. I don't identify with the gender role of woman at all (which is not to say I identify with the gender role of man either, I don't identify as any gender role). And I can occasionally pass for male.

But I've got no desire to either "live as a man" or to change my physical body.

I very much doubt most of the female population are "cis" in the sense of actively identifying with the gender role woman. For most of us it's just a socially imposed thing. I certainly don't freak out if i get called 'Sir' occasionally, it's not that important to me. Though I am VERY offended if I get called 'Mrs' - which also happens.

Laura // Posted 22 August 2009 at 13:42

Hi Polly,

I know what you mean - I feel uncomfortable with my socially assigned gender role too - but for trans people at least there appears to be some sort of intrinsic sense of their own gender, which clashes with the sex they are assigned at birth, that is quite apart from social gender roles. Cis people don't have any awareness of this sense of gender because we are (more or less) comfortable in our sexed bodies, the sex we were assigned at birth - we feel no clash or dissonance with what our head expects, even if we may dislike the expectations society places on us based on our sex (gender roles).

I don't think your definition of transgendered is how it is generally used - there is definitely an issue here in the way the words sex and gender are used - which is why I prefer just to use 'trans'. This isn't the place to be getting into a debate on the use of 'cis', however. I wrote about cis here:

Catherine Redfern // Posted 22 August 2009 at 19:00

Greer gets more and more disappointing all the time. She does come out with a lot of bizarre rubbish these days. :-(

Kath // Posted 23 August 2009 at 11:28

I just read that link to the chapter in The Whole Woman. I know this won't make me popular but it made a lot of sense to me, with the exception of the final half paragraph (from the sentence in bold) which I agree is hyperbolic nonsense. I don't want to deny trans people any rights to live as they want without discrimination but when Greer writes "a feminist must argue that the treatment for gender role distress is not mutilation of the sufferer but radical change of gender roles" I tend to agree. I was also interested by her discussion of the way that female is accepted as being "not male" instead of something in its own right.
Anyway, it's made me want to read The Whole Woman but I want to stay open minded so I will be ordering Julia Serano's book too.

Laura // Posted 23 August 2009 at 15:25

Kath,

Glad you're going to read Serano's book, I think it will help clarify what I'm about to say.

Greer just doesn't get - or refuses to accept - that trans people don't experience 'gender role distress' but a deep dissonance between what they feel their gender to be - regardless of whether they like pink or dresses or playing football - and the sex they were assigned at birth. Do you really think someone would go through the huge challenges of a transition simply because they don't like their allotted social gender role? I am deeply uncomfortable with stereotypical femininity, but I'm happy with my sex and am able to carve out my own personal niche within womanhood; if being trans was just a case of hating one's assigned gender role then there would be no need for any kind of physical transition or to be recognised by others as one's self-identified gender, one would simply need to be brave enough to challenge social norms surrounding gender roles, and it's insulting - not to mention massively illogical - to imply that trans people couldn't do that so they "went and got a sex change".

Trans people are accused of reinforcing gender stereotypes, yet millions of cis men and women who conform to these stereotypes because they have been socialised to do so do not receive even close to the amount of stick trans people get if they conform to stereotypical aspects of their gender. Why should their understanding of how they should behave and dress as a member of their self identified gender be any different from these cis people's? Serano also points out that trans women in particular had to 'prove' they could present as a stereotypically feminine woman before they were given the medical go-ahead for surgery (if they wanted it): they had no choice but to learn femininity, just as cis girls and women learn it.

All this aside, who the hell is Greer, as cis woman, to be making pronouncements on the nature of being trans? Treating trans people as a challenge to feminism, or a strange phenomenon that cis people like her need to explain and come up with a solution for, is so Othering and arrogant it's off the scale.

Steph // Posted 23 August 2009 at 15:28

Kath: "... but when Greer writes "a feminist must argue that the treatment for gender role distress is not mutilation of the sufferer but radical change of gender roles" I tend to agree."

Yes, I agree with that too, however, I do think some sections of Feminism over the years have been guilty of overstating that transsexuals, in particular, have gone through the whole process of hormones, psychiatrists, extreme waiting lists and surgery just because they aren't comfortable with their 'gender role'?

Pretty much every transsexual I've ever met including myself have gone through sex reassignment because of extreme inability to reconcile our physical body sex, and that's been the driver of it all not 'gender role' - given that many of us through transition end up socially and financially worse off.

Heta // Posted 23 August 2009 at 20:51

"While this may be true for human beings at the very peak of their physical abilities, such as top professional athletes, the vast majority of non-athlete men would clearly be outstripped by the women competing in the World Athletics Championships this week."

Uh, what? Of course they would. There'd be no point comparing non-athlete men with athlete women; the point is to compare athletes with other athletes and non-athletes with other non-athletes.

Andrea // Posted 23 August 2009 at 21:17

Sitting here in my baggy cargo pants and slightly scruffy green tee shirt, I’m wondering why I bothered with the utter hell of transitioning at all. Just a slight change in gender roles and I could have worn these clothes anyway. I wouldn’t have to be distressed about my gender role anymore. Oh wait a mo….this is the same as what I used to wear as a male anyway. Maybe I should go and get that pink tee shirt out of the wardrobe instead. Ah no, can’t do that; too girly, too stereotypically feminine. But it’s a man’s pink tee shirt. Ha, just goes to prove I’m really a deluded man after all. Sod it, I’m off out climbing or kayaking or mountain biking then. Those things are a bit macho aren‘t they? OK, I’ll stay indoors and play Oblivion on my Xbox 360. Aren’t video games consoles a male thing? Right, I’ll go and riffle through my wardrobe, see if I can’t find something girly and frilly. Maybe I’ll do a bit of embroidery as well. Fuck, just remembered I don’t do dresses or skirts or make-up or girly stuff. Oh bollocks, I just said fuck; must be all that male energy I still have. Sorry, I’ll moderate my language. Oh fuck again; I give up; just slashing my wrists would be far easier than this trying to conform to this gender role crap. Ah, but wait, I don’t have to. Really? But I had my bits mutilated so I could be girly. Why, oh why am I wearing cargo pants and tee shirt then? Surely I allowed myself to mutilated just so I could be girly and pink and frilly. I just so love girly and pink and frilly…..not. Did I mention I was a trans woman……?

Liane // Posted 23 August 2009 at 21:32

Someone remind me why I read the Guardian again?!! Supposedly considered the most LGBT friendly of our newspapers, and yet with some of the most overt and harmful abuse of trans people over the years:

Mutilation won’t make a man a woman – Dee Birkett – Guardian 5th Aug 1999

Gender Bending – Julie Burchill – Guardian 20th Jan 2001

Gender Benders, beware – Julie Bindell – Guardian 31st Jan 2004

Mistaken identity – Julie Bindel – Guardian 23rd May 2007

My trans mission – Julie Bindel - Guardian 1st Aug 2007

It’s not me. It’s you – Julie Bindel – Guardian 8th Nov 2008

What makes a woman? – Germaine Greer – Guardian 20th Aug 2009

*sigh*

Ardina // Posted 24 August 2009 at 09:42

A question out of puzzlement, actually. What I wonder about Greer's definition of whole womanhood - having not having read the book - is how her argument against transexuals buys into a woman's sense of being desexed and devalued when she's had radical surgery (a mastectomy, a hysterectomy, ovaries removed). I always read that sense as a tragic reflection of women only being valued in a patriarchal society for their reproductive value. If a woman isn't the "whole" sex because of surgical intervention, then what is she? And how is she different from a transexual?

Juliet // Posted 24 August 2009 at 12:41

What feminist needs enemies when there are friends like Germaine Greer?! I am sick and tired of the rubbish she writes and speaks and the attention she gets. Looking at televised debates on feminism from decades back, she was talking rubbish then as well.

I had a hysterectomy some years ago (for extremely heavy bleeding and consequent anaemia caused by fibroids). One of the things that upset me before the operation was all the stuff I read and was told about how I might not feel like a 'real woman' any more and that I'd be devalued, desexed, etc. I found all that to be total crap. I still felt exactly like me, hugely relieved and in much better health. All the worry was for nothing. I wish people like Greer would just shut the fuck up.
You're YOU. Be the YOU you want.

Doreen // Posted 24 August 2009 at 12:56

Andrea...thank you, nicely put and kind of sums up the attitudes towards transgendered people. We live in a world where we have to label everything and everyone..forgetting that the transgendered are people too. Sometimes I feel like that Chaka Khan song 'I'm every woman'..and I dont know which way to turn..but at least I dont have to go through the trauma of surgery to feel me, myself I. Look, people are born hermaphrodite or with physical characteristics of the opposite sex in the physical body..so what the hell is there to say that the psyche does not identify itself as male or female, and with justification? Or is that just too outrageous a suggestion for us to handle?

Sue Schofield // Posted 29 August 2009 at 15:18

Greer's comments, and those of many other writers and journalists were paid-for speculation on Caster Semenya's gender, which still has not be proven to be anything other than female.

Greer has a well-documented history of cheap shots and vapid transphobia, and the real criticism is for the Guardian 'Comment is Free' editors. If Greer had talked in the same fashion about any other minority she would have been sued.

Greer is now in the remarkable position of actually hindering the progression and development of feminism.

Well, so what? It's just Greer doing what Greer earns a living doing, earning a buck being provocative and viperous. She's been at it since the Sixties; the great sadness is that editors are still prepared for it.

Her Guardian fee for that piece, by the way was £82.00.

Emily // Posted 16 September 2009 at 21:05

I don't know why she has to be so unkind. I feel like she is trying to deny transwomen their feelings and their identity. She is like a shcoolgirl saying 'you can't play with us or be in our group'. She's being so inhumane, maybe I'm too simple but people are people and souls are souls and I don't care how they are packaged...sigh

Butterflywings // Posted 17 September 2009 at 14:35

'people are people and souls are souls and I don't care how they are packaged...sigh'

Oh the irony...

thebeardedlady // Posted 17 September 2009 at 22:21

I always more or less assumed that Greer was right about trans people, but had never really given the issues very much thought (my cisgender privilege - I didn't have to) until I was volunteering on a suicide helpline and spoke to a number of women were going through the whole male to female sex change. One woman in particular spoke to me on more than one occasion. Listening to her story, as she described how she knew she was in the wrong body, how she had been alienated from her friends and family, listening to her fears about the *excruciating* pain of surgery, and the long, slow recovery from that, the emotional rollercoaster of hormones, about going to her work dressed as a female for the first time, her parents not speaking to her or understanding, about her fears and hopes for future relationships -- it blew my mind, if I'm honest. I realised that no one goes through this unless they absolutely have to. No one puts themself through this experience because of some messed up ideas about gender roles. I've never forgotten that woman, and her story, and how powerfully it affected me. I hope she is doing well and getting stronger.

Germaine Greer was a massive influence on me - I read the Female Eunuch when I was 12 or 13 and it basically made me a feminist. But the trans phobia / trans hatred thing is unacceptable. She's not the only one, however. Unfortunately. I'm glad the F Word have stepped up with the transphobia policy. If feminism can't defend ALL of us, of every gender, who are hurt by patriarchy and discrimination, then I won't be a feminist.

thebeardedlady // Posted 17 September 2009 at 22:49

I really wish that there was a 'preview' function for making comments here! Thinking over my previous comment, I wonder if it comes across as being a bit patronising. It's not intended that way at all. I do realise that I am speaking about these issues from my privileged position, and there is a lot that I don't understand still or that hasn't occurred to me yet. I really just wanted to mention that woman, who really shone a light on this for me -- but in doing so, I wasn't intending to make generalisations about trans peoples' experiences - it was this my understanding of this individual's experience I was relating, rather than trying to say 'this is what life is like for trans people'. Because, of course, that's something I don't know.

It's important to try and get this stuff right, and I will keep trying!

Mia Nikasimo // Posted 27 September 2009 at 19:03

Germaine Greer's brand of feminist fundamentalism is nothing new as you point out, she picks no bones about what she thinks of transwomen whom she likens to "Pantomime Dames" without attempting to understand us. I'm reminded of a certain paranoia associated with. The problem is, she doesn't know when to stop. At this rate she risks adding another tag to her tally; "academic terrorist" comes to mind. Is gender the new battlefield, then? Germaine, what happened to your humanity?