Weekly Roundup Thread
by Josephine Tsui // 14 March 2011, 20:46
Hello and welcome to this week’s open round-up and open thread. The following are a selection of links that you may find interesting. If you come across anything we have missed, please share it with the rest of us.
And just in case, these links don't necessarily represent all the opinions of the F-word collective. However feel free to comment below!
1) TED: Courtney Martin is Reinventing Feminism
2) Poll shows widespread sexism; Mail says: “Women declare sexism dead”
3) Art behind bars: women's experiences of prison
4) On Being Feminism's "Ms. Nigga"
5) Why s.e. smith is Leaving Feminism s.e. smith does a great job citing ou argument with links. Including a) how feminism is an academic industrial complex b) the average transgender person can expert to live for 23 years, c) the median net work for Black women is $5 d) People who continue to celebrated as feminist heros leave a legacy of ableism, racism, classism, and transphobia. e)how others are also talking of leaving feminism including a disabled women
6) International Geek Women's Day
7) Where Women rule - Kenya
8) Drug addicts paid £200 a year to use long-term contraception
9) Call for Submissions for the Ethics and activism Carnival
10) Can Feminist art change the world? Part 1 and Part 2
11) Defiling BMI at The Carnival of Feminist Cultural Activism
12) Thanks Feminism
13) Saudi prince questions ban on women driving. He says Saudi women should be allowed to drive. (Al Arabiya)
14) Feminist Coming Out Day: a brief report, and a note on the connection between sexual liberation and global justice (Hugo Schwyzer)
15) Kitchen sink drama (Sally Feldman at New Humanist)
16) Suffragette's 'secreted' in organ, removed using 'gentle ju'jitsu'
17) Would you please Fucking Stop? by Ursula K. Le Guin
18) Amnesty campaign for women to take a role in the new Egypt
19) Competing for pennies; The "X-factor" politics that is making a mockery of women's suffering
a) Choose Feminism
b) Words that are Transphobic and Why
21) The Careless Language of Sexual Violence
22) Creating Complex Female Characters in Video Games.
23) In Cameron's Britain profit has become the new piety, in the New Statesman
24) Mexico continues to look up women for abortion and miscarriage: 14 cases in Baja California alone.
25) Call for contributions: Stories about women in science
Have a great St. Patrick's day!