Slutwalk London

by Laura // 30 April 2011, 16:14

Tags: protest, rape, victim-blaming

slutwalk.jpg

[Photo of people marching in Slutwalk Toronto, focusing on a placard reading "Believe it or not, my short skirt has NOTHING to do with you".]

Slutwalk London is an anti-rape march taking place on Saturday 4 June in London. According to the organisers, the first Slutwalk took place as a response to a Toronto policeman telling a group of law students that in order to avoid being raped "women should avoid dressing like sluts". The event aims to challenge the default social position of "Don't get raped" and replace it with "Don't rape", taking the focus off the victims by showing that what they wear/dress/say/do prior to being raped is irrelevant: rapists choose to rape, and changing our behaviour as women won't stop that. In this spirit, the organisers encourage people of "all genders, races, ages, religions and sexualities" to join the march and "raise your voices, hemlines and heels against a violent culture that blames the victims of rape".

I fully support the sentiment behind and the aims of the event, and think this approach actually makes more sense than a "reclaim the night" march in some ways, given that the focus on "night" - for me at least - inadvertently reaffirms the idea that the streets at night are dangerous for women, when those of us who attend RTNs all know that women are statistically most at risk of violence in our own homes with men we know, and young men are actually more at risk of violence on the streets.

However, unless I was in Toronto where the march was a direct response to a comment about "sluts", I personally wouldn't feel comfortable walking under the label. I have no interest whatsoever in reclaiming or reinventing a word that is used to attack and label women, let alone use it in reference to myself. I don't tend to wear the kind of clothes deemed "sluttish" and I feel massively uncomfortable with the whole "fuck you I can wear heels if I want to" attitude because I view heels as painful and restrictive and there's so much pressure on women to dress hyper-feminine anyway that it seems pretty self-defeating to me. I totally see the logic in this context - "fuck you I can wear heels and it's STILL his fault if he rapes me" - but it's just not a space I can get involved in without pretending to be someone I'm not. I'm afraid the idea of showing the world that "slut is something to be proud of" just makes me cringe. I'd rather be myself and reject all the bullshit labels society might throw at me.

So, I won't be there (I know, disaster!), but if this sounds like the march for you - and I know some feminists do see value in reclaiming "slut" - then head down to Trafalgar Square for 1pm on Saturday 4 June. "Friends, family, banners, food and instruments" all welcome.

Facebook page.

Photo by Anton Bielousov, shared under a Creative Commons licence.

peace // Posted 30 April 2011 at 18:11

yeah i would have to agree with you i don't want to ever be seen or called a slut, it is not a complement.

Alicia // Posted 30 April 2011 at 18:16

I recently had a discussion about Slutwalk with a group of older feminists and many were dead against it. By "it" they mean reclaiming the word 'slut' and the unnecessary business of restoring something that is damaged and damaging. I am surprised that the Slutwalk has divided women into the "I hate the word 'slut' and don't want to have anything to do with it" and the rest who have many others reasons for joining the protest, because there is a far more important and powerful issue at the heart of the walk that goes beyond personal dislike of the word. Joining the protest is a show of solidarity against the control of women's sexuality. I think there's so much focus and anxiety around the word 'slut' that many quickly see past the main issue why Slutwalk began in the first place, and it happens to be about rape and victim blaming. The word 'slut' has been used against women and girls to shame and control our behaviour even when it's got *nothing* to do with the way we dress or how we choose to love. Neutralising the term may free us from yet another gendered insult. That said, I happen to be marching this June.

Vicky Simister // Posted 30 April 2011 at 18:32

I wrote about this for The Fresh Outlook and have subsequently been invited to speak at the event on behalf of my anti-street harassment campaign.

I didnt interpret the point of Slutwalk to reclaim the word slut or only to represent women who wear short skirts and heels. Women have been implicated in the blame for their own rapes when they've been wearing jeans, tracksuits and a myriad other outfits and the event doesn't actually demand that you wear something 'slutty'. Whilst theres a feminist discussion to be had around why women wear certain uncomfortable items of clothing im the first place, this doesnt invalidate the argument that a revealingly dressed woman has done nothing to bring about her own rape. I wear pretty comfortable clothing myself but for this event I think I'll step out of character and wear something stereotypically "slutty" - because I'd like to drive home the point that even if I dressed solely to attract male attention, even if I were naked, even if I went home with a giy and got into his bed, it still isn't an excuse to rape me.

Anastasia // Posted 30 April 2011 at 21:59

Hey! I'm one of the organisers of SlutWalk London. Thanks for this article, and for encouraging people to come even if it isn't for you. Basically, what I think about 'slut' is that the purpose is to take something people have used to shame and scare us, and demand we stay within their arbitrary, narrow boundaries - and use it as something that means we're PROUD of who we are - whether promiscuous and in heels or not. Personally I feel scared and silenced when I, or another person, gets called a 'slut'; this is about removing the stigma around that word for everyone. Also - it shouldn't matter what pressure there is on women to dress hyper-feminine; the CHOICE whether to wear heels or not is what matters, and the decision about whether they're 'painful and restrictive' or not should be left to each person.

delphyne // Posted 01 May 2011 at 12:25

Calling yourself a slut doesn't remove the stigma of the word though, it just gives haters permission to call women sluts and marginalises women who don't want to be called sluts to an even greater degree. So for example, Laura who wrote this article, won't be attending the march. You left her out.

I am so depressed that this is happening. Sexifying your march against male violence takes the focus completely off the violence. The discussion becomes all about women calling ourselves sluts not the harm that is being done to us on a daily basis. Even if the word is destigmatised (highly unlikely) the hatred will still exist and the misogynists will find another word to use against women. Then there will have to be a walk for that, and so on, and so on.

"the CHOICE whether to wear heels or not is what matters, and the decision about whether they're 'painful and restrictive' or not should be left to each person"

What matters is the sexist culture that requires women to wear painful and restrictive clothing. These are social forces at work, not individual choices.

Chocolatebuttons // Posted 01 May 2011 at 13:44

When reclaiming words, i think it is important to not self-oppress, and to do it slowly. I identify as 'queer'. Some people have experienced this as a word of oppression, and as such are very uncomfortable with it's use. I, on the other hand, find it genuinely liberating because I have never been called 'queer' in an oppressive way (so it doesn't ever feel self-oppressing). In my lifetime, queer has been slowly shifting in it's meaning, and useage. I appreciate the need for sensitivity around the word though, and to understand that for some people it is actually triggering as a word of abuse. The word 'slut', i believe, is still around for most women as a derrogatory word. Whereas queer underwent a slow shift to reclamation, the word 'slut' has not. The word slut is still incredibly triggering and hurtful for many, many women. When I read about slutwalk, it triggered feelings from when i was raped as a child. To be raped and called a slut as an eight year old means that the word carries a hell of a lot of hurt, and means that slut is used not just towards women who express in a certain way, but as a tool to humiliate and blame girls and women, full stop. I think that new feminist movements who wish to reclaim this word need to be sensitive, and aware of the fact that 'slut' is so *very* embedded in *current* culture. Often (as is evident in the aims of the march) it's also incredibly tied into sexual violence, and throwing the word around has emotional consequences for some women, and might also feel a self-oppressive for others. I'm sure the organisers thought this through anyway, but that's my thoughts on the matter. The reclaiming of words is tricky; who gets to reclaim them and why is always a funny area too. I am aware of the issues around 'queer', yet i still chose to define this way. I understand people wanting to do the same with 'slut', if that's how they feel about their identity. On the other hand, I guess i wish there was a bit more reclaiming, deconstruction, and discourse before having a huge march which uses the word. Sits a bit uncomfortably with me.

Laura // Posted 01 May 2011 at 20:24

Thanks for the comments, all. I do see where you're coming from in terms of working to neutralise a term that has been used to attack women, and I can certainly see the logic of that approach. I would just personally prefer to disengage from the patriarchal discourse and model of labelling and judging women and move forward on my own terms - quite literally - rather than trying to work with the constraints already placed upon us.

As for heels, plenty of women openly acknowledge that they find them painful and uncomfortable to walk in, but feel they have to - and want to - wear them because they are fashionable, or considered the most appropriate footwear for special occasions. So this "choice" to wear heels is made within the same restrictive social model that brought us the word "slut", and for me this means that I don't feel there is much power in aggressively affirming that choice because it's pretty much what's expected of us. (That's not to say I think the only reason all women wear heels is down to social pressure, but for a lot of women it is a major factor.)

What's different in what you're doing with SlutWalk (among other things - I know this isn't just about wearing typically "sluttish" clothes) is refusing the "damned if you do/damned if you don't" aspect of hyper-sexy-feminine fashion in asserting your right to wear it without then being viewed as "asking for it". Which is a good thing. Just not my approach.

Laura // Posted 01 May 2011 at 20:39

@ Chocolatebuttons and Delphyne: I read your comments after writing the previous comment, sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring you. I'm really sorry the post triggered those feelings in you, Chocolatebuttons, and I must admit I hadn't considered the very valid points you make about how using the word - even in the way intended by the SW organisers - can have a direct negative effect on women. Thank you for raising this.

I'm not bothered about being "left out" of this event as I accept that there are always going to be different feminist approaches to things and that I'm not going to agree with them all; I think Chocolatebuttons' reaction is of greater concern.

Heather // Posted 04 May 2011 at 17:30

As a co-founder of SlutWalk when it began in Toronto, I'm grateful that this article has pointed out the strong and necessary voices that are aiming to fight damaging ideas around sexual assault. SlutWalk has always been about fighting the notion that survivors or victims of sexual assault are ever somehow inviting these acts of violence, deserving of less respect or protection. And that whoever you are, however you identify, however you choose to live your life as a consensual sexual person, the way you dress or who you sleep with is never an invitation for violence.

We aim to say that 'slut' is not a uniform construction. Many people are called a slut to degrade them when there is no actual reference to how they live their sexual lives. Thousands of people are called a slut before they've even sexual active. We also believe that language is not static. Just as other words, like the word queer, have been reclaimed and their meaning has shifted to be empowering, we believe the word slut does not have to remain a pejorative epithet.

I want to highlight that SlutWalk supports people's individual choice. I may reclaim words like queer and slut to describe myself as an empowered and passionate non-hetero sexual person, but words like slut are not for everybody and I respect that. We have positioned SlutWalk to be for "Sluts and Allies". If slut is not a positive word for you, or if you don't want to it be reclaimed, you can still participate by fighting damaging blaming and shaming ideas, and showing your respect for others who make empowering linguistic and identity choices for themselves. And this position of pro-choice also supports and respects individuals in how they choose to visually present themselves. SlutWalk asks people to come to the rally as you are. Whether you dress in tighter clothing or showing more skin or wearing things like heels, or weather you dress in baggy clothing or show less skin or wear flat shoes, SlutWalk is about supporting the idea that everyone should be respected, regardless of how they dress.

If you have any more questions, please find SlutWalk online, see more of what we're about and what kinds of conversations we're having.

Heather // Posted 04 May 2011 at 17:34

To throw out another perspective, when I've been called a slut walking along the street or by some person who is clearly aiming to insult me and tear me down, I've sometimes turned around (when I feel safe and confident enough to) and said something like, "Yeah I am. If being a slut means I'm happy with who I am and I am in control of my body, then I'm a slut. That's okay with me." The result? A huge loss of power for the person throwing the insult and usually silence from them and then mumbling as they try to backpedal into another insult. It feels like a really great win for me.

KFad // Posted 04 May 2011 at 17:48

For me the SlutWalks are about removing the victim blaming. It is never okay to tell anyone that they is somehow responsible for controlling the violent controlling needs of another. And Rape is all about power and control and not about the victim.
The SlutWalks powerfully represent that and do all that they can to be inclusive.I have never, personally had the impression that it was about reclaiming the word slut, rather it is about not calling women slutty. I think we can agree that would be a good thing. And these walks are getting some positive attention and doing a great deal to start positive and changing discussions.

Isabeau // Posted 04 May 2011 at 17:56

I think another important thing to consider is that the concept of a "slut" is subjective.

Who determines what I wear/do is slutty?

Ask the Taliban and they will say showing my ankles and eyes are indecent.

Ask my friends and a little bit of cleavage is always appropriate.

So for ME (I went to the toronto slutwalk) the importance of the walk is not to identify yourself as a slut but to show that someone else's ideas of "appropriate attire" should have absolutely no bearing on whether or not you should be raped.

What help is the advice "avoid dressing like a slut" if he thinks the very fact I have DD's and wear heels makes me look slutty.

Orla // Posted 04 May 2011 at 18:06

I own my sexuality and at 44 years of age am discouraged that women still slut shame each other.....never mind the men (POLICE!) that blame rape victims. Or the families that silence incest victims.

I had the honour and privilege of marching with my fellow sluts in Toronto. It is empowering to walk with other women that own their sexuality and are not afraid to proclaim it. I also had a couple of very personal conversations with survivors. For them, I believe the slut walk was perhaps the most empowering gathering they'd ever experienced. Jane Doe was allowed and encouraged to speak out and speak up publicly.

It is bad enough that the F word has become so tarnished in my lifetime never mind the covert cultural shaming of women that embrace sexual freedom.

For the next Toronto slutwalk I think I'll make a sign saying I AM A SLUTTY FEMINIST!

Anton Bielousov // Posted 04 May 2011 at 18:33

Ha, never know where you meet your photo next. In Toronto the walk was absolutely awesome.

Go, women of London.

Laura P // Posted 04 May 2011 at 18:57

I thought this was really interesting. I participated in the Toronto walk, but wore jogging attire because when I jog and people whistle or honk is one of the times I feel the most uncomfortable, even thought the clothing I wear is designed for comfort and performance and not meant to be sexual.

For me the march was more about separating sexuality from appearance, and recognizing that there is no such thing as dressing 'slutty" the word will be used perjoratively against anyone, regardless of attire.

That said, I don't believe over sexualization (or the denial of sexuality!) is the pathway to female liberation.

Vicky // Posted 04 May 2011 at 20:56

I don't think that the word slut can ever be successfully rehabilitated, but I like the way it's being used here. I don't see it as an attempt at reclamation. To me it's an outspoken challenge: a diverse group of men and women, of varying ethnicities, sexualities, and cultures, all dressed differently and all with different politics, standing there and saying, "Are you sure about this word? Really? Think about what you're saying!" It's assertive.

Sadly I won't be able to go, as I'm not in the UK right now, but I'll be encouraging my friends to go on my behalf.

Vaudree // Posted 04 May 2011 at 23:32

You have all heard about the Khaled Said, a blogger who was taken out of an internet café and beaten to death? Part of the Egyptian movement was the realization that it could have happened to any one of them – that none of them were safe really.

You have all heard about Eman AlObeidy who broke into a room full of journalists in Libya and told them that she had been gang raped by Gadaffi’s minions – who said she was crazy, who called her a prostitute and who tried (without success) to bribe her family into saying that she was lying. Maybe in a sense we are all Eman AlObeidy because what happened to her could happen to any of us, though we are not as brave or as strong as she was. If they consider such a brave woman willing to risk her life to reveal the truth behind the phony façade that the reporters had been exposed to a prostitute or a slut, then the word becomes, not one of shame but a badge of honour – a word they use to describe the people who frighten them and stand up to them and who won’t cower and hide.

Slutwalk is about both men and women because both men and women can be victims of rape or sexual assault. Come to support your brothers as well as your sisters and your sons as well as your daughters. And please, wear whatever you feel comfortable in! You may have the right to bare arms but you also have the right not to.

Kitty // Posted 05 May 2011 at 11:09

As a few women on here have said- to me, whether or not you identify as a slut isn't really the discussion here. It's whether or not someone else decides to define you as such, what they mean by that, and how they feel they can treat you (or women in general) due to that decision. Wearing jeans has been another thing that women have been told means they were "asking for it"- it doesn't matter whether YOU feel wearing jeans = slutty, ultimately and unfortunately. And to me, that's what Slutwalk is about, exposing and challenging that attitude.

Considering socially women's sexualities have been controlled, repackaged, and infantalized, I think it's empowering for women to claim their relationship to their sexuality and agency over their bodies *for themselves*, to express that how *they* see fit- and I don't think that requires sexualization, though there should be room for that if that's the self-expression that works for some.

Private // Posted 05 May 2011 at 14:32

As a victim myself, I think it's absurd to suggest that I'm not in some way responsible for creating a situation that puts myself in danger.

It does not excuse the rapist to recognize that I have the power to do things that change the level of risk of being a victim of crime. In fact, it's far healthier for me mentally to know that I have the ability to control my circumstances and the danger I am in.

I really think you need to be in some serious denial to think that you have the "right" to do whatever you want and not ever attract the attention of predators.

addy fox // Posted 05 May 2011 at 19:16

Hi all, for all concerns about the s word,i still feel wether one marches under this banner or not it´s a good campain long time awaited.since fashion rules the market and our habbits where ever, society is asking us women to wear as towards "slutty" (sametime be a virgin)a corporate with slender hips a décolletée a pair of pumps and lipstick the least,whatsoever a dull provincial secretary is largely seldom welcomed.
iranian girls under their veils are free to wear what they like,girls in india took tight jeans and t-shirts for their (sexy) saris...in a free democratic society there´s the freedom to wear as a "slut" when one feels like(should there be a time table?)this is not a crime.to force somebody to a sexual intecourse is a crime, as the body of the person is "taken" without permission,i take a thing out of a shop it´ll be a crime and i´ll be sewed,a rapist often comes away...

Old Music // Posted 05 May 2011 at 20:05

I find this very disappointing, although I appreciate that the organisers and participants all have their hearts in the right place.

As has been pointed out elsewhere on the internet,

the phrase "nobody is a slut" is far more powerful than "we're all sluts"

I just don't think the word can be rehabilitated. Unlike 'queer', which essentially just means 'not normal' (the response to which can be: damn right, who wants to be normal! and who are you to define normal anyway?), the essential meaning of 'slut' is a person (nearly always a woman) who has 'too much' sex, so by attempting to rehabilitate it, you are basically agreeing that it is possible for a woman to have 'too much' sex, and are reinforcing that misogynist paradigm.

Laura // Posted 05 May 2011 at 21:41

@ Private - But the problem with saying that women can/should try and avoid situations where we might be attacked by "sexual predators" is that women suffer violence and rape in all kinds of situations, at the hands of all kinds of men, so changing our style of dress or where we go out or whatever in order to try and avoid victimisation does little other than limit our freedom. As I said in the post, women are most likely to suffer sexual violence in our own homes from men who we are in/have been in relationships with. So by your logic we should avoid relationships with men or being alone at home with them. Which for many of us is completely undesirable and impractical.

Vicky // Posted 06 May 2011 at 07:48

Just to add to what Laura is saying, my natural style of dress is very modest - I nearly always wear ankle-length skirts and long-sleeved tops. This is just my personal style.

It didn't stop me getting assaulted. A skirt, no matter how long, is just fabric. It's not much obstacle to a rapist. Perhaps I should invest in a suit of armour instead?

Louise // Posted 06 May 2011 at 16:41

Actually Laura Woodhouse, that isn't the only problem with the idea that we should try and avoid sexual predators.

I own my body and I should have the right to show/conceal whatever part of it I wish to, and employ whatever devices I wish to to emphasize/de-emphasize any part of it I wish to.

I am also a full British citizen with the right to be in any public place I wish, at any time of day I wish, for any reason I wish to be there, with or without company.

Even if there were printed guidelines that would give us 100% chance of avoiding rape if we followed them, it would remain a massive and degrading infringement of my personal autonomy to expect me to restrict myself beyond what is necessary to avoid harm to third parties to do so.

It wouldn't be an acceptable solution to male violence, even if it was a solution. And I don't think there is anything deluded about that position. I am not responsible for the violence of a third party. Ever.

Laura // Posted 07 May 2011 at 12:32

@ Louise - I didn't mean to imply that was the only problem, I was just making one point.

gherkinette // Posted 07 May 2011 at 20:22

I'm really uncomfortable with this. I think like too many 'anti-rape' events, it's preaching to the converted and to the average non feminist understanding person who catches sight of this on their friend's Facebook page, this is putting the idea in their head that rape and sexual violence are something to do with what you wear and what your sexual proclivities are. I've been asked about this three times by people confused by the connection and two others think you can only go if you 'dress slutty' on the walk.

I think we need something that actually challenges the people who don't know much about rape instead of having in-jokes between people who know the realities. This kind of thing doesn't change the ideas of the average person who has never been confronted with the realities of rape, but who might end up sitting on a jury one day. I think it just fixes the word 'slut' in their minds about rape victims (many people do not understand the concept of reclaiming a word. And as we've seen, not everyone is agreed this is the right word to reclaim anyway). I don't want to give the average person any leeway to associate rape victim equalling slut in their mind and this is too likely to do this for me.

I'd rather we found other ways to show that women are raped in jeans and polonecks (like I was) and in their houses, offices and gardens and mainly by men they know. I think the only way the 'slutwalk' could help that is we wore our reason for picking that outfit, like Laura P highlighting that it's her jogging kit that provokes the ire and anger. Just donning high heels and short skirts doesn't educate anyone and to me it just gives average people yet another opportunity to ask me what I was wearing when I was raped with all the judgement implicit in that question. By putting clothes foremost, you aren't taking the attention off the clothes and onto the individual victims like we should be.

Sam // Posted 08 May 2011 at 05:50

What the police officer said about how woman should avoid dressing like sluts to avoid being victimized was extremely idiotic and I am pleased there has been a huge backlash. I do think though that it's such a huge shame that the march is call Slutwalk and is filled with women carrying banners proclaiming they are proud to be "sluts". I fully support people's rights to dress however they want but why glamourise the word "slut"?! Why should dressing a certain way mean you are a slut?

What's really regrettable is not only are the protesters drawing attention away from the fact that women should be able to dress however they want without being blamed but they are also sending out the wrong signal to young girls who will no doubt be influenced and think "slut" is actually a cool term to be associated with.

As mentioned by others, it would have been far more constructive and mature to say that no one is a slut and that dressing a certain way does not mean you are to blame if you are raped. Instead, we see photos of women jumping with "Sluts say yes" and "Proud to be a slut".

No wonder young girls are being sexualised at such a young age. It is portrayed as something wonderful and great. Extremely disappointing and frustrating.

CW // Posted 08 May 2011 at 14:13

I am disappointed that so many of you sound like you are not going to participate in this. It isn't about reclaiming the word slut, it's about a very stupid policeman in Toronto having said women get raped if they dress like sluts. It's about male attitudes towards rape victims. No one says you have to wear high heels and short skirts to participate. You can get raped in a shell suit. Please f-word women, join in this march, and by all means wear your Doc Martins, your jeans and your grey creased and dirty old sweatshirts. That's the message - it doesn't matter what you're wearing.
Yes, I'm not comfortable with people dressing up in a so called sluttish manner to make the point as it could backfire, but this issue is too important to allow it to backfire and if you all don't come, it stands a better chance of doing just that. The website for the walk should make it very clear that there is no obligation to wear any sort of outfit.

Laura // Posted 08 May 2011 at 15:49

@ CW, It doesn't matter to me whether the organisers think it's about reclaiming the word or not; from my perspective walking under the banner "slut" to achieve the main aims of the march fully implies a redefinition of the word, and that's not something I personally want to take part in. I think it's great the walks are getting lots of attention as it's lead to mainstream media coverage of the idea that we should stop blaming victims (articles on the BBC website and the Guardian this weekend), but I agree with gherkinette below that the word is potentially misleading if you're not part of the feminist debate - to give a couple of examples of this, the BBC article says some marchers will be wearing "provocative" clothing (way to miss the point), and various dickheads have been making rape-y comments about how delighted they'll be to see all these "sluts" marching through their city centres. While some people might prefer to turn round to these dickheads and say "yes, I'm a slut, so what?", I'd much rather remove myself from the mainstream definition.

I totally understand why other people want to go and why they take different views on the word, and I think I've supported them by advertising the walk in the most honest way I can given my own perspective. Sorry if that disappoints you, but personally I think that's better than ignoring feminist activism that isn't up my street, considering I do have a platform to promote feminist activities.

How so? Isn't the point that you should be able to wear what you want, and particularly the kind of clothes the policeman deemed "slutty", because rape isn't about what the victim was wearing?

gingerbread // Posted 08 May 2011 at 22:14

Hi

I think all the opinions here are valid. I can see the arguments for and against Slutwalk nd i am in full support. I see the pressures women face today as they have done so through the centuries to dress a certain way, act a certain way because it is the stereotypical social norm and yet I CHOOSE to wear heals, make up and dresses for a number of reasons:

1) I am a Lesbian. When I first came out I was under an incredible amount of pressure to cut my hair short, wear baggy jeans and ditch my make up because it was the norm for Lesbians to dress that way. I would get comments like "Sssshhhh stop talking there is a straight bird in the toilets" and told I would not attract ladies as they wouldn't recognise me as gay. I was told some women dress "Butch" as a way of giving out the signal to men to steer clear and to make them unattractive to the opposite sex. Really? Should someone have to go to those lengths? I am not in the slightest bit criticising those who choose to wear baggy jeans... it's just not me! I am a firm believer that people can dress how they choose to dress.

2) I'm a runner and like Laura P I experience wolf whistles, derogatory comments etc when I am running, no make up, hair scraped back looking a little flustered. SOD OFF I'm in my zone!

3) Because I am a runner I have great pins and I like to show them off! For me dressing in uncomfortable heals, wearing make up and looking like a "slut" (in a totally classy way of course!) I have power, I feel sexy. I have power to dress how I want to dress regardless of my sexuality and motives for doing so and no one has a right to grab me, touch me, make derogatory comments or rape me! If a man grabs me (and is has happened in the past) he will get a slap because he deserves it. My friends will back me up because he deserves it! and hopefully it will give him a short, sharp, shock and allow his small mind to expand even for just a nano of a second and think "maybe I shouldn't grab a woman without her permission"

I identify as a Feminist a Feminist who wears heals. It saddens me that I sometimes feel pressure to shun my heals in order to be a "proper" Feminist - to move myself away from the societal pressures that women are faced with to appear attractive, or normal of for whatever reason. I often work with people fleeing DV, who have experienced sexual violence and do the very best that I can to support these people and to speak out for them. I devout a lot of my free time raising funds for Rape Crisis through Charity events. Do my actions not prove that I am indeed a Feminist irrespective of the clothes I choose to wear?

I understand that the use of the word "slut" may then be replaced by whore, trollop, etc etc and the argument that another walk would then be needed to reclaim that word....... well so what? The underlying message is this:

We can wear what we want to, identify (or not) with the groups we choose to, get drunk, get married, have sex, sell our bodies, have four children by four different men, sleep around but in no way shape or form does this give any man an excuse to rape us!

I am really sorry there are those who have experienced rape/CSA and been called a slut in the process and that this word has terrible memories attached to it... believe me I understand. I have known rape and for years just reading the word would leave me flustered, my heart would race, I would have flashbacks and feel like I was going insane and it was only through therapy that I overcame this. My abuser used a pletherer of words to shift responsibility - I was a slut, asking for it, deserved, fat, ugly, frigid, no one would want me.... the fact is this, he was a sick twisted Bastard and I did nothing wrong. I will not take responsibility for his actions. That is the game they are best at and the sad thing is Jurors, police officers, social workers often believe the myths. "She wore a short skirt - she was asking for it". Victim blaming needs to stop! Jurors convict Rapists and it is these people who need educating.

I do feel sad that I may be shunned by Feminists groups for the way I dress as it may appear that I am buying into social pressures to dress a certain way and In the same way I wear heals to not squidge myself into the stereotypical "Lesbian" box I also feel the need to wear them because I feel forced by some Feminists to not where them to be part of the "in crowd".

Katharine Jenkins // Posted 08 May 2011 at 22:50

I understand where the idea of the march came from, and its name, but I agree with gherkinette and Layre Woodhouse that the potential for the general public to miss the point (that the word "slut" is being used in a way that challenges general assumptions about it, or is being reclaimed, or is being used ironically, etc). I think it's great that the march has draw attention to victim blaming specifically, but I do think that the main reason the media has picked up on Slutwalk is that the name is seen as sensational and there is some implication that women will be wearing "provocative" (groan) clothing. (Reclaim the Night marches are somewhat similar and don't seem to get anywhere near so much attention, for example.) If this kind of attention was not envisaged, then I think this supports the worry that the message being sent out is not clear. If, on the other hand, that's an intentional strategy to get more publicity, I don't think it's a good strategy, because it basically relies on pandering to a misogynist culture rather than challenging it.

That said, it's great to see energy around such an important cause/message, and I wouldn't want to detract from people organizing to get that message across in the way that they think works.

Karen Ryan // Posted 09 May 2011 at 12:05

I recently wore a mini skirt in my own home. My teenage daughter accused me of looking like a slut. Why should what I wear in affect how she sees me??? I'm still the same person whatever I am wearing.

Sarah // Posted 09 May 2011 at 12:06

I think the idea of the march is brilliant but as others have said we should probably be saying something along the lines of noone is a slut AND everybody is a slut. If we can get rid of the word altogether by making it that meaningless surely that's a step in the right direction.
I also think that we are kind of blaming men for this attitude, saying that men think it's okay to speak to us or blame us in a certain way because of how we dress or what we choose to do consensually. Actually there are an alarming number of women who would also say 'she got what was coming to her' because a woman flirts with a man in a bar or is a cockteaser and he then attacks her. How are we supposed to have normal human relationships if a woman can't look nice and chat to a man, possibly flirting, with the thought that maybe they could go on a few dates/start a relationship etc. without fear of being raped (and worse being blamed for their victimisation). This is my counter argument to those who would say we need to be sensible and protect ourselves for example even though I do agree that it is pretty stupid to wander around by yourself at night in a dodgy area for various reasons: mugging, violence, rape for both men and women, if a mugging case was brought to court would the jury not convict the mugger on the basis that they were 'asking for it'?!
There has been great progress, I believe anyway, in making it unacceptable for a man to hit a woman for any reason the same needs to be done to remove the idea of any kind of relation between consensual sex (however the 2 parties know each other) and the idea of rape. The idea that no matter what behaviour either party demonstrates unless sex is consensual it is a horrible crime. Far too many people would still believe that a husband cannot rape his wife because she lies in bed with him every night and therefore she cannot say no to him.

georgina doherty // Posted 09 May 2011 at 16:28

I think it's really sad that the whole objective to the march could divide women or even cause disinterest - because of the name?
It could be called spaghetti bolognase - honestly, who care's what the movement is called, the point is, THERE IS ONE! there is a voice trying to break through and I'm sad the writer of this article seems to have some fear associated with this label. People shouldn't be thrown by what they disagree with - but moved by the good and the purpose.
Also, after visiting the website it's clear that the spectrum is wider than the girls that want to wear heels. Your grandma could be as easily raped as you could, and they want to represent her too. and her comfortable shoes. Step 1, change a mindset, sad that it hasn't started here!
They have my support, will see all those that feel the same. xx

sian norris // Posted 11 May 2011 at 11:42

georgina

but the point is it isn't called the spaghetti bolognaise march. it's called slutwalk. and obviously this is controversial because of the way the word slut is used against women. the more i read about this, the more concern i have about privilege and how the word is triggering for women who have had it used in violence against them. i support the idea of marching against victim blaming but i feel RTN does this without exlcuding women. the language around the Toronto march has been sometimes anti feminist, mocking of feminists who don't fit the mainstream beauty or feminine ideal, and not really addressing that sexual violence and the word slut is a gendered issue - as explained in this post: http://www.feminisms.org/2585/were-sluts-not-feminists-wherein-my-relationship-with-slutwalk-gets-rocky/

i am not a slut, or a whore, or a bitch or a cunt or frigid or a slag. i am a woman. i am a feminist. i am a woman.

Jess McCabe // Posted 11 May 2011 at 17:42

My perspective on the word slut is that that the best way to remove any 'power' this word has is to reclaim it.

It's a really interesting word, in a way. It is only derogatory, like so many words, if you accept a whole bunch of misogynistic assumptions. Is it possible to have too much sex, or too many sexual partners? No, of course not, there is no amount of sex that is objectively 'too much', or, for that matter, 'too little'. Do certain clothes invite sexual violence? No, obviously not.

It's really interesting that the word was originally used to criticise women who were sloppy, untidy, didn't 'keep house' well, and particularly poor women. Again, this is only something that works as a criticism if you accept that women should be reaching some common standard of domestic cleanliness.

I suppose that to me reclaiming is more powerful than trying to erase the word, which calls up memories of secondary school (the last time I was called a slut, in a negative sense...)

It seemed then that the pressures was on girls to not do things that would get them labelled a slut, as a method of control, really. So, the notion of trying to escape the word slut being applied to you, that just feels wrong to me, partly on an emotional level, because it recalls those times.

Instead, I prefer the emotional feel of women standing up in solidarity and saying, "I'm not afraid of being called a slut."

But, well, what I hope that story demonstrates is that our interactions with reclaiming words are inevitably personal. I'm sure that the idea of reclaiming slut appeals to me partly because my attitudes were formed when I was still a teenager, and much more prone to appreciate things that had a rebellious 'fuck you' feeling about them...

I think it's ultimately up to each member of an oppressed group what their relationship is to these words, which have been wielded with the intent to hurt and control. So, while I can appreciate that others don't want to reclaim this word, and don't agree with reclaiming slut, on the other hand I'm not sure that I can get on board with the arguments that *other feminists shouldn't* reclaim the word...

What Hannah says here is true: using the term slut in a reclaimed way, it doesn't actually stop others using the word in an oppressive way. It might even give them an opening to, as here we are discussing the term slut so they might as well stick their oar in in the national media, or use slutshaming descriptions in their reporting of the protests.

But, here's the thing; that's not the idea of reclaiming words. I think it's a misunderstanding of the intension of the reclamation project, to say that the idea is to totally redefine common usage.

Also, I'm not sure that's a good reason to shy away from using the word in a reclaimed way. We can't let fear of how the Daily Mail will report something set the tone for our own activism, or language use, or feminism in general.

Paul // Posted 12 May 2011 at 10:46

The slutwalk is important. Although I can't imagine a rapist bothering about word definitions (any degrading words will do), judges, the police, teachers, etc can be shamed out of using this word in a negative way, and surely that's a worthy goal in itself. Authority figures refrain from using words in ways that subject them to ridicule, and slutwalk acts as a warning of the ridicule they will face if they say things like this policeman said in the future.

As a side note, the word meaning can and should be changed, as it already has been in the past. Like Jess McCabe said, the word originally meant unkempt or dressed in dirty clothes. As with all words referring to dirt, such as "dirty" and "filthy," "slutty" came to have an alternate meaning relating to promiscuous sex, reflecting our ancestors fear and disgust concerning sex. In some circles, gay men have already given the word "slut" a positive meaning. I only ever hear (as opposed it reading about it) it used positively in a teasing admiring way to mean a "bold sexually liberated person" (possibly the gay equivalent of the word "stud"). So let's encourage this, not reclaim the old "dirty" meaning, but encourage the newly forming definition of slut as a "sexually liberated person, who acts and dresses boldly exactly as they like."

gingerbread // Posted 12 May 2011 at 20:30

So what you are saying Jess is if you are called a slut either individually or collectively you have a choice? A choice to internalise the insult and allow the person(s) to hurt you emotionally, for it to effect you short term or long term..... or not? Alternatively, say or think; "I don't give a fuck what you think or call me YOU are the one(s) with issues!"?

For me, one thing I wish the group would or will represent is not just the beliefs that are held by some that a woman is responsible if she gets raped whilst being dressed like a "slut", it is all the other myths and stereotypes.

> It is not rape if you are married
> she was drunk therefore responsible for her rape
> It is not rape if you have been previously involved in a sexual relationship with the Rapist
> Nice hardworking men can't be Paedophiles
> He/she is a Priest, Police Officer *insert professional role of choice* and therefore can't be a paedo/rapist
> She is just looking for attention

I am sure you can all add to these. I think it would be great to have a national campaign in Britain like the "This is not an invitation to rape me" to emphasis that no one is responsible for their own abuse..... abusers are!

Whilst many are arguing over the name "Slutwalk" - whether this is likely to change things, make them better or worse etc, I wonder - are some people actually missing the message "stop victim blaming!"?

spicy // Posted 13 May 2011 at 00:31

@Private: I get that it helps to think you have control but as Laura pointed out above, the information upon which you are basing your ideas about rape avoidance tactics are either wrong (eg modestly dressed women are less likely to get raped. There is no evidence that this is true and quite a lot of evidence to suggest it isn't) or impractical (eg don't go out alone)

Of course some women who contravene these 'rules' get raped but so do women who follow the 'rules' - often in greater numbers (eg two thirds of rape victims / survivors were sober at the time of the attack and yet we are constantly told not to get drunk if we want to reduce the risk of rape).

From this is it reasonable to conclude that it isn't women's behaviour which 'causes' rape.

Anyway - I'm sorry it happened to you but it wasn't your fault.

Liza // Posted 13 May 2011 at 16:09

As a survivor I am a passionate advocate against victim blaming, but even so I have been struggling with my opinion about SlutWalks. On the one hand, I wholeheartedly agree with the principles behind the campaign - and I think that the concept behind it is PR gold. The fact that it is called SlutWalk and involves women dressing up in so-called slutty clothes is ensuring it gets huge media coverage - not all of it makes the right point, but rape and victim blaming is being discussed in a way it hasn't been for years. And that's awesome.

On the other hand, I don't think it's helpful to reclaim the word, and as a survivor whose reaction in the first two years after it was to be very promiscuous, I won't be arguing that I am 'proud to be a slut'. With no judgement on people who are enjoying their sexual freedom, for me my promiscuity was like self-harming - repeating the act of intrusion again and again, particularly because sex also gave me physical pain. My sleeping around didn't make me feel empowered, and as many victims of rape also reacted in the same way I did, I feel like a walk that to a passer-by seems to be celebrating promiscuity isn't helpful.

That being said, I will be marching on 4 June - because victim blaming needs to stop, and this protest is about much more than just a name.

Jess McCabe // Posted 13 May 2011 at 17:01

@gingerbread More like, for me, reclaiming slut for myself has been helpful in neutralizing the impact of the word, and really thinking and feeling that ""I don't give a fuck what you think or call me YOU are the one(s) with issues!"

If you have rejected the nonsense 'moral' framework of someone who tries to wield a word like slut, or slag, or whatever, in this way, then it doesn't really have the same impact for sure. I think it gives the word too much power, to make it a forbidden term, which personally I don't find as effective as reclaiming it in a positive way.

Also, I forgot to say before that although slut *is* gendered, my experience was of being on the receiving end of this from other girls, not really from boys at all. Which is partly why for me it's more powerful to see women reclaim slut in solidarity, to say "I'll stand up and take on this loaded word of slut".

Lucrece // Posted 15 May 2011 at 11:45

I understand that this is an incredibly loaded issues, immediately by virtue of having the word 'slut' involved at all, I think thats one of the (many!) reasons I will be marching. The march is not just about the word slut, but about the entire culture of blame and shame associated with womens sexuality and choice as a whole. I march, not just to prove my right to sleep with who I want without being judged (not that it matters, but I'm in a long term monogomous relationship, that point has been rather moot for around 10 years lol) but to remind the world that its *still* our bodies and our choice, no matter what other people think of us, and to take a stand against victim blaming (which starts way down the scale at 'low level' street harassment). I march as a feminist and cos f*** you, thats why (a little nonsensical I know, but thats what my bones are yelling)

Louise // Posted 15 May 2011 at 22:47

I really don't think this has to be about reclaiming or not reclaiming the word "slut". Firstly, I don't think having sex willy nilly is a responsible thing to do, and I think the main problem with words like "slut" and the general judgmental atmosphere around casual sex is not that it applies to women but that it ONLY applies to women.

Aside from that point, this march was organised in response to a particular comment about women's behaviour. It is not a march to say that women should be safe to go out at night (though they should). It is not a march to say that women have as much right to be on the streets as men (though they do). It is a march to say that women should be safe NO MATTER WHAT THEY WEAR, NO MATTER HOW DRUNK THEY ARE, NO MATTER HOW THEY BEHAVE and NO MATTER WHAT YOUR MORAL JUDGEMENT IS OF THEM. I think this ought to be a message that we can all get behind, even those of us who think we should also be arguing that they shouldn't be making that judgement in the first place.

Rape is not an appropriate punishment for a moral wrong, under any circumstances. I don't see why people can't get behind that idea just because they also don't think there is anything wrong with it in the first place.

Laura // Posted 16 May 2011 at 13:12

@ Louise - I fail to see anything irresponsible in having sex "willy nilly", unless you're not using protection to safeguard both yourself and your partner/s against STDs/pregnancy. I certainly don't think branding both men and women irresponsible for having casual sex is either helpful or feminist.

As for the term, I'm not happy marching through London under the banner of "slut", which is why I won't be going, despite supporting the main aims.

Angela // Posted 16 May 2011 at 21:28

One aspect of this event that hasn’t been commented on much, and which I feel is incredibly important, is the idea of a political statement being made through clothes – one of the most conspicuous ways that women can conform to conventional femininity. What I would like to think is happening in this march is that women are not only reclaiming language, but that by dressing as ‘sluts’ there is also a reclaiming of fashion, in the sense that women are dressing in this way to make a political, as opposed to sexual, statement.

While the message being sent through this march is absolutely right, in general, in day to day situations, I do find it difficult to reconcile the idea of dressing provocatively with the philosophy of feminism. This is because, as I understand it, feminism has been very concerned with highlighting the fact that our society’s ideals of feminine beauty are constructed and achieved through things like photoshopping, surgery, and extreme dieting and don’t reflect ‘real’ women. Feminism has also been concerned with pointing out that femininity is something that we learn from childhood and learn to perform throughout adulthood, rather than being something that is innate within us. I think that as feminists the act of dressing is a political act, and we have to ask ourselves whether the clothes we choose to wear and the make-up that we may or may not choose to wear sits comfortably with the ethos of feminism. There is a danger that by dressing in such a way, we are making the choice to conform to the very ideas of womanhood that are still being advocated by the media, and that feminism seeks to destabilise. Of course women should have the right to choose what they wear, but as feminists we should also be able to take whatever we choose to wear into a discourse that is in depth and thought through, and to be able to give an account of why we choose to dress this way.

gingerbread // Posted 16 May 2011 at 22:31

@angela in your view what dress code would a woman be required to adhere to, to be considered a feminist?

I class myself as a feminist but I wear feminine clothes, heels, make up etc, I also wear slouchy jeans and trainers depending on my mood. Why should I or any other woman have to give an account or offer an explanation for why they (or I) have chosen an outfit on any given day? The older I have become the more feminine I have become because I have shunned the stereotypical "dyke" look that many Lesbians tried to force upon me when I first came out as Lesbian. For me my heels are symbolic - a rejection of a stereotypical homosexual image.

I doubt many women on the slutwalk will be a perfect size 6, obsessed with their weight and looking like they have just stepped off a catwalk..... I am sure there will be more fuller figured women attending not to mention those who are walking in their jeans, jogging pants etc. I know some men have stated they will be walking in a skirt to reinforce the notion that rape is about the Perpetrators actions... not about clothing.

I agree there is a great deal of pressure on women and girls to be a certain size, wear certain clothes and be "perfect" but do things have to be so polarized to the point that a woman cannot be or dress provocatively, feel sexy without taking this huge responsibility on her shoulders? That she must ALWAYS dress in a feminist approved fashion in order to set a good example? She must ALWAYS dress politically?

Angela // Posted 17 May 2011 at 20:50

@gingerbread
My view is that fashion is always and already political and I think that feminists have taken the responsibility of thinking about the body, how it is covered up, and the messages that it sends. I don’t think that it is a question of telling people what they should wear or who they should justify it to, but I am interested in being able to reconcile in ones own mind how one can dress without buying into and emulating the idea of women that we see in women’s magazines, for instance. The fact that you have said ‘my heels are symbolic - a rejection of a stereotypical homosexual image’ tells me that you have already done this.

In short, its not simply about setting an example, but rather a question of how one can live within an ideology/philosophy/politics. It’s a question that I haven’t been able to answer comprehensively in my own life and is an ongoing area for self-critique.

What do you think?

gingerbread // Posted 18 May 2011 at 20:18

I think throughout society there will always be groups, collective identities and clothing that is associated with that group. As a teenager I wanted to be an individual, I would try my hardest to look "unique" and not buy into any typical teenage group, in the end I just ended up looking like another "alternative" teenager as there was not a great deal of choice.

How can I or you or anyone dress without buying into or emulating the idea of women we see in women's magazines? That has to be your decision depending on your goal. Which image are you looking to reject?

I identify as a feminist but that is not all that I am. I also identify as a Lesbian, a mother, a girlfriend, a professional, a runner, a student. I do not think that it would be possible for me to dress in a way that would encapsulate every aspect of me so that it screams out to people "this is who I am and this is what I believe" and I wouldn't want people, apart from a selected few, knowing all of me. I choose to wear what I feel comfortable in dependent on my mood, where I am and who I am with but what I choose to wear does not change my core beliefs or the person I am. Sometimes I like the shock factor "Yes, I identify as *insert identity of choice* but you would never guess it". Essentially, I am comfortable in who I am - is that not political in a sense?

So is dressing as a "slut" not political in your view? When I hear the comment "if you want to avoid being raped don't dress as a slut" or words to that effect, I wonder, what does a "slut" wear? Is the word and associated images not down to interpretation? In some cultures if a woman takes off her head dress she could be accused of being a slut (or words to the effect) in Victorian times a skirt above ankle length was not socially acceptable and again similar accusations would follow. Are these women "sluts"?

The fact is this, any defense barrister when faced with a rape victim will have his/her checklist. What was she wearing? Can I portray her clothing as "sluttish?" Had she been drinking? Had she been flirting? Were they married/in a relationship and then build a case around it KNOWING full well the myths and stereotypes that circulate throughout society. They play on them so by challenging those myths hopefully their defense, along with the word, will weaken and maybe increase the chances of having a jury that is educated around victim blaming.

If you do not feel comfortable with the corset image then why not walk the slutwalk in full period clothing showing a little ankle and a banner "Is this what a slut looks like?".

Ruby // Posted 25 May 2011 at 00:45

A wonderful round-up – thank you! I was raped and I don’t support SlutWalk. They’re not subverting the word ‘slut’ they’re reinforcing the sexual objectification of women – the slut or ‘temptress’ is a powerful cultural archetype, and always will be, which lawyers in particular use as a well-worn legal tactic that’s about money not human rights. Should they use it? Of course not! But an ideology doesn’t stop having negative social connotations or ramifications overnight just because people say it should. Misogyny is rampant in our culture and the pornification of women dominates popular media. It’s so deeply disappointing that young women have bought into their own objectification to the point whereby they’re willing to reinforce it and promote it because it’s been marketed as cool. I believe they’re naive to allow themselves to be photographed as ‘promiscuous’, too – it may not seem so empowering when their images are taken out of context later. Raising money for rape services or walking against rape would have been much more useful than fighting for their right to be a sex object. I’m pleased the sensationalism has stirred wider debate about victim blaming and I believe feminists can learn from their clever marketing techniques to communicate more valuable messages. But those who walk are not walking, or speaking, for me.

Sarah // Posted 27 May 2011 at 12:10

Hello,

I'm currently writing an article about people in the UK who are skeptical of the upcoming Slut Walk, and have found the dialogue in both the post and the comments to be extremely interesting. I was wondering if there's anyone who would be willing to have a short chat within the next few days about what they dislike about the Slut Walk concept and how they feel about anti-sexual violence protests, etc. My email address is snoorbak at gmail dot com.

I hope to hear from some of you!

Mhairi Gordon // Posted 09 June 2011 at 15:40

I dress fairly conservatively, but I'm up for reclaiming the word slut and all other words that seek to confine/define/restrict/insult women's sexuality and freedom of choice.

And - I think - like you, I totally support the shift of focus from "don't get raped" to "don't rape".

More power to all our elbows!

Ashleigh-Rose Harman // Posted 11 June 2011 at 17:26

From my own experience of the march today I don't believe that the main reason for people being there was to reclaim the word slut. Very few people walked in 'slutty clothes' and from talking to others around me most people were there to make a stand about the way our society views and treats rape, and also to berate the way rape victims are treated.

In a society where we are bombarded with sexual images on a daily basis and with music that promotes the word slut in a derogative way can we blame young modern women for trying to change the connotations to a more positive outlook? I agree that the word is ingrained in society and it will be a huge upheavel to change the meaning of the word but, lets have a go!

The Daily Mail culture has caused the public to believe that young people are good for nothing, living off benefits with no care for politics or society. Today I stood surrounded by young women and men from all different backgrounds, religions, races and classes and all were passionate and willing to fight for something they believe in. Maybe that should be the main aspect we take away from the march.

Ritzi Cortez // Posted 11 June 2011 at 18:49

I survived Slut Walk London (http://climbingritzisladder.com) and it was fabulously liberating. I hope it does some good!

Girl power and all that.
RCx

Andy Bell // Posted 12 June 2011 at 15:52

I found this article on a site called Itchy Chin which covers the recent version in London. See what you think guys. Great article by the way Laura :)

Sally // Posted 27 June 2011 at 13:13

Hello, I am doing some research for a Channel 4 programme and would love to speak to someone who was involved in organising a slutwalk march in the UK. Any help you can offer is much appreciated. I can be reached on 0207 907 0891 or sally.griffiths@betty.co.uk
Many Thanks,