Weekly round-up and open thread, 2 May 2011

by Helen G // 2 May 2011, 08:21

Tags: Weekly Round-Up And Open Thread

The Earth seen from Apollo 17 (public domain image via Wikipedia)Here's this week's open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we've noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.

If you have a link or comment that doesn't fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.

TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of "official TFW party line" on any subject because there is no "official TFW party line".

I think there's really only one music video I could post to close this week's round-up thread: X-Ray Spex Oh Bondage! Up Yours! which featured Poly Styrene. (If you haven't already done so, I'd really recommend checking out her last album, Generation Indigo)

"I think that gender equality is down to the individual performer, I mean there are a lot more girls in bikinis looking sexy in videos, I don't think that's gender equality myself - but if you write good songs and you're prepared to get up and sing them then gender equality has improved over the last 30 years." [Poly Styrene, Flux Magazine]

------------

[Public domain image The Earth seen from Apollo 17 via Wikipedia]

peace // Posted 02 May 2011 at 09:14

i just read the dear rapist article from the guardian and i could not stop crying. i felt so bad for her and to know that he only served six months is just horrible.

peace // Posted 02 May 2011 at 09:18

i personally am not a fan of punk music at all and i have never got the connection to feminism. I don’t mean to be mean but to me its just noise.

Lindsey // Posted 03 May 2011 at 12:01

Omg! Joanna Russ...

*cries*

eleanargh // Posted 03 May 2011 at 13:56

Does anyone have links to feminist articles about the wedding other than that Evening Standard one, and more critical than that? Thanks.

Kristin // Posted 03 May 2011 at 15:05

eleanargh, "Obscene British patriarchy-fest inspires a few auntly words on weddings" from I Blame the Patriarchy might amuse you.

eleanargh // Posted 03 May 2011 at 16:27

Yay, thanks Kristin - I haven't checked IBTP for too long!

earwicga // Posted 03 May 2011 at 22:46

@ peace - I guess you've never heard of Crass then? I'm sure somebody else can explain more ably than me what punk is though.

It's a shame to see the same sex kiss ban lie reach here.