Weekly round-up and open thread, 9 July 2012
by Helen G // 9 July 2012, 05:11
Here's this week's open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we've noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn't fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of "official TFW party line" on any subject because there is no "official TFW party line".
- More women break through glass ceiling (The Independent)
- Asian women struggle more to get top jobs (Times of India)
- We're not here for your inspiration (The Drum - Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- Words. Out. Of. Mouth. (Grateful Chorus) - Praise for TFW's Jolene Tan "for this brilliant, snappy piece" - Thanks, Rowena! (Jolene's post is here: What's wrong with sexual objectification? Hint: it's not the "sexual" bit)
- Campaigners on sexual violence accuse Olympic organisers of ignoring issue (Guardian, Life and style)
- Breastfeeding mothers stage protest in a Bristol cafe (BBC News)
- Frank Ocean and the courage to come out (Guardian, Music)
- A feminist response to Michael Albert's visions for the Occupy Movement (FeministActionCambridge)
- World leaders accused of backsliding on women's rights (Guardian, Global development)
- We are the NHS and the NHS is us (Guardian, Cif)
- Get back on air, new BBC chief tells the woman sacked for being too old (Independent, TV & Radio)
- The Unfair Burden on New Mums (Women's Resource Centre)
- Solidarity in Feminism Or How White Feminists Fail Intersectionality....Again (Esoterica, Tumblr)
- This is what online harassment looks like (New Statesman, Blogs)
- Afghan woman accused of adultery shot dead in public (Guardian, World)