Weekly round-up and open thread, 25 February 2013
by Helen G // 25 February 2013, 09:00
Here's this week's open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we've noticed over the last week or so, but not had time to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn't fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains links to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of "official TFW party line" on any subject because there is no "official TFW party line".
- Child of gay parents sends protest to MP (Independent)
- Transnational Data on Gender and Science Aptitude (The Society Pages)
- Oppressive beliefs and breast size preference (Feminist Philosophers)
- Organisers say Pride in London 2013 could be cancelled (Pink News)
- Council tax benefit cuts: the expense of getting people with no money to pay up (Guardian, Cif)
- Murders Without Murderers: Reeva Steenkamp And The Myth Of The Sudden Snap (The Gloss)
- How 'personal choice' drove feminism and now stalls it (Blue Milk)
- Knope and change: Lessons from the women who are leading the sustainable cities movement (Grist)
- *CONTENT WARNING* (transphobic violence): London police accused of mocking a sick trans woman in 'brutal arrest' (GayStarNews)
- IDing Sex Assault Victim 'Alarming' says PCC, Daily Mirror Fined (iMediaEthics)
- Oscar Pistorius and the Global System of Deadly Misogyny (The Nation)
- Take action on the unnecessary imprisonment of women in the UK (The Women's Resource)
- 5 Ways to Make Progress in Evolutionary Psychology: Smash, Not Match, Stereotypes (Scientific American)
- China's 'leftover women', unmarried at 27 (BBC News, Magazine)
- *CONTENT WARNING* (rape; misogyny in comments): Second 'infidelity check' attack ruled to be sexual (The Local)
- An Inconvenient Truth (Bananas are not the only fruit)
- Our regressive, insensitive and cultish attitude to breastfeeding (New Statesman)
- Oscar Pistorius granted bail in Reeva Steenkamp case (BBC News, Africa)
- Hysterical, Oversensitive Harpies (this ain't livin')
- Report finds shocking absence of women from UK public life (Observer, Politics)
- The 'Language' Gene and Women's Wagging Tongues (Scientific American)
- It's Tough to be a Reporter in a War Zone, for Both Men and Women (The Atlantic)
Image attribution and description: The image at the head of this post is called AmphitheaterNPS1; it is a public domain pictogram for an amphitheatre and was found at Wikimedia Commons.