Daily Mail solicits fuel for racist immigration stories

// 19 February 2008

A leaked email from a Daily Mail features writer is doing the rounds. It demonstrates the newspaper’s xenophobic agenda perfectly:

—–Original Message—–

From: rsreply@dwpub.com [mailto:rsreply@dwpub.com]

Sent: 13 February 2008 15:57

Subject: Response Source – Diana Appleyard , Daily Mail (Request for personal case study)

PUBLICATION: Daily Mail (Request for personal case study)

JOURNALIST: Diana Appleyard (staff)

DEADLINE: 14-February-2008 16:00

QUERY: I am urgently looking for anonymous horror stories of people who have employed Eastern European staff, only for them to steal from them, disappear, or have lied about their resident status. We can pay you £100 for taking part, and I promise it will be anonymous, just a quick phone call. Could you email me asap? Many thanks, Diana

Email: mailto:dianaappleyard@aol.com

Phone: not provided for use

Fax: 01296 738083 (preferred)

(Via Labourhome and Liberal Conspiracy)

Cara // Posted 19 February 2008 at 3:57 pm

I vote we send in some spoof responses ;-)

Christina // Posted 19 February 2008 at 6:04 pm

“Your desperate plea for ‘anonymous horror stories’ on Eastern Europeans gave me a good five minute chuckle today, by showing the Daily Mail as the xenophobic rag it really is. I only hope that at some point your conscience kicks in with a shred of guilt over the despicable hate peddling that earns your keep.”

Though I imagine her inbox is groaning under the weight of e-mails a bit more vitriolic than that. I won’t hold my breath for a reply.

Evie // Posted 19 February 2008 at 6:17 pm

Paul Dacre, editor of the Daily Mail and self-appointed guardian of the Morals of Middle England has a line in the c word that would cause a shipful of sailors to blush. He stomps into the office shouting and screaming at staff: “You f**ing c***” or for a change “You useless c***” The beleagured staff members of the Mail are now used to these foul mouthed tirades, and refer to them as ‘Paul’s Vagina Monologues’.

Clare // Posted 25 February 2008 at 12:04 am

No don’t send in spoof responses! They would just print them as fact…

Northern Jess // Posted 22 May 2008 at 3:27 pm

I am commenting on this because it is the first Daily Mail related post I could find. On 31 May fans of the band My Chemical Romance are planning a march on the Daily Mail in protest of the papers reactionary and untrue portreyal of the band promoting suicide in young people. Not that I want to hijack someone else’s protest, but surely this is a great oppertunity to protest the DM’s attitude in general? I’m gonna go to protest reactionary unfounded journalism, this email is another reason to protest, anyone want to join me?

Anna // Posted 22 May 2008 at 4:12 pm

I do feel like the Mail might have a point on that one – if I listened to MCR I’d want to kill myself.

Joachim // Posted 8 July 2009 at 9:51 am

it seems that the freedom of speech in this country is a little too uncontrolled. As papers caters to the mass pupulation they should be more filtered. Freedom of speech is one thing, persecussion is another

Elmo // Posted 9 November 2009 at 4:06 pm

hey i just saw an article on their website (no, i don’t know why i was on it either) about selfish working mums being unemployable because they take so much time off (written by the editor of vogue, who can obviously speak for every working mother in Britain)-plus one about why fat people only have themselves to blame for being fat, because apparently slow metabolism is just an excuse, and we all need to be thin thin thin because thin is normal and fat people are lazy and poor people deserve to be poor and women in skirts are sluts and blah blah blah bloody immigrants.

Anyhoo, it got me thinking-could we have a blog bit/article section of The F Word dedicated entirely examples of the Daily Fail and its constant failings- just so people would have somewhere to rant about them (Eg Northern Jess)-plus we could accumulate quite a lot of evidence as to why they really deserve to be shut down. Would that be useful? i dunno, but id like to hear what others think

Elmo // Posted 9 November 2009 at 4:14 pm

wait, ive thought of my reasons now-

it just goes on and on and on. They NEVER learn-even after the Steven Gatley thing they are STILL printing misogynistic, homophobic, trans phobic, racist *insert discrimination here* articles disguised as journalism-i think we should keep tabs on the tabs. i know theres other websites that do this, but there are SO many sexist articles (towards both men and women) that i think its an important issue. Ok now i really am finished.