Male Privilege Checklist
Louise Livesey // 8 February 2008
Of use to those of us who find ourselves banging our heads on the brickwall of male intransgience – how male privilege operates in 46 easy points.
My particular favourites include:
- 38. If I have a wife or live-in girlfriend, chances are we’ll divide up household chores so that she does most of the labor, and in particular the most repetitive and unrewarding tasks.
- 39. If I have children with a wife or girlfriend, chances are she’ll do most of the childrearing, and in particular the most dirty, repetitive and unrewarding parts of childrearing.
- 41. Magazines, billboards, television, movies, pornography, and virtually all of media is filled with images of scantily-clad women intended to appeal to me sexually. Such images of men exist, but are rarer.
- 44. Complete strangers generally do not walk up to me on the street and tell me to “smile.” (More: 1 2).
- 45. On average, I am not interrupted by women as often as women are interrupted by men.
- 46. I have the privilege of being unaware of my male privilege.
Actually, I like all of them. Definately worth a read and possibly printing multiple copies to give out…