This is what a feminist looks like….

// 26 February 2008

Photographer Patricia Nuss has been compiling pictures of feminists and short written statements about their feminism. It’s an interesting snapshot. Well worth a look but this is my favourite:

I was the girl who said, “no. I am not a feminist.” I was the girl who said, “all of my friends are guys.” I was the girl who felt being in the presence of females resulted in weakness. I was the girl who embodied androgyny so as not to be perceived as feminine or delicate. I was the girl who made sarcastic remarks in order to be perceived as emotionless and invincible. I was the girl who found sadistic delight in the subjugation of a feminine concept. I said I was the girl who never cried.

I am no longer this girl.

mia // Posted 27 February 2008 at 8:41 am

I used to be that girl, too.

rebelleink // Posted 27 February 2008 at 7:00 pm

I find that girl comfortable and hard to shake. My new glasses frames are pink…I’m working on it.

Andie Berryman // Posted 27 February 2008 at 7:27 pm

I once believed i could never trust women , i`m no longer that girl.

Sirriamnis // Posted 27 February 2008 at 8:09 pm

With the exception of having always identified myself as a feminist, I was that girl, too. For the first time in my life, I have multiple female friends whose company I enjoy. They are smart, funny, wickedly insightful.

I am very glad to not be that girl anymore.

M // Posted 27 February 2008 at 9:25 pm

I was her sometimes, too. But then it became quite clear that I couldn’t hide from sexism no matter what I did or how I acted, simply because I had a vagina, and it finally clicked.

kess // Posted 29 February 2008 at 3:59 am

just so you know, you can be a feminist and still wear pink. it’s how you relate to others and your belief in equality that makes you a feminist, not the color of your glasses.

Lisa // Posted 2 March 2008 at 4:14 pm

I’ve always been defined as ‘girly’ or ‘so feminine’ but out of many of the wonderful women I know, I am the one who talks SRHR, GBV, and finds it repulsive if a man makes a rude comment about my body when I’m walking down the street.

I’ve often been told that if I changed the way I dressed i.e. if I become less ‘feminine’ (read: sexaul), I would have an almost harrassment free life.

This would mean (to me) that I would be agreeing that men cannot ‘control’ themselves and that women who dress in ‘a certain way’ are the problem.

I didn’t sexaulise my body – my culture has – it’s got nothing to do with being feminine, girly, wearing pink etc. and is all about undermining women and glorifying men and male attributes.