Burka blue…

// 27 March 2008

Three Afghan women who perform anonymously in blue burkas have been signed by a German label, we learn from Shameless.

What are they called? The Burka Band of course!

Check out their excellent video here:

The main songwriter, Nargiz, says of the project: It was a lot of fun, but also very scary. Afghanistan is still a very dangerous place for modern women, and when we shot the video we had to do it very discretely because no one could know that we were playing music. Of course it was a joke to sing in the burkas, but it was also necessary to wear them. If people in Afghanistan knew who the members of the Burka Band were, we could be attacked or killed because there are still a lot of religious fanatics here.

Danielle // Posted 27 March 2008 at 11:59 pm

Wow! This is awesome! I’m writing a dissertation on Muslim women and feminism at the moment and this is definitely going to be mentioned!

I don’t know who these women are, but I love them!

Redheadinred // Posted 29 March 2008 at 2:08 pm

This is so funny and kinda clever. :)

Anne Onne // Posted 29 March 2008 at 3:40 pm

I think it’s fab. :D Way to go, and I wish them all the best.

I can’t help feeling both happy and sad, though. It’s great that they’re doing something different and cool, but sad that they have to be so careful, and live in fear.

sarah shaikh // Posted 31 March 2008 at 12:06 pm

sigh, this is sooo sooo sad. Islam is personal, these women should have total freedom to live as they please. It is between GOd and them to decide what is right and wrong, not me not you not a band of mullahs!

navaid husian // Posted 1 April 2008 at 8:29 am

Burqas are awful. Women should dress in a liberal manner

Dieter // Posted 2 April 2008 at 1:24 pm

Good for them. You have to feel for those poor ladies forced to wear those, ESPECIALLY considering how hot it gets over there. Just imagine…YIPES!

veiled // Posted 4 April 2008 at 2:21 am

classic example of art and creativity subverting the system once again,I love that! I bet the mullahs want these women to take their burqa’s off.

nice music too

ra chaudhry // Posted 16 April 2008 at 5:22 am

every human being has the right to show/ express his talent & share the views/opinions==& enjoy the life ..as long as it does not hurt the others feelings +does not encroach on others rights