Fox women don’t wear trousers

// 4 March 2008

I wonder if that’s in their contract?

(Via Feministing)

Suzi K // Posted 4 March 2008 at 7:24 pm

” See, here at Fox we like to be feminine so we don’t wear the pants”

I cannot believe that on a major network a comment like that would be broadcast by a woman.

Is America really THAT mysogynistic??

china blue // Posted 4 March 2008 at 8:35 pm

I despair. This made me think of one of those stupid jokes that ends in the punchline ‘…and more to the point, what’s she doing out of the kitchen?’

And the 2 male colleagues drooling until being gently told to shut up by the older female presenter… is this what news programmes have come to? I just don’t believe it.

maggie // Posted 4 March 2008 at 8:54 pm

god this has just really depressed me. Knowing about what kay burley said on Sky News the other day too. I think the world is just getting worse….is there any hope at all????????????????????????????????????

Legible Susan // Posted 4 March 2008 at 8:59 pm

“is this what news programmes have come to?” – well, not exactly news programmes. It is the Fox Propaganda and Election-Fixing Network we’re talking about, after all.

Catherine Redfern // Posted 5 March 2008 at 10:59 am

A few years ago women who worked at John Lewis HAD to wear skirts. I don’t know if this is still the case or not? I remember because a friend who I shared a flat with when I first came to London got a graduate job there and I was amazed when she told me about it! That was in 1999/2000-ish.

Cat H // Posted 5 March 2008 at 12:55 pm

Suzi K

>>Is America really that mysogynistic??

Taking into considerations some of the battles I’ve had online with American men then yes, I would say that certain parts of America are that mysogynistic.

chem_fem // Posted 5 March 2008 at 2:53 pm

Yep Catherine, that was me on Saturdays while I was at school, you had to buy your own uniform too. They were restrictive pencil skirts too, no matter that I had to fit children’s shoes which involved crouching down and going up and down ladders all day. That’s why I opted for the ugly ‘tent dress’ instead. It was massive but loose fitting.

That said men had to wear a jacket, long slieved shirt and tie and weren’t able to take off the jacket on hot days unless the specifically got permission.