Hat tip to Menstraual Poetry

// 10 March 2008

For highlighting this ad for Wii. There is so little I can say about this I won’t even bother trying.

Please someone tell me it’s a hoax…..?

Joanne Parker // Posted 10 March 2008 at 12:50 pm

I really really hope this is a hoax! It reminds me of somthing that nuts or zoo or some other “magazine” did quite recently. Basically it was a film of a greased up topless girl playing bowling on wii so her boobs jiggled about.Although it was a bit pointless really, considering she was very plastic and therefore restricted the amount of bounce.

Jennifer // Posted 10 March 2008 at 1:14 pm

I have no speakers at work and have no idea what they are saying, but the imagery is enough to turn me off.

I hope this is a hoax – Nintendo have previously been very fair and progressive with their advertising. The Wii has been equally marketed across gender, race and age (that is kinda the whole point of the console anyway – making gaming for “everyone”). I don’t know how to find out if it is genuine or not though.

dan // Posted 10 March 2008 at 1:51 pm

yeah its a hoax, its just one of the million of stupid takes on those annoying PC v’s Apple Mac ads that were around last year.

Louise Livesey // Posted 10 March 2008 at 2:41 pm

Do you have any evidence it’s a hoax?

Bryan // Posted 10 March 2008 at 3:06 pm

While I have no direct evidence that it is a hoax, I’m fairly sure that it is. I agree with Dan that it’s a very low-brow parody of the Mac vs PC ad campaign; all the Wii commercials that I have seen begin with the phrase “Wii would like to play,” and show people actually using the console in order to highlight the kinesthetic control system. Could be wrong, but fairly sure.

Louise Livesey // Posted 10 March 2008 at 3:26 pm

See YouTube is contradictory on it. One listing has it as comedy, the other as trailer as per other adverts. I suspect a hoax but there isn’t any evidence for it.

Seph // Posted 10 March 2008 at 6:07 pm

That does look very much like a hoax,as others have said it’s a parody of “pc. vs Mac”

They may be sexist enough to produce “Games for Girls!!!!” like “cooking Mama” but Nintendo have always been very focussed on the image of being a very nice, harmless, slightly silly company that would never do anything to corrupt your children.

Lara // Posted 10 March 2008 at 7:54 pm

This seems like a parody – it would definitely make me want to buy a PS3 over the Wii, it doesn’t even mention anything about the Wii itself!

Nenena // Posted 11 March 2008 at 10:16 am

It’s a half-hoax. It was aired on G4 TV as a comedy sketch. No official relation or endorsement from either Sony or Nintendo, thank God. But it was produced by an American cable network, which means that it’s more than just a fan-made video, unfortunately.

Jill // Posted 11 March 2008 at 12:03 pm

Actually, that clip is from G4, the gaming channel. From Attack of the Show, I believe.