The BNP stands up for women’s rights! (Or why they’re not only racist, xenophobic ballbags, but sexist as well).

// 18 March 2008

Feel the love oozing from former BNP Youth leader Mark Collett as he proclaims his human right to look at boobies (warning: may make your skin crawl. Starts at 2.00):

Not only is he a smarmy, sexist, racist little git, he also knows sweet f all about Greek and Roman culture: it was the male nude that was reverred, not the female. Maybe we should parade Mark in a low cut top down Leeds high street and see how he likes being sleezed on by racists.

Then again, I wouldn’t force that sight on my worst enemy…

Hat tip to the man of many ciders, Gareth.

Benjamin A'Lee // Posted 18 March 2008 at 7:30 pm

I love how he makes it not about a woman’s right not to be abused as she walks down the street, but about his right to look at women wearing low-cut tops. Then again, if he had a clue what he was talking about he wouldn’t be in the BNP.

Christina // Posted 18 March 2008 at 7:46 pm

I said: “Urgh, what a petty, insecure, racist little thug. “People who’ve been here five minutes”? Try second and third generation you ignorant moron. The BNP are just a bunch of xenophobic nutjobs that need to demonise other groups in order to make themselves feel better about their own miserable little lives, probably sobbing into their Princess Di mugs and complaining that things aren’t the way they were in some mythical golden era while they do so. Rot in hell Collett.”

‘Comment pending approval’. Yeah, no shit. You have to wonder why there’s only nine so far. Honest to god, people like him just infuriate me.

EBaezaChavez // Posted 18 March 2008 at 8:28 pm

And the award for disingenuity goes to…….! I am no fan of the aspects of even mainstream Islam that oppress women, but it never fails to amaze me how racists like Colllett jump on the abuse of women for their own political capital. As if life for women under the BNP would be a haven! I have noticed it in the mainstream media too. The same commentators who deride anything pro women are the same who rush to defend the rights of muslim women from the “tyranny” of their religion Hypocritical, much?

Also correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the Romans invade Colletts’ beloved Albion?

Redheadinred // Posted 18 March 2008 at 11:12 pm

Oh my f*ing god, this is a disgrace. Things like this make me wish there was some kind of misogyny filter so I could spend one f*ing day without it coming at me from all sides. He’s just like every other conservative idiot who wants to have us believe they give a damn about women when they’re really all about serving their dicks. So the poor widdle misogynist isn’t getting his fair share of wank-fodder? Maybe those women in short skirts have a RIGHT not to be treated as meat by someone like him.

Jennifer // Posted 19 March 2008 at 10:18 am

It would be nice to have a transcript of this, if possible. (well…it probably won’t be nice at all, but I would like to know what he said as I cannot listen to the sound)

Lynne Miles // Posted 19 March 2008 at 10:51 am

Hi there Jennifer. Sorry I won’t get the chance to do this today as I’m at work, and out tonight. If anyone else has time on their hands do chip in.

The relevant section basically is him asserting that women walking along the street in revealing clothes have been spat and shouted at by some (we presume Muslim) men. He goes on not to defend the right of those women to walk without being spat on, but the right of HIM as a red-blooded, anglo-saxon man to drive along in his car and admire the beauty of the female form. Also a bit on how it is Western Cultural Heritage to ogle women and, as such, should be sacrosanct. In short – those immigrants are getting in the way of his culturally mandated human right to ogle tits.

Leigh Woosey // Posted 19 March 2008 at 12:20 pm

Laura // Posted 19 March 2008 at 12:30 pm

I have no idea where I picked that up from, but it is my current insult of choice. I have a sneaking suspicion that Curb Your Enthusiasm may be to blame…

Jennifer // Posted 19 March 2008 at 12:52 pm

Lynne – Thanks for giving me the gist of it.

I am now, however, feeling about the same amount of anger as Redheadinred. The comments in support of the videa are just as depressing. I wonder how many more are “in moderation”?

Steph Jones // Posted 19 March 2008 at 1:46 pm

Racist, xenophobic, sexist, oh, and you forgot homophobic if we remind ourselves of what Nick Griffin is known to have written post-Soho nail bombing in 1999.

It amazes me that people think they actually represent British people… in fact they only represent people of a certain set of values and beliefs…

Laura M // Posted 19 March 2008 at 2:56 pm

Apart from anything else (I feel quite sick)…ancient Greek and Roman culture is British now? :P

Stephie // Posted 19 March 2008 at 6:12 pm

It’s what his ancestors died for? Eh? They died so he could be a lechorous little halfwit who has clearly failed GCSE history miserably?

Dear, oh dear.

Words actually fail me.

Nicola // Posted 19 March 2008 at 7:22 pm

I’d like to know where he gets his “facts” from. I live in Leeds & I know it’s far more likely for women in low-cut tops to receive abuse from non-Muslim men like this little toad.

alexmac // Posted 19 March 2008 at 9:21 pm

hello…i am new here and watching his made my blood boil. oh the shame. can i also point people to BNP wives ( a recent docuementary) that showed wives of BNP candidates and female candidates themselves. some of their views on other women left me open mouthed and red faced. i highly recommend it.

Leigh Woosey // Posted 19 March 2008 at 11:24 pm

No worries, Laura. But I really wouldn’t want my man-bits denigrated by comparison to the utter fool in the video!

Laura // Posted 20 March 2008 at 9:40 am

Ha! Fair enough, Leigh. I think the vast majority of insults are genitalia based and my view is if we use all of them in an equally flippant way (and I’m including cunt in this, though obviously not in front of the grandparents!) then the potential for insult or sexism is lost.

Samantha // Posted 20 March 2008 at 7:05 pm

Ugh. If I could stamp on his neck I would, and I’m a pacifist. Arrogant, slimy morons annoy me enough as it is, without being arrogant, slimy morons while trying to convince me they have something intelligent and/or politically relevant to say. Argh!

Kirsten // Posted 20 March 2008 at 11:37 pm

The complete lack of historical awareness makes my head hurt. ‘Modesty’ has been praised as a feminine virtue in he Western world for centuries.

Megan // Posted 2 May 2008 at 6:17 pm

“Our ancestors fought…”

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t our ancestors fight in the second world war so that our country didn’t capitulate to those who had exactly the same venemous ideas as you?

And “our culture” is what it has been for “10,000 years” because during those 10,000 years we have been invaded by X,Y and Z. For centuries and millenia people have migrated to and from this country; the idea of anybody in this country, even the white british who you revere, being “pure blood” is ridiculous.

^THAT is what it means to be British… having a rich and diverse heritage, which makes using ‘Britishness’ as a pretext for superiority over minorities and as a pretext for the claim that they should be deported completely contradictory.

I love how his answer to those who ask him “What is it to be British?” is to fling words such as ‘arrogant’ at them rather than saying something consisting of any intellectual fibre.

koikoikoi // Posted 20 May 2008 at 11:29 pm

Die Herkunft des Koi

In der heutigen Zeit gezüchtete Kois kommen hauptsächlich aus

Japan, gezüchtet wird aber auch neben Südafrika in Singapur und Israel.

Es kommen gerade in Europa viele neue „Euro“-Mischformen vor, die aus den hochwertigen ‚

Original-Koi’ aus Japan und bei uns ansässigen Koiarten entstanden oder gezüchtet worden sind.

find more at koi-mag com

Jen Goodall // Posted 8 June 2008 at 10:59 am

But he’s right- and there is nothing sexist about what he said. As a woman, I like to be able to wear short skirts etc. on nights out or in the summer. It is my right to make that choice. I disapprove that muslims feel it is OK to frown on what we Western women wear. Again, it’s evidence that their culture is simply not compatible with ours.

Steph Jones // Posted 8 June 2008 at 1:20 pm

Jen: Whilst I appreciate what you are saying, I think the context of the BNP video is what is critical. After all, what is Mark Collett actually saying? He’s not so much saying its a womens right to wear these things, and how such freedoms may or may not be permitted by other religions, its the fact that its centred around ‘him’ and other men – e.g. women should be able to wear short skirts, etc. not because its the womans choice, but because its “us mens right” to be able to perv at women dressed at such.

I still suggest that the BNP only really truly represents a subsection of white, heterosexual, males with ‘certain’ values. Whilst they proclaim their inclusivity when they want some tactical votes (“BNP is totally on the side of 1st gen Asian immigrants”, “BNP has no problem with gay Brits”, “BNP cares about women – they’re our mothers, sisters and daughters after all”), I think such inclusivity is empty gestured.

Anne Onne // Posted 8 June 2008 at 1:51 pm

Actually, he just wants the right to ogle and harass to be solely limited to nice white racists like him. He doesn’t discourage all men from harassing women who choose who wear what they wish, but only the men he personally doesn’t like. As if women’s bodies are his to decide who has access to them.

Jen, It’s your right to make that choice, and not be harassed by anybody, black, white, native, or foreign. We here don’t deny that, and we’re fully for women’s rights to go about their business and not be harassed by anyone, for whatever reason. I think I can probably speak for feminism in that.

But listen for a second. Is this man really defending your right to not be harassed by ANY MAN? Is he really saying ‘Hey, women are people, so let’s leave them to enjoy their lives in peace’?

No. He doesn’t actually talk about women. He’s not actually defending your right to not be harassed because you’re a person, but because he sees ‘white women’ as belonging to ‘white men’ like him, and if women get ‘spat at’ by other men, they might cover up, and then he can’t enjoy the ‘pleasure’ of leering at them.

And his reasons are pathetic. Seeking to justify his selfish desire for titillation by some messed up idea that Western culture has at it’s centre the female form…Riiight. Then all the male statues and male depictions on pottery I studied were my imagination playing up. It’d fry his mind to realise the male form was much more revered than the female.

His complete misunderstanding of history aside, his reasoning is ‘some old people made statues of women, therefore it’s my right as a man to ogle women, and ogling women is central to society!’. This guy is so self centred, he turns the human rights of women not to be harassed into his ‘human rights’ to ogle women, because his grandparents fought for it. Yes, sure, your grandfather fought all those nasty Muslims so you could ogle your women. I believe it was called ‘The Battle of the Boobs’.What? You mean he didn’t?

And the ‘…and these people want to take it away from us!’ bit is hilarious. You can imagine him screaming ‘Myyyy boooobs! How can they take away my boobs? I demand boobs on my high street!’

And let’s face it, if we look on the Street harassment thread here on the F word, we can easily see that the majority of harassment comes from white men who don’t ‘disapprove’ of our clothing, but decide that their approval matters, seek to make their ideas known. Harassment occurs because certain men think their ideas are so important they should express them, and don’t give a crap about what women think, or what they want, or what is best for women.

He’s using women’s rights as a cover for abusing other members of society, and it shows. This guy can’t even sincerely speak about women, when he’s supposedly defending them. And I for one won’t have myself or my rights used as a shield for bigotry and racism, when the BNP would hurl me under a bus at the nearest opportunity.

Anyone who tries to defend women’s rights probably shouldn’t state their reason for doing so is to ogle them, if they want to be taken seriously. He’s just as bad as any of the men he mentioned.

Anna // Posted 8 June 2008 at 2:38 pm

Sounds like you frown on what Muslims choose to wear to me. A hell of a lot of secular people don’t approve of being dressed in that manner either, especially the elderly. Are you suggesting the elderly are incompatible with ‘british’ culture?

Though I wear long sleeves and trousers at all times due to scarring on my limbs, I receive a hell of a lot of street (and elsewhere) harassment, abuse, rape threats.. ALL off white, british males. I cannot think of an occasion in which I’ve been threatened by a non-British male, and certainly not by a Muslim.

Remember this is a party who think that rape is no worse than forcefeeding a woman chocolate.

Mohamed // Posted 18 July 2008 at 4:35 pm

Democracy on the face of it or is it Legalised racism!

Rosie // Posted 23 April 2010 at 10:31 pm

Our ancestors died for womens’ figures? (Wasn’t that just 1 war, the Trojan war?) I’ve never been spat at by men of a different race; these people have in fact been here for more than 5 minutes, and I wouldn’t like to be ogled at by the likes of *him*.