What are you doing for International Women’s Day?

// 7 March 2008

Like you need telling, but tomorrow is International Women’s Day. What began in 1908 with a 15,000 woman strong march through New York City to demand better pay, shorter hours and the vote, now involves thousands of events across the globe.

You can check out the official IWD website for info on what is going on in your own area, but if you’re in London you’ll be spoilt for choice.

Many of us at The F Word will be out on the streets for the Million Women Rise march, starting in Hyde Park at 12pm. Also check out the march’s list of demands to end violence against women.

But there’s also Capital Woman 2008. Angela Davis will be speaking, but there’s a whole range of workshops and speeches and presentations.

And those are just the big ones in London. Check out this listings for similar events up and down the country.

Look, we never run out of bad news stories to report. It’s enough to get anyone down. I don’t just see these events as an opportunity to protest, but as an opportunity to get out there and do something positive. You don’t have to do anything too political if you don’t want – but even if you just want to go see a movie, you can be supporting IWD and women film-makers. See, it’s easy.

Photo by airefresco, shared under a Creative Commons license

Anji // Posted 7 March 2008 at 5:54 pm

I’m going to a music/comedy gig tonight, organised by the Portsmouth University Feminist Society. Then tomorrow my fellow South Coast Feminists and I will be getting the train up to London to take part in Million Woman Rise. I’m really looking forward to it! :D

Mwezzi // Posted 7 March 2008 at 6:44 pm

The Glasgow Feminist Network is launching a stall in the city centre tomorrow, and we’ve even got SheBoom along to play for us :) Tomorrow we’re having a club night to raise money for a couple of local women’s shelters and charities.

Suzi K // Posted 7 March 2008 at 7:28 pm

I was going to be leading a (very small) contingent of students from Ruskin up, in the first event since I got elected Womens Officer.

However I took a fall carrying my daughter and was lucky to not break my ankle and I’m on strict bed rest.

So shout extra loud for me please!! I’m there in spirit if not in (somewhat dented) body!

Laura // Posted 7 March 2008 at 7:47 pm

Get well soon Suzi!

Stephanie // Posted 7 March 2008 at 9:17 pm

Going on a Feminist Walking Tour in Dublin organised by the good people of Choice Ireland!! :)

Susan Francis // Posted 8 March 2008 at 9:05 pm

Signing Oxfam’s “Six Million More” pledge and watching their slideshows.

Genevieve // Posted 9 March 2008 at 12:34 am

I would love to do something feminist today…but sadly I cannot as I am snowed in. Ohio weather sucks, that’s all there is to it.