Rape victim arrested for sex with minor

// 4 April 2008

So a woman reports being drugged, then repeatedly raped by three teenagers. Those teenagers video the attack, and post it on YouTube. She is initially too scared to report the crime to the police, but eventually does so. No charges are brought – against the teenage boys. But she is charged with sex with a minor and perverting the course of justice. Her own children have been put on the Child Protection Register.

The Wimbledon Guardian has the full story, including this detail:

The footage shows the mum having sex with the teens, while she is seemingly unconscious. Two of her children are heard crying in the background and at times the youths laugh into the camera.

Angry? Here’s some ideas on how to channel it.

(Via brand new feminist)

Clare // Posted 4 April 2008 at 3:07 pm

This is so disgusting I don’t know what to say. At the moment, I feel totally silenced by it, but I will certainly be writing to my MP when I am able to think calmly again.

Stephie // Posted 4 April 2008 at 3:07 pm

That’s shocking. It just seems like the authorities making an effort to actively dissuade people from reporting rapes…

tigtog // Posted 4 April 2008 at 3:29 pm

My news alert on “feminist” popped this story up, because Mens News Daily is spinning it that the mother planned the sex with the teens and then later “cried rape”, and that, naturellement, it’s all feminism’s fault.

Apparently the video of the rape was up on YouTube for months despite complaints as well.

Jennifer // Posted 4 April 2008 at 4:00 pm

That is so horrific…like Clare, I just don’t know what to say at the moment.

I don’t think I could even follow the Mens News Daily link because I just don’t want to get that upset at work.

Fuck. Hopefully I will have something more constructive to add later when not so shocked.

Jess McCabe // Posted 4 April 2008 at 4:02 pm

That’s exactly how I feel, Jennifer. It really has left me speechless.

The story makes me angry enough without having to process what Men’s News Daily might have to say on the subject!!!!

Lauren O // Posted 4 April 2008 at 7:55 pm

How is this possible? This is like some sort of nightmare. I just don’t understand.

I’m an American and thus have no MP to write to. Is there anyone that anyone knows of that I can write to?

That Men’s News Daily article is really sickening. The guy who wrote it says that the woman is a child molester and the rapists are victims. In order to solve this, we need to ban the Vagina Monologues. Seriously, that’s the conclusion he comes to: “A take-away worth learning and pursuing: Universities must not allow productions of the ‘Vagina Monologues’ or V-Day ‘celebrations’ on campus.”

Li // Posted 4 April 2008 at 8:33 pm

I am just so disgusted. This is horrible. Not only was this woman raped but the whole experience was seen by hundreds on the internet, and now she’s been arrested for it? Are minors incapable of rape now or something? I don’t remember that law being passed.

I can’t even bear to read what Mens News Daily has to say about this. How could she possibly have planned this? There’s evidence, people. This is just horribly bizarre.

Laura // Posted 4 April 2008 at 8:38 pm

Sickening. There just aren’t words… :-(

JENNIFER DREW // Posted 4 April 2008 at 8:45 pm

Li rightly asks where is the evidence. Well mensdaily news very kindly provides it. Apparently this young woman orchestrated her own multiple rape by teen boys (sorry should have said multiple sexual pleasures with teen boys). This young woman according to mensnews is a star in the making because she faked appearing to be unconscious in the youtube video which has been avidly viewed by over 600 individuals. Now if mensnews says this young woman faked it well it must be true after all mensnews are objective and dispassionate are they not? Wrong they are misogynstic and women-hating. For the record men rape 80,000 women each year and the now defunct Home Office concedes that rape is predominantly committed by men. Still, who cares when ‘poor innocent’ boys are victimised. As for the film – well it is a forgery – need I say more? Ah evidence of how men raping 80,000 a woman emanates from. Well, it is the British Crime Survey Survey, 2004 wherein Walby & Allen extracted the statistics. But then Walby and Allen are feminists so their research is pseudo research. Remember never trust feminist research it is women-biased and misandristic.

As for the young woman – well what can I say – only she is being scapegoated in order to send a message to all women. Don’t bother reporting a man/men/teen boy(s) has/have raped you because the police and CPS will charge you with perverting the course of justice. So, do we still need feminism – well I know the answer to that and it is not no.

Seph // Posted 4 April 2008 at 9:42 pm

I feel like i’m about to vomit, what the hell is with this screwed-up country?

Do people really think that even if she actually did fake unconciousness (God knows why) she’d be stupid enough to put it on youtube and then go to the police?

Excuse me, I need to go break something.

Lena // Posted 4 April 2008 at 10:05 pm

I never expected this… it makes me sick to think that those boys are getting away with it and that poor woman is portrayed as a child molester! She just went through possibly the most traumatic thing in her life, and not only was it filmed and uploaded so millions of people could watch it, but she’s been ARRESTED FOR IT? And her children could be taken away too!

I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets charged with illegal drug use next…

V. // Posted 4 April 2008 at 10:45 pm

I’m truly horrified. Many others have expressed my thoughts more concisely than I’m able to right now; all I want to do is scream some four-letter-words and smash something – preferably the author of the MND article’s f*cking face.

I can’t believe that this is happening in MY country and in 2008.

Redheadinred // Posted 5 April 2008 at 5:52 am

There is so much work to be done. I am actually sick of this bloody country, I want to get out when I hear things like this.

How much woman-hating can this country possibly sweep under the rug? This is our job, to get it out there and seen and counter it, but I worry sometimes that there’s not enough of us.

barbarajanescott // Posted 5 April 2008 at 11:11 am

Like everyone else, I can’t believe this. It’s depressing how just when you think you’ve heard it all something even more appalling and outrageous turns up. Completely sickening. As for the Mens Daily News thing, I’m speechless.

Alex T // Posted 5 April 2008 at 3:27 pm

This is why we still need feminism.

Melanie // Posted 6 April 2008 at 1:42 am

I am appalled that this could happen!

anonymous // Posted 6 April 2008 at 1:06 pm

the police don’t arrest rape victims

it just doesn’t happen

there are quite clearly a few details that we do not know that have contributed to her arrest, so you should stop passing judgement based solely on this extremely biased report

Anna // Posted 6 April 2008 at 1:26 pm

Actually, I got threatened with being charged with possession of class A substances and wasting police time after I got halfway through my rape statement and didn’t want to continue in order to coerce me into going into detail about my rape. So yeah, it does happen.

Lizzy // Posted 7 April 2008 at 10:44 pm

Interesting that this person decided to remain anonymous.

The police’s and legal system’s approach to rape cases is already completely screwed up. This case shocks me but sadly does not surprise me.

rose hasty // Posted 8 April 2008 at 12:04 am

It is not uncommon at all for women in the UK to be prosecuted for supposedly “false allegations” of rape. This is just a step on from that as the boys were underage so it can therefore be turned into a charge of statutory rape. This is similar to the recent case in the US (I saw coverage on feministing) where a college woman was gang raped. The brutal attack was filmed and it was still claimed that she was “pretending” to be raped.

How distressing that we can literally watch groups of men rape women and pretend what we are looking at is a dramatisation rather than face the reality. Alot of men are raping alot of women, often.

K // Posted 9 April 2008 at 7:26 pm

I couldn’t believe this could possibly be true when I read the tiny snippet the Telegraph had on it.

I’m absolutely sickened.

Toy Soldier // Posted 11 April 2008 at 7:27 pm

Actually, the woman was not arrested for the Youtube incident, but as a result of a separate incident in which the woman raped a 14-year-old boy the previous year: “A spokesperson for the Scotland Yard said the woman, 24, was arrested on March 24 and released on bail until May in relation to the alleged rape last year.”

So the two incidents are not the same. As a side note, it is sad to see that so many here condone this woman (allegedly) raping a 14-year-old boy for her own pleasure.

Anna // Posted 11 April 2008 at 8:06 pm

I’d really like to see where at any point anyone condoned rape of either gender.

I also don’t see where that article says the two incidents are unconnected. In fact, the incident took place in November last year. And, even more clearly “in connection to the alleged rape”.

Learn to fucking read, honestly.

rose hasty // Posted 12 April 2008 at 12:57 am

Christ, what a moron.

Toy Soldier // Posted 12 April 2008 at 1:07 am

There is no reason to be impolite. However, one should read more carefully. The reference to the “alleged rape last year” was in regards to the woman’s arrest, not her alleged gang rape. One can see this in another article where the explanation was not separated.

In regards to condoning the rape of boys, please reference Lauren Q , Li, Jennifer Drew and rosy hasty;s comments. All of them dismissed, mocked and derided this boy as essentially lying about being raped by this woman in an effort to get away with rape. Ironically, no one considered it possible that this woman did the same thing in regards to her assault. Likewise, no one concidered it possible that the 14-year-old boy was in fact raped against his will and is an actual victim.

I am not in any way stating that one cannot consider it acceptable for women to sexually assault boys. However, it does not make sense to suggest that just because this woman may have been victimized that it is impossible that she is also a rapist, having committed the act prior to her own assault.

chem_fem // Posted 12 April 2008 at 2:50 pm

Toy soldier, I consider it impolite to make accusations of condoning rape where there are none. If there was a separate attack, and it is unknown to commenters speaking on a subject, then how can they either condone or condemn that of which they are unaware.

As for the woman lying about her assault: if you are talking about the taped assault, where the woman is unconscious throughout the recording, where there is laughing from those recording the assault and those filming then place the footage for all to see on the web then I would think that it is less likely to consider the woman a lier if her account of events are backed up by film evidence.

If you are talking about a possible second incident, of which commenters are unaware, how can you expect said commenters to refer to it. you can only go on the information you have.

chem_fem // Posted 12 April 2008 at 2:52 pm

can I add that I for one also cannot see any reference to a second incident in that article.