How to choose your PC peripherals

// 29 May 2008

I need a new flash drive to store my research on. So I go to, and see this utter piece of genius.

Yes, it’s a PINK flash drive. So who is it for? Why, for the ladies, of course. “The SanDisk Cruzer Fleur is a sleek, feminine, cap-less USB Flash Drive designed specially for women of all ages.” The product description goes on to explain how to use a pen drive, just in case our pretty little heads can’t get to grips with this newfangled technology.

I don’t know about you, but when I’m buying this sort of thing I’m looking for storage space and a decent price. I’m not all that fussed about its sleekness and its ‘femininity’ (which I can only assume actually means ‘pinkness’). Seriously, if this kind of thing didn’t happen ALL THE SODDING TIME, I’d laugh.

Soirore // Posted 29 May 2008 at 1:19 pm

I’ve left a review of the item on although I don’t know if they’ll publish it. We should all do it; give these products 1 star and explain why. They’d surely see sense after a while right?

Lew // Posted 29 May 2008 at 2:28 pm

I’d love to say something sensible and coherent, but I can’t. I can, however, say-

SanDisk are quite clearly the authority on technology for women.

Because we -all- know that a gadget has to be specially designed for women to use, or they’ll get their sweet little heads in a mess trying to work it.

Thanks for this post, restored my will to live for a few hours =]

Sarah // Posted 29 May 2008 at 2:58 pm

I am struggling to see how exactly this is ‘specially designed’ for women, other than being pink of course!

Leanne // Posted 29 May 2008 at 3:00 pm

I bought a pink flash drive the other week because I love the colour – it was cheap for the capacity AND pretty. Maybe society’s got to me?!

That one is ridiculous, though. Do I see flowers on there?

Carrie // Posted 29 May 2008 at 3:02 pm

The stupid thing is, I actually needed a different colour flash drive (I have a silver one and a blue one that I use regularly), and the pink one would have been ideal. But now they’ve annoyed me, so I’m not buying it.

Eef // Posted 29 May 2008 at 3:39 pm

While I’m normally all for pink things I’m not about to pay £30 for a 4gb usb stick when the 8gb one by the same manufacturer in blue is only £15. The problem to me is less the fact that it’s marketed at women with the colour and more the fact that they’re using it’s supposed girliness as an excuse to charge twice the price. It’s another tech product that assumes all us women are noobs who’ll pay extra just to get it in pink

Anne Onne // Posted 29 May 2008 at 4:08 pm

Exactly! The irony is, I actually like the ‘masculine’ ie default colours of silver, black or whatever.

Like with anything else, I don’t resent there being more colour uptions, as long as it’s that, colour options, of which they make pink one.

The main thing is practicality, storage space and price, and it’s wrong of them to charge an exorbitant price for simply changing the colour to make it appeal to women. I get the feeling that they assume women won’t be tech (or price!) savvy, and will willingly pay a huge price just so their gear can be pink. Urgh.

I don’t actually mind the colour, but marketing and this kind of stuff really pushes me closer and closer to disliking it.

And of course, gadgets like this don’t NEED to be designed for women.

I’ll admit some intelligent designing in some areas would be useful ergonomically, taking into account the average size of women, but in this case, I really can’t think of anything preventing women using normal flash drives. I have a few, and they are un-pink (whatever standard colour was reasonably priced at the time), and I’m very much alive.

Sarah // Posted 29 May 2008 at 5:38 pm

I agree Anne, I have come across products where a version tailored for women is useful – I’m thinking of power tools, gardening tools, bicycle saddles, rucksacs etc where the default version tends to be designed for men and hence inconvenient for a small, woman-shaped person like me. But when they just make the same thing in pink and slap a higher price tag on it – well, that is just insulting. Especially when it’s something like a flash drive where there’s no sense to having a special ‘women’s version’ anyway.

rbrta // Posted 29 May 2008 at 6:37 pm

When my 17 year old daughter was looking for a new phone last year she found a nice bright pink one (why not? its her choice!). it was more expensive than the ‘macho’ black one but came with much fewer techy bits – like smaller memory, no video camera – & some other ‘bits’ i don’t remember. How annoying.

Lucy // Posted 29 May 2008 at 10:18 pm

Also going to leave a review about this on the site…i buy a lot from Play and had to see them describing this in such a sexist way, even if that is clearly what it’s designed as. Slightly sheepish to realise that the (white!) usb stick that i bought from there the other day is the same brand as this – wish i hadn’t helped their profits!

Depresso // Posted 29 May 2008 at 10:22 pm

They also inflame the grammar nazi in me (it’s like being a feminazi, but more red pencils) with “Just plug the drive into your USB port and your ready to go.”

My ready to go what?

gcc // Posted 30 May 2008 at 11:10 am

seriously, i dont know how you girls can go on living with such outrages lol!

Lindsey // Posted 30 May 2008 at 12:11 pm

I want write them a review but I don’t want to sign up to That thing isn’t even grown up feminine, it might as well be Barbie branded.

Soirore // Posted 30 May 2008 at 2:16 pm

Well didn’t put up my review anyway. They obviously want it to sell so won’t put anything negative.

Nella // Posted 30 May 2008 at 6:56 pm

Hmm. I have a purple phone and mp3 player, would have bought Superdrug’s controversial pink and silver screwdrivers if they hadn’t cost more than plain blue ones, tend to bling up items such as my computer mouse for the fun of it, and would as such probably be delighted to have a pink memory stick to match my favourite biro. (especially with the innuendo potential of ‘pink memory stick’!) This advert STILL annoys me.

Helen G // Posted 30 May 2008 at 8:05 pm

Well I’m tickled pink to have just bought a “Ladies Pink Tool Kit (42pc)” from my local garage – for the princessly sum of £4.99, supposedly reduced from £14.99.

I work in IT support so can actually put this to good use. Not sure I’m terribly ‘ladylike’, though…

Alyssa // Posted 2 June 2008 at 6:27 am

Am I the only one that thinks that hole on the end reminds you of the shape of a pregnancy test? Something about the colors too… Maybe they paired up with EPT to boost sales subconsciously.