Live Blogging: The One Show’s take on SATC

// 14 May 2008

BBC’s The One Show has just “celebrated” the new Sex and the City film by having a gob-smacking montage of sexist comments about women and men.

First they interviewed seemingly all the sexists on the streets of London, who all said things like “Men and Women are TOTALLY different and will never understand each other!” “Men leave the toilet seat up!” “Women nag!” And so on.

Adrian Chiles said something about believing that women and men are the same really, but then introduced a clip from Child of Our Time which supposedly showed that men and women are genetically hard-wired to be different. The clip showed children tasting two drinks, Rocket Pop (blue) and Princess Pop (pink). The drinks were the same but the boys rated the Rocket higer and the girls the Princess pop. Very interesting, but this was presented as if it was conclusive proof that men were from Mars and Women were from Venus.

Then we were told that there would be a contest at the end of the show which would prove which sex was the better, ha ha ha, called, and I kid you not, “Heels or Wheels”. Hilarious!

Oh for goodness sake… I feel like I’ve just been hit over the head with a sexist mallet.

The thing that frustrates me about this approach to covering the sex and the City film is that SATC was so NOT about putting forward the Mars/Venus viewpoint. It portrayed men and women as human beings with individual perspectives and emotions. If anything I would say it actually tried to go against that whole Mars/Venus thing. I never once viewed it and thought, goodness, men and women are SO different and will never understand each other.

The other part of the whole SATC hype that I find quite interesting is the assumption that what we all REALLY want to see is Carrie getting married to Big. It seems that they’re assuming SATC fans think that getting married is the only really important goal, that this would be the end of the story.

Well I say – bollocks. Absolute bollocks. That’s not why I’m going to see the film. But I’ll talk more about this later.

Sorry if this post is rushed and crappy, but I’m sat here watching the One Show getting more infuriated. I’d better turn it off now… oh, it’s finished. Phew!

yeomanpip // Posted 14 May 2008 at 7:45 pm

I have watched The One Show in the past, but haven’t recently because of something that was said, that I considered to be very sexist.

Unfortunately I can’t remember what it was, sorry!

But this is wrong, this is a show with an average of 3.2 million viewers, or about 20% share of the market.

If anyone wishes to complain they should go to

Mary Tracy9 // Posted 14 May 2008 at 9:14 pm

What I want to know is WHEN will the BBC get the note that WE FEMINISTS ARE HERE, we are LISTENING and we don’t LIKE WHAT THEY ARE DOING WITH THE TAXES THAT WE PAY!

As fellow tax payers, don’t we deserve as much representation as the old fart idea of Mars and Venus?

Eddus // Posted 14 May 2008 at 9:44 pm

I try to avoid The One Show as much as I can, a while back they had a whole week of hilarious “trials” to prove the differences between men and woman. You know, the usual offensive stereotypes were dragged out again.

It’s depressing that this is such a popular show.

Jennifer-Ruth // Posted 15 May 2008 at 10:29 am

I saw the first 3 minutes of the One Show last night…after they introduced the first article I turned around to my boyfriend and said “I’m turning over now, otherwise I am likely to get very, very angry.”

Sometimes I can’t believe it is 2008 and people still believe that women aren’t human beings. We’re just sooooooooo different from men!

Jenna Willis // Posted 15 May 2008 at 11:01 pm

I watched the One Show last night and was outraged! That show is meant to be informative, and all it seemed to be doing was reinforcing ignorant attitudes towards women and men.

I couldn’t bring myself to turn over, I wanted to watch the whole thing…so I could write a decent complaint to the BBC.

On a different note…but still on the BBC (BBC News no less). If you’re not aware, Manchester CIty Centre was taken over by 200,000 Scottish football fans yesterday. (It was quite an intimidating place to be, for anyone) During a report from the centre, a woman was being interviewed, asking what she thought about the events of the day. A clearly drunk, topless man spotted the camera and veered (or perhaps leered) straight for the woman. Called her “gorgeous”, and clearly invaded her personal space. The woman appeared quite uncomfortable after being put on the spot. Outright, unnecessary sexual innuendo where the man assumed it was his right to grab a woman he had never met before….the BBC showed this clip repeatedly, as if we were meant to think “oh he’s cheeky isn’t he”. My boyfriend and I sat there, absolutely appalled that the BBC had condoned this behaviour.

Is this really what we pay our Licence Fee for?

Emily // Posted 3 August 2009 at 7:40 pm

Surely not. 10 minutes ago I tuned into the One Show for the first time and was absolutely appalled by the story the show opened with. Harriet Harman has apparently caused controversy by stating that a government run entirely by men would be a nightmare, admittedly a sexist statement to make though backed up with ample proof in history…Anyway, what the One Show decided to do was ignore any opportunity to undermine any form of sexism and identify men and women as equal beings and rather reduce any positive feminist message Harman was trying to imply to some ridiculous feature reinforcing all the old stereotypes about men and women.

I refuse to believe that those clips they selected provide an accurate representation of the responses they received, they certainly wouldn’t have wanted to come across me. No, they just selected those captions that idealised the old sexist tripe they clearly want to promote.

I could not believe what I was seeing, this is meant to be the BBC! The BBC in 2009! At least one good thing came of this evening. Gob smacked with what I’d just seen I typed in “one show- sexist” to Google to see if I was the only one who shared this point of view and came across this site. How refreshing it is to discover other people who are sick and tired with the sexist crap that still permeates our society. Honestly, the One Show!? It wouldn’t annoy me so much if it didn’t pretend to be credible. What we have here is television’s answer to the Daily Mail. Why don’t they just save the money and play out one of Goebbels’ wireless rants every night at 7.