Sexism sells

// 26 May 2008

(Via WIMN’s Voices)

Laura // Posted 26 May 2008 at 8:21 pm

Oh my god. I can’t stomach any more of that. Fuck the lot of ’em.

How the hell do feminists watch the news in the US?

Seph // Posted 26 May 2008 at 11:55 pm

That’s just…urgh, it’s disgusting to see so many reporters acting like 8 year olds “eew! no-one vote for the *girl* she’s got girl cooties!”

Lew // Posted 27 May 2008 at 12:05 am

The worst was the comment about “PMS and mood-swings”.

In the words of someone from the “This is what a feminist looks like” group on Facebook – If I meet you, I will hospitalise you.

Ledh // Posted 27 May 2008 at 8:43 am

This was so painful to watch. “Women can’t be world leaders, they need to cook and wash and clean! What -are- we going to do? Let’s make it look as if she’s incompetent solely for being… a woman!”

Amy // Posted 27 May 2008 at 10:42 am

This film made me feel sick… it’s horrible. The quotes are good, just a shame that one of the women quoted (Gloria Steinem) has now done a complete u-turn in her views and thinks women should stay at home and have babies! (She wrote a Daily Mail article about it a few weeks ago.)

If you go to the original link by the way you can sign a petition against this sort of media treatment of women.

Ariel Silvera // Posted 27 May 2008 at 11:35 am

I cannot say I’m surprised, specially as most of those come from Faux News… but still, your one whom, after asked by BillO’ about the disadvantages of having a woman in power, goes “you mean besides PMS and mood swings?”

I mean seriously, is this 2008? or 1808?

Amy // Posted 27 May 2008 at 2:10 pm

D’oh! It’s Rosie Boycott (founder of Spare Rib), not Gloria Steinem, who wrote the objectionable Daily Mail article. Sorry. Back to feminism school for me…