Too fat to work

// 9 June 2008

Fat is synonymous with lazy. While we all want to live in an egalitarian world where body shape, size and appearance does not matter, unfortunately if you’re considered nothing more than a pie-face who’s been beaten by the ugly stick then life will be harder. It’s not fair and it’s not right, but people are unfortunately discriminated against on the basis of their looks, especially their weight. This is nothing new, but I think when it impinges on a woman’s ability to fulfil her professional potential then it is worth discussion. You can toil away in the office for 24-hours drinking nothing but water and motivated by determination and ambition, but when that promotion comes up don’t be surprised when it goes to the size-8 beauty sat on the desk beside you. Of course, it’s not her fault, but that of employers, who more often than not devalue a woman’s talents and ability owing to the fact she doesn’t look they way a successful women is allegedly supposed to look (perhaps some interviewers don’t realise that those carefully-coiffured, emaculate looking women sporting the latest in office-fashion in glossy magazines are not actually ladies working in the city, but fashion models. Duh!).

A fat woman can be talented, diligent and conscientious. A thin woman can be talented, diligent and conscientious. And those women occupying an anatomical position somewhere between the two can be talented, diligent and conscientious. So what’s the problem? Why is a fat woman unemployable, a pretty woman an airhead? Why is a woman’s size and appearance always seen as directly proportional to her potential?

This is something I’ve been thinking about for a while. For those of you familiar with some of my writing you’ll know I’m open about the fact I’m considerably more than a little slip of a girl. I am overweight, and so I feel qualified to write about the discrimination us fatties are subjected to from personal experience. For over a year I have been almost certain that the reason why I struggle to get employment has been largely owing to my weight. I’ve dismissed these concerns, certain I was being paranoid and worried I was excusing my own inadequacies by concentrating on the one factor that would probably distinguish me from the vast majority of fellow candidates: my appearance. But, I have found my spate of fruitless face-to-face interviews hard to explain. I’ve sailed through phone interviews, spoken with enthusiastic employers who very much look forward to meeting me, my CV is always commended and I have a wealth of qualifications and writing experience spanning many years, yet when I roll into that interview room, bouncing with confidence, something changes. On occasion I’ve seen the faces of unsuspecting interviewers visibly drop as they see me, as if they can’t reconcile in their small minds how my professional credentials – testament to hard-work and commitment – are completely contradicted by the way that I look. Still I’ve smiled, tried my best, expressed gratitude when I’ve been thanked for my attendance just a short time after I have sat down, and returned home to have the “unfortunately, we had a lot of excellent candidates and your application has been unsuccessful…” e-mail waiting for me in my inbox. I have persevered, unable to dismiss my suspicion that my weight is preventing me from climbing a career ladder, while at the same time not wanting to admit to myself that something so superficial can be totally negating everything I have always worked for. Could my body really be working against me so destructively?

An article published today confirmed my fears: that, yes, if you are fat you are prevented from achieving professional success. It’s not enough that you have to suffer insensitive taunts from those who consider you transgressive; that every-day the media subjects you to unrealistic images of the female form in order to foster a sense of inadequacy, since you fail to adhere to the rules of self-perfection. Now you are also denied a job. You’re not supposed to wear bikinis. You’re not supposed to show your bingo wings, or muffin-tops, or draw attention to your collection of chins. You’re not supposed to have health-care (it’s your own fault you’re fat, fat-head!), and forget having children. What sort of sprog, forced to slush around in a gut filled with fat and gristle for nine-months, are you going to squeeze out anyway? So, all things considered my love, why would you even think you should have a job, anyway? Sorry, get on your bike (literally)! Is it wrong that this attitude makes me absolutely furious? The report cites the results of a number of research projects, demonstrating the extent to which overweight women in particular are an anathema in the work place:

The bulk of research has also shown that the bias tends to be felt most by overweight white women, who are battling both the glass ceiling and the stigma of being heavy. A 2004 study by Cornell University Associate Professor John Cawley found that when the average white woman puts on an additional 64 pounds, her wages drop 9%. (Some studies have shown that overweight white women are evaluated more harshly than overweight African American women and that African Americans tend to be more accepting of large body types, according to Roehling.)…In 2004, Charles Baum, of Middle Tennessee State University, also reported in the journal Health Economics that obesity could lower a woman’s annual earnings by as much as 6.2% and a man’s by as much as 2.3%.

While being over-weight is, in our image-conscious society, unacceptable, why is it that an overweight woman is considered significantly more disgusting than an overweight man? Does this emanate from the stereotypical assumption that a woman is preoccupied with the superficial, and as such is more aware of the fact she is physically repulsive than a rotund man, who, working on this principle, apparently has no eyes to view his portly paunch in the mirror? Fatness is less forgiving in women because we are supposed to be more sensitive to expectations about how we should behave and how we should look, and if we’re not pretty tiny things then the general consensus seems to be that we should rightly expect criticism. If it wasn’t enough that, as women, we are still subject to the basest sort of discrimination in the workplace owing to our sex, not only are we told now that we can’t do the job because we have tits, but that if we want to have the chance of being told that we can’t do the job we have to look a specific, perfect way.

I’ve spent a lot of time in London. I’ve been in bars populated by fat, male city types dressed in all their high-flying finery while downing a glass of red or white between pints, and yet fat female city types are harder to come by. Why? Because if a woman is carrying a bit of excess weight then she’s not going to be given the job in the first place! How frustrating is it that regardless of what we do, there’s always some way to keep us down.

So how about everyone else? Have you found that your weight has had a detrimental affect on your career? Have you been the victim of unfair discrimination? Or do you think that these concerns are unfounded? It would be interesting to hear about your experiences.

Samara // Posted 9 June 2008 at 2:51 pm

Abby, I totally, totally agree and I think you are absolutely right to be angry about it. I just can’t comprehend the utter bloody stupidity of an employer who would reject a candidate on such grounds, especially not one as fabulous and talented as you.

Despite being slim myself I have DEFINITELY noticed this phenomenon, so no, it is absolutely NOT all in your mind and NOT just an excuse for personal inadequacies, so don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

Strangely enough, I spoke to a man a while back who told me that he had once employed an enormously overweight woman partly *because* of her size. He felt that for someone to be so confident, successful and well-qualified despite being an extemely fat woman and dealing with all the crap that comes with that displayed remarkable strength of character, and when it came down to making the difficult final decision on who would get the job, it was that that clinched it for her.

Lindsey // Posted 9 June 2008 at 2:52 pm

Aware of this discrimination I did plan to go to the gym for 6 months before finishing uni in anticipation of entering a corporate type workplace, but first I was too poor then I got a part-time summer job that took up most of my spare time. I was only a size 14.

Sarah // Posted 9 June 2008 at 3:07 pm

I’m not what most people would consider fat, but I start to doubt that myself since starting a job in investment banking. I’m pretty much the heaviest woman I see at work – thin-ness seems to be almost compulsory. You only see the ‘normal’ range of weights (representative of the population in general) if you include the catering and cleaning staff, the admin and finance professionals are almost exclusively thin. It does make me feel self-conscious about my weight, though outside of work I feel and look perfectly normal.

You’re right that there are plenty of overweight men around, so the same standard doesn’t seem to apply to them.

Sarah // Posted 9 June 2008 at 4:30 pm

Oh, and I notice how the links at the end of that article are all to weight-loss diet and ‘fitness’ site, and not to say, information about workplace discrimination and employment tribunals!

Anne Onne // Posted 9 June 2008 at 6:28 pm

Exactly. This is precisely why it’s not really about fitness or the idea that someone who is fat can’t keep up or do the job, since plenty of men are given the job when women of the same size aren’t. It really is not our imagination, nor are overweight women less capable of overweight men, or a bigger image issue. Weight should not be a factor in deciding who gets the job, but undoubtedly it still is.

Soirore // Posted 9 June 2008 at 7:29 pm

My chum and I were discussing this exact issue the other day. We had both felt a pressure to get thinner in order to look more professional. I have not personally failed a job interview due to my fatness but then I don’t work in the corporate world.

There is definitely an issue here though. When it comes to recruitment for graduate jobs for example, all the posters have slim, energetic looking, young people on them. It is also the other associations of these images that get to me. That you’ll conform, be one of us, you must love your job, blah blah. It’s a lot of pressure so I would totally understand if someone felt that they didn’t fit the image and went for a different career. Is this what I did subconciously?

However, what about the women on The Apprentice? There have always been successful contestants who aren’t slim. I never thought I’d be holding that programme up for a positive example but there you go. Anyway, I would be really interested to see if there is anyone researching this in the UK as the msn article was about the very particular culture of the American workplace. This is a nation who, after all, can refuse to employ you if you are a mother. Discrimination is basically permitted over there.

Abby, I would be interested to hear what kind of feedback the prejudiced employers gave on your interviews. It would help us all in perhaps pre-empting their criticisms and assumptions if we suspect an interview panel are likely to be judgemental. I would also be interested in anyone else’s ideas on how to combat this issue. It’s difficult when people can deny it exists.

Actually I just remembered a story from a few years ago. A woman was given money in addition to her JSA to go to Weight Watchers as she was having trouble getting a job despite wanting to and having good experience. I don’t agree that this was the best approach perhaps but I was shocked when I discussed this with my then colleagues. One said that he resented his tax money being given to a lazy person who could just lose weight herself if she really wanted to. I basically said that it was the body fascism of people like him that had made it necessary but he just didn’t get it. It would have been better if the money had been spent on a discrimination awareness seminar for employers though.

Jen // Posted 9 June 2008 at 7:46 pm

I was always aware of the fact that women with bodies that the patriarchy hates faced even more difficulties than me. Now, I feel horrible for assuming that my mother’s job-hopping and lack of opportunities was due to something she did wrong, instead of the misogynist perceptions of her bosses and a slow economy.

I absolutely notice that when I go out with my mother that I receive far better treatment by wait staff and store clerks. I thought it was due to my younger age, but now I seriously doubt that that was the only factor, considering how my mother could pass for my older sister.

I am horrified that someone so dear to me has to face such blatant discrimination every day of her life. Imagine how the companies we see declaring bankruptcy left and right could have been successful if they had not ignored the contributions of larger employees.

Good post. I’m extremely saddened that the world necessitates such posts, however. What I wouldn’t give to see the disgusting Beauty Ideal wiped off the planet.

Kate // Posted 11 June 2008 at 5:13 am

Great article and unfortunately, this is a phenomenon all-too-common in the U.S. as well. Though we have the highest rates of obesity in the world, go into any top New York law firm and most everyone will be skinny. It really bothers me that not only do women have to face social pressure to be thin, but they also have to balance any/all of the following: racism, misogyny, a reduced wage rate (currently women in the U.S. make about 75 cents for every dollar a man makes), lack of mentors in their field, reduced access to valuable on-the-job training that might help them to advance to a higher position, all the while maintaining time for friends, family, and themselves. The whole American/Western European obsession with thinness is such a waste of energy – energy that women could be putting to use writing books, creating works of art, managing their own companies, teaching, or spending more time on their mental/spiritual health. I think the reason people believe the whole “beauty myth” (as Naomi Wolf so aptly put it) is because one’s physical appearance is seen as an intrinsic part of one’s self-worth. Clearly, employers see it as such, although I see no connection between body weight and capability. On a side note, does anyone know if this problem is concentrated in urban areas or would you say it is more of a cultural epidemic? Because I remember visiting London for the first time last year and being amazed at how fit and beautiful everyone was. Also, hardly any overweight people. Then again, I’m from the suburbs, so who knows if it was a city thing…..on the other hand, perhaps the higher-paying jobs are in the cities, and overweight people are being passed over for these jobs.

Rosa // Posted 11 June 2008 at 2:50 pm

This is a bit beside the point, but as a slim person myself I get really fed up with stupid comments and questions from bigger sized people who frequently say things like ‘are you anorexic?’ and ‘why don’t you let yourself go?’ implying that there’s something mentally and physically wrong with me. And if I don’t want a cream cake or sweets or whatever, of course I’m repressively denying myself, rather than just not having a sweet tooth!

Discrimination isn’t all one-sided.

Abby O'Reilly // Posted 11 June 2008 at 7:01 pm

Hi Rosa, thank you for your message, and I think you do raise a good point that very very thin women can also be subject to discrimination and insensitive comments. While I’m sorry you’ve had to suffer this, I don’t think (and not to diminish your experiences) that, in general, the interpretation, perception and treatment of thin people is in any way comparable to that of fat people. As a fat woman who has always been surrounded by groups of very thin friends, they have never (to my knowledge, and would actually say if it happened owing to the fact it would be so unusual) had derogatory marks directed at them owing to their weight. None of my friends, for example, whereas a lot of fat women will be reluctant to eat in public places, worried about what other people think about them, and having that “really? do you think you should?” look directed at them by randoms who do not know them, just because they are fat and are therefore transgressive. I do wonder how often does this happen to you? I know you said you get fed up of stupid comments from bigger, but how big are these bigger people? Do you think that your employment prospects have been in any way influenced by this attitude these bigger people have had towards you? While I appreciate that this is not pleasant, and certainly not fair to you, I do not believe that this is in any way as damaging as the stereotypical assumptions that still stalk us chubbies like a black spectre.

Anna // Posted 11 June 2008 at 7:08 pm

Aye, being incredibly skinny myself you receive a lot of crap for it – but I can’t imagine what it’s like if you’re deemed overweight in the eyes of the masses.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t..

Caitlin // Posted 12 June 2008 at 9:10 am

Penelope Trunk on the US-based Brazen Careerist blog ( writes a lot about how physical appearance affects your chances in the workplace. What you might find valuable is the wealth of research studies she links to that prove this is true, particularly for women. (What you might find less valuable is that she concludes that people should recognise the reality and set about improving their physical appearance, through weight loss, teeth whitening etc). The blog is fascinating and infuriating in equal measure but it’s well written and I find enough interesting posts to keep me going back.

Also, this month Elle magazine has a memoir from someone who was experiencing unexplained weight loss. She was 22 at the time and the doctor assumed she was anorexic, brushed aside her repeated pleas, and patronisingly old her to eat hamburgers and ice cream milkshakes. Her friends and colleagues would ask her ‘are you okay? are you eating enough?’ in one breath and ‘how did you lose all the weight?’ in the next breath. She started getting a lot more attention from men (her conclusion is that they might say like curves and a bit of meat but a scary number do actually go for the skeletal look). A year later she was finally diagnosed with a parasite, picked up on a trip abroad. Her friends and colleagues then said ‘oh, a parasite, how terrible… where can I get one?’. So clearly, this stuff is pretty deeply engrained.

liz // Posted 12 June 2008 at 3:11 pm

weight is somewhere that both class and race intersect quite visibly with gender, as working class women/women of colour are often the ones who are bigger ( I feel rather large at uni, but slender when I am in my more working class hometown – I am a size 14/16)

Discrimination against being large is thus tied in to race, class and gender based prejudice I reckon

Sarah // Posted 12 June 2008 at 3:57 pm

Very interesting article and thank you for prompting vague memories at the back of my mind, forward into realisation.

I haven’t had any overt problems with employment selection in the UK, though I consider myself to be slightly overweight 14/16 size.

I was however a TEFL teacher in Greece. Obviously, you’re going out there as a stranger and I remember so distinctly meeting my boss for the first time. I was driven into the school carpark in a taxi, where she first caught a glimpse of my (handsome :p ) face. She looked excited and happy to see me arrive. Then when I stepped out of the taxi she couldn’t disguise her dissapointment as my chunky white British calves reflected the sunlight into her makeup-caked face. She looked me up and down and I felt as if our relationship would be doomed. Horrible moment if it were to happen in the UK – Terrible moment to happen in a strange country by myself. Anyway, when I got to the school I found that all the teachers, like my boss, were impossibly polished, fashionable, incredibly thin, and for the most part, doe eyed beauties who looked me up and down a few times EVERY DAY. Though i’m actually a healthy size with an hourglass figure- I was made to feel morbidly obese.

I feel that no pretense was made in Greece, about the requirements of women regarding beauty. If you were a certain age then fine you could be overweight and bearded but girls to middle aged women were definately more polished than their UK counterparts (i’m generalising of course – having stayed in only one city)

I felt pretty uncomfortable most days – especially whilst walking through the streets. The men would openly stare at my chest or arse and would sometimes back up their cars to get a better look. A greek friend told me that they have a practice of “epsomnia” (no idea how to spell it, sorry) which roughly translates as “shopping” – this is the practice where on evening strolls along the waterfront, or in pubs, clubs etc. people openly stare and comment on each others clothes, bodies, faces – general appearences

I’m waffling horribly.

I’m annoyed and wanted to highlight an experience from a different country.

First post. long time lurker. x

Rosa // Posted 12 June 2008 at 4:19 pm

Abby, yes, I completely agree with you that people deemed overweight by society have a lot more crap to put up with and suffer far more psychological damage than negative comments I’ve had as a result of being slim. Of course they do. And no, as far as I’m aware it has never damaged my employment prospects. Also, you’re right, I have never felt worried about or too embarrassed to eat in public places. (I remember not too long ago reading an outrageous story about some chef serving a woman on a ferry fewer chips than he’d given her husband, because he said she was too fat! I can only imagine the humiliation she must have felt). I just wanted to make the point that sometimes it’s the other way round.

I don’t know really how much bigger those ‘bigger’ people are – size 18/20 and up?! I didn’t want to use the word ‘fat’ because it sounded nasty.

best wishes.

Jane Purcell // Posted 12 June 2008 at 6:12 pm

Great article, Abby. I do agree with your point about fat, florid city boys getting promoted, while women are often denied professional success. I do, however feel that much of the real poison directed at women is by other women; namely the Fleet Street Harpies. Remember Allison Pearson’s wholly nasty comments about Princess Beatrice? She seems to have morphed into the late Lynda Lee Potter, who was also obsessed with women’s weight. You can’t open a women’s mag without reading about ‘Colleen’s FAT CRISIS’ or ‘Cheryl’s SKINNY CRISIS’. Most celeb mags are bought and read by women and are stuffed with articles on weight. And look at the recent rubbish directed at Fern Britton. It’s not just men who contribute to our poisonous culture of women’s bodies being viewed as public property.

I also think that how you view other women says a lot about how you feel about your own body. LL Potter always said that she had to work really hard to keep her weight down, which may explain why she was so vicious about larger women who she saw as being ‘indulgent’. While women who are truly comfortable with their size, have no need to sneer and belittle other women for theirs.

Abby O'Reilly // Posted 12 June 2008 at 6:32 pm

Hiya Samara, thanks for your comments, and confidence in my ability, much appreciatedxx I have two interviews next Monday, so it’ll be interesting to see how they unfold. Especially as for the one job I’m being interviewed by two women and for the other by a man. I do wonder to what extent that could make a difference. I’ll let you know how it goes x

Abby O'Reilly // Posted 12 June 2008 at 7:39 pm

Hello Jane, and thank you for your comment. I agree with you entirely that very often it is other women who can be the most critical of a woman’s weight. Recently I volunteered abroad working at an orang utan rehabilitation centre, something I had wanted to do for years. In all honesty I was reluctant to go because I knew that I would stand out from the other volunteers because of my weight. Well, I didn’t know for certain, but I was pretty sure that would be the case, and it turned out I was right. I had reasoned that the people who wanted to do the project would not be the type of people who would be preoccupied with appearance. And, for the most part, I was right. I met some absolutely lovely people, people it was a pleasure to work with and who I will hopefully be friends with forever. But, my weight did prove an issue a few times. When I arrived, for example, the twelve of us along with the projecct coordinator and two of his assistants were briefed on the project, which involved the allocation of t-shirts (our distinct uniform for the two months). Everyone was given theirs in it’s plastic packaging, and I sat waiting for mine. When I was given two t-shirts, infront of everyone else I was told I would have to try one on to see if it would fit me. So, not wanting to cause a fuss, and trying not to think about it too much so as not to make myself upset, I just did it. I was then told to turn around so that the project manager could see if it fitted me. I’m 24-years-old, so this was a bit humiliating. It did fit, and it was comfortable for me to wear. Not the baggiest piece of clothing in the world, but not a sausage skin either. However, the verdict was, no, didn’t fit. I was then passed two plain t-shirts (both a different colour green than everyone else’s and missing the information that indicated I was a volunteer) and told that a phone call had already been made to the centre about me. What exactly about me warranted the need for this call? I just tolerated it,not saying anything as I felt I should not draw more attention to myself. The decision had quite clearly been made before I tried on the t-shirt, so why I had to I do not know. I was in a different country surrounded by strangers, and in all honesty this physical difference made me feel quite vulnerable, something I didn’t want to show. I’m a size 18, and while I am not so big that I require sticks to walk around, I am only 5’2″ and so I am considerably heavier than I should be (I actually lost a few stone when I was away, too). I did wear the original t-shirts in the end, as I didn’t see why I had to be marked out as different than anybody else for no reason. While the project manager was generally a very nice person, it was almost like I was some sort of public property, expected to be open to criticism because I am fat.

Perhaps however more upsetting at the time was the way one of the other volunteers spoke about me. She was a slim woman, very confident about the way she looked, but confident to the detriment of others. When in her company she did nothing but speak about other people, comment spitefully on their appearance, so I shouldn’t have been surprised when I heard what she had been saying about me. I was told by a number of people the comments she had made, which were not only offensive but actually quite vile. It reached the point where I hated being in the same room as her as I knew that as soon as I left she would be talking about me. It made me feel uncomfortable, I wanted to hide away but I’m hardly someone who can blend into the background easily owing to my size. I didn’t sit at the table and eat where she was eating if I could help it, and if I happened to be there I’d finish up pretty quickly and leave. Apparently she also referred to me behind my back as fattie. Which is funny to a certain extent as it’s so childish, but in another respect begs the question why? I had done nothng at all to her, and to my face she spoke nicely enough. I generally get on well with people, and so she was no different, but the thing is her criticism of me was based on nothing but the way I look. Then, the last night we were there, I overheard her talking about me (as well as a few other girls) outside. She was calling me fat and ugly (strange how ugly, like lazy, seems always to be linked with fat) and I was embarassed, not only on my own behalf but for the other girls she made derogatory comments about on the basis of their appearance. But, I was the only one to have a number of so-called observations made about, owing to my weight. Everything was brought back to me being fat. So, although I am not confrontational in real-life, I opened the doors and said that we could hear her and why was she making those comments. She didn’t have an answer, she just used a string of profanity and shouted. I did neither. I didn’t even raise my voice or argue. In all honesty, the only reason I even addresed the issue was because I was so curious why someone could direct so much vitriol against me on the basis of my appearance. I didn’t get an answer. But, I think now I know why. I got on well with all the other volunteers, who did not discriminate me on the basis of my weight. She didn’t, even though she was very slim, very blonde, and obviously, as far as she see, the stereotypical perfect, beautiful woman. It was almost like she wanted me to be subject to some form of social exclusion because I am not thin or beautiful, and as such should be punished for it. This didn’t ruin my time away, it was a very small part of something that was undoubtedly the best experience of my life, but it did make me realise the extent to which some people, in whatever circumstances, will cast judgement on you because of your weight. The fact she was 27-years-old just confirmed to me the fact that discrimination on the basis of your weight is not something you escape when you leave your fat child years behind. Sorry for the babbling, but I’m sure other overweight women have been placed in similar, and probably considerably worse, situations.

Aimee // Posted 12 June 2008 at 9:15 pm

Abby, that’s a really horrible story; not, of course because of any lacking in your narrative prowess, but because you had to encounter such a callous woman. I find that many so called ‘attractive women’, are so insecure in their priviledge that they feel the need to establish it further by belittling other women. And they certainly don’t like it when you make it clear that you don’t consider their perceived beauty to be any kind of a priviledge. It’s like, they want you to cloy at them and tell them how much YOU want to be like THEM, or else you are the subject of derision.

(sorry, I know that’s not very feminist…)

Sarah // Posted 13 June 2008 at 9:30 am

Abby, I would guess that the woman in question was not quite so confident about her own appearance as you thought – not that this is any excuse at all for the way she treated you.

Jane Purcell // Posted 13 June 2008 at 9:57 am

God Abby, that’s horrible, and you’re not babbling. I agree with Aimee. What an empty, insecure, nasty, spiteful bitch. God help her daughter if she ever has one.

Rosa // Posted 13 June 2008 at 10:43 am

Abby, I agree with Sarah and Aimee. If that horrible woman can only make herself feel good by slagging off you and other people, she’s the one with the problem. You can lose weight, but she can never lose her horrible personality. Ultimately she’s her own worst enemy.

You must be a really strong person to go through what you went through – the t-shirt incident alone would have had me running out in tears and heading for the nearest airport! You were there as a volunteer, f.f.s! how dare they treat you like that!

Last but not least, I wish you all the best with your interview.

Soirore // Posted 13 June 2008 at 12:44 pm

I really feel for you Abby. I agree with Rosa; I’d have given up at the T-shirt incident.

Just to mention that if being overweight or underweight is a result of a disorder like anorexia or compulsive eating disorder you may be covered by the Disability Discrimination Act. Obviously this is a difficult route to go down, and difficult to prove, but this is the only protection legally at the moment that may be relevant.

Kuja // Posted 13 June 2008 at 2:59 pm

I am short and slim. I just have a small frame really. I eat a fair amount of junk food and knowing that I eat a lot and am thin, I drew the conclusion that some people eat less and are not, so I don’t look at someone and try to guess what their diet is. But it’s true that in my workplace, people are judged on their figures. I don’t like being treated as a self-obsessed bitch for being thin and I don’t ever confuse someone who is overweight with someone who is lazy.

There are other women here who are about the same weight as me, but two of them have already had breast implants and are recommending them to the rest, who complain about their lack of curves. It seems like a ‘grass is always greener on the other side’ kind of thing!