// 14 August 2008

Regular commenter Redheadinred sent in this link about the “myths and history of red hair“:

Throughout history there have been many strange beliefs and ideas about red hair. In ancient Egypt red haired animals and people were associated with the god Set. The Egyptians also had many red haired pharaohs. However the Egyptians also regarded the colour red as unlucky and according to Claudie de Lys many red haired maidens were burnt to death to wipe out the tint. There are also stories of the Egyptians burying redheads alive! The ancient Greeks also had myths about red hair, including the belief that redheads would turn into vampires following their death. Unflatteringly the Greek philosopher Aristotle described redheads as being emotionally un-housebroken. Another mention of red hair came from the famed historian Herodotus who described a red haired and blue/grey eyed tribe in his histories called the Budini.

The Romans also had something to say about redheads. The writer Tacitus mentioned the ‘red hair and large limbs’ of the ancient British tribes and the historian Dio Cassius described British warrior-queen Boudicca, as being ‘tall and terrifying in appearance’ and as having a ‘great mass of red hair.’ Incidentally the ancient Romans also paid a premium for red haired slaves.

Yeah, so there’s some baggage. I think there’s probably some interesting things to be said about how gendered attitudes are about red hair, too – particularly the way that red hair in men is ridiculed, but in women is usually sexualised. Even the evolutionary biologists have had a go at this one, and you know that so often spells trouble.

Funnily enough, I was actually considering a post about this already – in particular the combination of red hair and freckles. I went to see Wall-E a few weeks ago, and caught the trailer for Le Renard et l’Enfant (the fox and the child), which is a documentary-style film about a young red-haired, freckled girl and her adventures with a fox.

The trailer hit a nerve for me. When I was a kid, I don’t remember very many (positive) images of girls (or women, for that matter) with freckles and red hair, which, in contribution with some vicious bullying, contributed to some image issues for me at a young age. Oh, sure, there was Annie, and, at a stretch, Anne of Green Gables. But, come on. Researching this post, I realised I also apparently imagined George from the Famous Five into having red hair! Sweep ahead a few years, to when I was in my early teens, and I suppose you could point to Ginger Spice.

And a look at some of the images on this site of red-heads in art shows that when red hair has been celebrated in women, it’s usually in combination with completely white skin – i.e. no freckles. And, frankly, I have plenty of freckles and hair that can only really be classed as red-ish.

When I googled “freckles” I started to get really annoyed – OK, there are lots of “ohh, they’re so cute!” pages, but way more like this website, apparently run by someone with an actual medical background about “How can freckles be treated?”, recommending treatments ranging from bleach to freezing them off. Any doctors reading this? Freckles are not a skin disease, thanks. Getting rid of them does not “improve” the appearance of skin. They are not a “skin discolouration“.

Sabre // Posted 14 August 2008 at 12:06 pm

Ridiculous! I love freckles! In fact when I was little I used to wish I had some and would sit out in the sun. It worries me that anybody recommends things such as bleaching creams (that old fave), chemical peels and cryosurgery.

As for ginger, when I came to this country I was really surprised at how ginger-haired kids were treated. I remmeber asking someone (an adult) why they looked down on ginger people, and they were stumped, finally coming out with ‘I guess it’s because ginger people just tended to be ugly too’. What stupidity! I’ve never been able to understand this silly prejudice, especially when so many of the Royal family had/have ginger hair, as well as people in all those old paintings.

Oh and Pippi Longstocking is a good kids role model too, ginger and freckled and with a lovely character.

Kath // Posted 14 August 2008 at 12:11 pm

“Even the evolutionary biologists have had a go at this one, and you know that so often spells trouble.” What? Less of the science-bashing please. The linked article was about red hair and colour recognition in non-human primates and made no reference to sex-preferences in humans.

I was teased as a child for having red hair but as an adult it’s only ever brought me compliments. I love it and I love my freckles too!

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 August 2008 at 12:36 pm

Kath – it might be more the reporting than the actual research, but there’s nothing in the story that says it’s about non-human primates. Actually, humans are the first primates mentioned in the first line!

“Primatologists know humans, apes and monkeys can see red..”

Sarah // Posted 14 August 2008 at 1:01 pm

Possibly you meant ‘evolutionary psychologists’ who often don’t have a scientific background, and have been known to come up with some rather flaky pseudo-scientific hypotheses to justify gender roles and the like.

Evolutionary biology, on the other hand, is a valid and interesting scientific discipline and doesn’t usually ‘spell trouble’ – unless you happen to be a fundamentalist Christian or similar.

Gweem // Posted 14 August 2008 at 1:23 pm

One thing I heard about the evolutionary aspect of red hair, which I find more appealing, is that the gene for red hair also made the carrier more able to create vitamin D from sunlight. There is also a higher concentration of red-haired individuals in the northern hemisphere, where the days can be shorter, darker and we receive less bright sunlight all year around than our southern counterparts. So next time someone makes fun of your lovely hair, just remember that you’re genetically one step ahead of the game there.

Kimberley // Posted 14 August 2008 at 1:36 pm

I still don’t get the swipe at evolutionary biologists though.

As a kid, I never understood why female characters would go round trying to remove their freckles with lemon juice and the like. I have less freckles than I used to and I kinda miss ’em, but that’s English summers for you. Though living here is better for my pale skin than being in NZ. :-)

Btw, like Sabre, I was surprised at how people with red hair are treated in this country. I thought with Ireland and Scotland so nearby, redheads would pass unnoticed.

Redheadinred // Posted 14 August 2008 at 1:54 pm

Wow, it’s funny to have my comment kinda turned into a post. Thanks for that, it’s quite flattering. ;)

It’s weird, but when I posted that link, I wasn’t even thinking of it in a feminist context, but you’re right Jess, it is usually gendered. They seem to have been worried that females with red hair was a sign of ‘bad women’ or ‘witches’ – which of course meant independent or temperamental women. Then there’s the myth about it being a sign of menstural intercourse, which they must’ve thought was a disgusting, dirty thing to do.

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 August 2008 at 2:22 pm

@Gweem… I think it’s probably better not to get into conversations about specific hair colours being genetically superior!!! Kind of dangerous territory. And anyway, frankly any benefit from extra vitamin D is more than offset by the extra danger of skin cancer!!

Kath // Posted 14 August 2008 at 2:38 pm

Jess, yes I think the reporting is to blame. I was more concerned with your dissing of evolutionary biology in general. The narrower field of evolutionary psychology has had a bad press amongst feminists and others. Again, mainly because of the misrepresentation of actual research and unrealistic extrapolations of what it can tell us about human behaviour. However I dread to think what the alternative to evolutionary biology would be. Intelligent design biology?

Anyway, didn’t mean to come over too critical. Liked the rest of the post.

Flo // Posted 14 August 2008 at 3:44 pm

I’ve been dying my hair red since I was 20 (about 7 years ago now), and I’m always surprised how people react:

Random person: “So what’s your natural colour?”

Me: “Light blonde”

Random (now rude and annoying) person: “Really?! Why do you dye it?”

Apparently to some people it is unbelieveable that someone (no, make that some woman) with naturally blonde hair would choose not to be blonde, let alone to be a redhead (or pinkhead in my case, once the dye has faded). Whilst my main reason for dying it red is just that I love the colour and the way it looks on me, I’ve also found people patronise me less and I get less unwanted attention from random guys in the street or pubs.

ConservaTorygirl // Posted 14 August 2008 at 3:45 pm

I can’t believe you forgot the terrific role model of Bianca Jackson!!!! And Sonya!

Throughout my childhood I longed for red hair, real carroty orange.

My little cousin had red hair but now she bleaches it to an extremely boring mousey blonde-ish brown.

These days my hair is pink.

Alice // Posted 14 August 2008 at 4:30 pm

I’m a big reader of the F word, and approximately your age since you mentionned Ginger Spice. You could also add Dana Scully from the X-files, who was a redhead AND a very smart female character.

Like you I had some image problems when I was younger because red people (and red hair) were always considered ugly, as if they looked all the same because of their hair. In school, children would tell me my hair looked like shit… literally.

But when I grew older, I noticed a change and the comments (sometimes shouted from strangers in the street) were/are more sexualised. The redheads are supposed to have a specific sexual behaviour or smell (it reminds me of some racist theories and prejudices, but of course nothing compared to what people with a skin other than white meet on a regular basis).

Another type of comment : the redheads are generally ugly but there are exceptions, and when you’re considered like one, people don’t mind telling you that. (Oh, what a compliment!).

My brother doesn’t get those kind of comments. He’s bullied too, surely because, like i’ve read just before, red boys are seen as weak and ugly.

It’s obvious to me that no matter the color of the hair or the skin, the women will always be more sexualised than the men with the same physical attributes. For example, the fantasies about the blondes. I’ve never heard anything about blond men.

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 August 2008 at 6:41 pm

@Kath – Yep, it’s not so much the evolutionary side, it’s the lack of thought or real vigour that goes into reporting on, and quite often it seems, coming up with the experiments themselves. Also see drawing wholly exaggerated conclusions from the data at hand, and seeking to explain everything through genetics. It’s not so much the science as the people, in my view. Perhaps it’s a symptom of the silo theory of education, whereby people don’t really get trained outside their specialism – i.e. biologists constructing experiments about gender without any real analysis, i.e. it makes no sense to set out to prove girls are programmed by genetics to like pink when you know that only a relatively few years ago (especially in evolutionary terms!) pink was associated with boys and blue with girls.

It all too often seems to be an exercise in setting out to prove socially-conservative ideas of gender as ‘right’, explainaing everything by some vague idea of what cave men and women, as though all the intervening cultural shifting about hadn’t happened!

Hazel // Posted 14 August 2008 at 6:54 pm

A positive role model for a redhead is Willow from Buffy.

Lauren O // Posted 14 August 2008 at 7:45 pm

I’m an American who recently spent a few months in England, and I was really confused about the whole “ginger” thing. I often hung out with a redheaded English friend of mine, and people would just yell the word “ginger” at her on the bus and on the street. Maybe it’s just because we have fewer redheads in America, but I had never encountered that attitude (or the word “ginger” in that context) before.

Rachel // Posted 14 August 2008 at 8:32 pm

“Greek philosopher Aristotle described redheads as being emotionally un-housebroken”

I’m a redhead by choice, and I find this description actually kind of flattering… at least coming from world-class misogynist and asshat Aristotle.

I like the person that having red hair has allowed me to become — louder, prouder, more demanding and independent. But that’s just me, I know people with red hair (by choice or nature) aren’t anymore subject to groupthink that people with ovaries.

Laurel Dearing // Posted 14 August 2008 at 10:10 pm

ive always found peoples’ obsessions with whether redheads have ginger pubes or not a bit disconcerting.

Mephit // Posted 15 August 2008 at 12:18 am

It is a very odd prejudice. Especially when I read somewhere that red hair dyes are the most popular, biggest sellers. Although I may be mistaken in that.

Lizzie // Posted 15 August 2008 at 10:08 am

I totally agree with Alice.

My hair is now dark coppery auburn but used to be more ginger when i was younger.

Naturally i got ‘GINGER!!’ yelled at me a lot but no serious bullying. interestingly, my friends with brighter ginger hair, especially guys got taunted and bullied more seriously.

I also noticed a change in reactions since my teens. It used only to be elderly people at bus stops who commented on the attractiveness on my hair but now it’s become highly sexualised.

Something that DEFINITELY hasn’t happened for male redheads i know.

The stereotype of the ‘fiery temper’ is also brought up more frequently.

I find this annoying and ridiculous but what really annoys me is the assumption my many (including some school teachers in my experience) that insulting people with ginger hair is ok, funny, and not really insulting because, you know, they’re ginger and shouldn’t take themselves so seriously.

I can’t understand why this attitude has stuck fast while others concerning sexuality and race are fading.

I would be most suprised if someone was teased in the classroom for the colour of their skin, and if a teacher then ignored their protests, for example.

This attitude seems to be almost completely confined to the UK.

Any ideas why anyone?

Laurel Dearing // Posted 15 August 2008 at 12:13 pm

i think in some ways its another aspect of being public property. somehow because most dont mind being bantered with amongst friends its ok to berate them for their natural features whoever they are and whatever they are doing. in that way its sort of like sexual harassment.

it seems that above a lot of positive references have been made. ill say most toons i grew up with had redheads “as told by ginger”, “pepper ann” and eliza from “the wild thornberries” “kim possible” and actually a lot of token women in male shows (especially the feisty fighting kind). there isnt so much representation for redhead boys though. i can only think of geek characters and badguys.

its odd that with this positive, if stereotypical, representation in the media theres such a fuss here. i mean i cant think of a LOT of mainstream media jabs at redheads. theres a lot of “comedians” that jump on it yeah, but kids get this opinion way before they would see that kind of show.

bzzzzgrrrl // Posted 15 August 2008 at 1:40 pm

I am an American, and I have also not seen the more blatant forms of this prejudice outside of the UK. There is a little bit of the oversexualizing of women redheads here, and of course that weird fascination with the pubic hair of redheads, as mentioned by others, but that’s about it.

But that may explain the popularity of red hair dye, if whoever’s reporting it sells dye outside the UK. Some women will be unaware of the prejudices, and some will be looking to enhance sex appeal.

I would bet there were many American Spice Girl fans who didn’t know that’s why Ginger Spice was called that.

Rose_hasty // Posted 15 August 2008 at 7:31 pm

My partner is ginger and we are expecting our first baby shortly. I have had constant comments ranging from ‘concern’ to ‘disgust’ at the thought my child may ‘come out ginger’. There’s something so confusing about this to me. Why would anyone who isn’t a deranged 14yr old boy hate people with ginger hair? Why would anyone think I was happy to share my life and body with my ginger partner but would reject my child if he had ginger hair?

I feel very strongly that this is one prejudice from which men suffer much more than women and which is not,as I had once thought, a bit of a crap joke. Over the years I have seen a huge amount of aggression, rejection, violence etc inflicted on girls, boys and men due to the colour of their hair. Worse still, nobody seems to take the subject seriously. Unlike racism or sexism I really believe these people are suffering without any real recognition of their situation.

Hannah // Posted 18 August 2008 at 12:30 am

Hm, so I’m not sure if this is a dangerously anthropological suggestion, but having read that this prejudice is largely confined to the UK, perhaps it has something to do with our history- IE tensions between the Celts and whoever was invading us at the time – red hair is definitely associated with where the Celts were pushed back to (Ireland/Scotland) and the bits that were left over could be argued to have fed into our inexplicable base-level racism against the Welsh too… Firery would work with the Celt ‘rebel’ mentality… and weak men would have been a useful stereotype to engineer.

just a thought!

I have naturally dirty-blonde hair, and dye my hair a lot- but genereally settle on differing shades of red, I like the warmth of red hair.

Plus- on the positive role-models: The Weasley Family in Harry Potter is definitely a promising one for younger kids – lots of variety!

Jess McCabe // Posted 18 August 2008 at 10:41 am

Hannah, I agree, I think that’s what it’s about. I think it would be wrong to ignore that there’s over a thousand years of history which could be influencing attitudes.

Anna // Posted 18 August 2008 at 10:52 am

I’m naturally a ginge and I used to get a lot of crap for it until I started dying my hair.. for some reason bright red shades don’t get grief, but more natural, copper tones will inevitably result in shouts of ‘ginger bitch’ ‘show us your pubes’

..thinking about it, what IS the obsession with the colour of my pubic hair?! it’s a bit disconcerting..

Flo // Posted 18 August 2008 at 11:12 am

Hannah – there’s probably something in that, and yes, it is kind of an anthropological argument (only minus the ethnography and agonising self-reflexivity), but why ‘dangerously’ so? Feminism and anthropology (at least of the modern social/cultural kind) always struck me as the very best of friends : )

Anna // Posted 19 August 2008 at 2:25 pm

On this subject – I’ve just received rather a nasty piece of hate mail in which reference to my ginger hair is made no less than seven times.. speculation on the colour of my pubic hair making up five of those references.

I sent one back saying I was slightly disconcerted at their fixation with the colour of my pubic hair and suggested therapy.. dear lord.

Hay // Posted 10 September 2008 at 8:21 am

Hi, well… i just had to comment!

First of all, i would just like to say right on to fellow gingers standing up for themselves and secondly, i’m happy i have stubbled accross this page and i’m able to have my say.

Yes i am ginger and yes it is real and yes i have ginger pubes! Frequently asked questions. Another annoyance of mine is, you’re really pretty for a ginger! F**k off! Is that supposed to make me find YOU attractive? Certainly not, in fact all i can see is an ugly personality!

For me, i class itas racism. After all it’s prejudism against certain coloured hair for christ sake. I just want to say to those haters, get over it! It’s 2008! I love my hair and my colouring. I have had it all – if you fake tan you would look good. No, if i fake tan i would attract d**ks like you… no thanks! I like having milky skin, i like having freckles! I find them to be like cat markings… defines who you are.

Years ago, i would never have felt like this as people wouldn’t allow it. The taunting go so bad when i was younger that i reversed it and helped it feed my strength!

Now, yes i agree. As a female redhead it has been sexualised! Extremely so, from comments like – i’ve never slept with a ginger, to – Is it true that gingers have teath ‘down there’!?! That’s one of my favourites by the way, you heard me right… teath down there! Where the hell did that one come from! My answer, yeas it’s true so you better back off before they attack!!

Can you imagine my horror when i came accross a facebook group called tax gingers. Supposidly meant in gest but what they are actually saying on there is cruel and like i say racist! I wrote to face book expressing my views but at the moment nothing has happend and it’s still up! Being the only ginger amongst my peers, can you imagine my horror when nearly all my friends AND family thought it to be highly amuzing to send this group to me? You heard me right there too, my family also! Since i’m the only one in my whole family, aunts, uncles, cousins included.. i have had to put up with it from them too!

Well, i think that’s enough of a rant. May i take this oppurtunity to thank the maker of this blog. It’s refreshing to have the chance to have your say!

mumtoagorgeousredhead // Posted 30 September 2008 at 7:32 pm

When I was pregnant 13 years ago with my first child, the other mums in my parentcraft group told me that it wouldn’t matter what was wrong with their child, even it it was disabled, as long as it wasn’t a redhead. I found it difficult once my son was born to tell them I had a redhead. At a coffee morning after all the babies were born, I was told that red hair was a sign of the devil and that redheads were culled in the middle ages. As a new mum I found their comments devastating. Now I am just angry at how unkind and hurtful people can be. I certainly wouldn’t let them get away with such comments now. My handsome & charming lad is now nearly 13. He is proud of his Scots heritage and has only been teased about his freckles, not his hair colour…..until today when he came home from school saying he was fed up of the ginger comments. We found this blog whilst searching for some positives to celebrate his gorgeous hair. Interestingly my daughter was a redhead until she was 6 months old and then turned blonde. We were rather disappointed.

I make a special effort to go over to mums of redheads and say something positive about their hair to counteract all the unpleasantness we have faced.

Joe // Posted 17 January 2009 at 8:05 pm

Good to hear some nice comments on here, I do think the women get it easier though, being a male ginger just seems to attact negative comments!

It still amazes me that so called adults find it appropriate or funny to make a negative comment about the colour of someones hair, I realy don’t see any difference between that and insulting the colour of someones skin, it is something we are born with and there is nothing wrong with it!

Nowadays if anyone makes a negative comment about my hair I make a point of making an insulting comment about part of their body, it seems to work too.

Del // Posted 22 June 2009 at 3:26 pm

The only thing I find funny is that people think girls who dye their hair have any idea how a real redhead feels when the insults fly, as they do, even if some tell you the hair is nice, you don’t want to be sexually harassed all the time, I am more than pubic hair, in my opinion. I am a person not a separate alien species of ‘ginger person’.

Sophia // Posted 8 July 2009 at 8:22 pm

As an adult, most of the attention I have got for being ‘ginger’ has been positive. I am often told how beautiful my hair colour is.

But yes, that is balanced out by the fact that strangers think it is ok to shout ‘ginger!’ at me as I walk past, and to ask what colour my pubes are. I feel…very visible and not always in a good way.

I think the only thing that has bothered has not been those kind of comments, but the almost-racist ones, i.e. the following:

1. I have been stopped in the street while in Mediterranean countries by several people, and told I was ‘too white’ and should either go to the beach or get a tan. The implication was that my skin colour was unacceptable. Strangely enough, I was with my friend, who is Asian, at the time of one of these comments and it was my skin colour that drew the remarks. When I mentioned this problem to a Spanish friend, they considerately told me that maybe I could get my skin darker if I took it slowly in the sun, or else I should look for a fake tan. Just why is being pale so unacceptable, especially to people of darker skin colour?

2. I’ve come across the ‘all redheads/gingers smell funny’ one a few times. Often stated by male friends/boyfriends as if it is the gospel truth that everyone knows, while to me it sounds like a form of racism – a nasty one. The most insulting one is of course ‘all gingers smell like piss’.

3. Along the same lines, Men always tell me that redheads ‘taste different’ sexually than other girls. Stronger. A couple of men have said they ‘find the taste of redheads offputting’ and apparently all gingers are the same and are equally offputting.

Teasing, shouting and comments about pubes I can take, but these three things I find on a whole other level…

stevie taylor // Posted 21 July 2009 at 2:34 pm

Summer is my favourite season as the freckles on my partner really come out and show up her natural beauty. I dont mind that she cant stay out in the sun too long. A decent stormproof umbrella shields us both at the cricket.

As far as the bullying is concerned, I have mates that say things like the “mutant chromosome” and “rusty roof…” blah blah blah.

I laugh it off but deep down it does hurt me. I just hope that my partner doesnt find out as she is bigger than me, and wouldnt stand for it!

– love the site, Stevie

Elmo // Posted 2 August 2009 at 1:34 am

oooh, i didnt notice this article before!

i am really really tired of my hair colour being pointed out all the time (it’s the most alarming shade of red) but the thing that hurts the most is when people say “its just a joke!”. EVERY person who has ever commented on my hair thinks that they are the first person to notice it. if they were, i would let their “joke” go. but it happens every single day of my life, and frankly, pointing out someones physical apperance is the lowest form of humour, and really, really unoriginal. only yesterday i was walking home past a river, where some people were swimming, and they just randomly started shouting “ginger!” at me. ooh, no ones ever said that before!!and i did feel intimidated, having total strangers yelling at me (and its not the first time) the only reason i didnt get any comments today was because i stayed. the worst thing thats ever happened is i had some stones chucked at me, but its the fact that my friends dont get how hurtful (and just plain tedious) it can get mentioning someone’s hair colour all the time. i despise the fact that people will always make fun of some one who is different. the peope who make fun of me do so because they know its illegal make fun of ethnic races,etc so they just pick on the next group of people who are in anyway different. comedians regularly make fun of redheads and never assume it will hurt their feelings -“its just a joke!” deep down, many “tolerent” people are just looking for the next group of unprotected people to make fun of. but, actually, its the compliments which can be the worst. about 90% of all compliments go “i dont usually like ginger hair, but i really like yours” as i should suddenly turn on all others with red hair and make fun of them too, now i have been accepted by “normal” people. how RUDE, its just plain RUDE to say you dont like the physical attribute of someone, and then patronise another-“i dont usually like black people’s skin, but yours is a really nice shade of chocolate brown.” the bottom line is dont make fun of the way people look. just dont. ever. and if you still think its “just a joke” then you have never expeirenced being in a minority which is constantly bullied-some people just dont get it. i have a blonde friend who argues that its the same for her and i should “lighten up”, but the truth is the only people who have ever teased her are a couple of friends (although thinking about it now i cant actually recall her ever being teased about it), never a stranger throwing things in the street.

anway, the feminist bit of the rant- yes, i have noticed loads of old biblical paintings depict the baddies-judas, mary magdelene, fallen eve and lilith-as redheads. but when redheaded women are not being perceived as evil, fallen whores, they are being asked questions such as “is it true that redheads are kinkier than other people? is it true youve got ginger pubes? is it true you’re all really aggressive in bed?” i can never really think of an answer to these questions, but in one way or another, almost all queries about redheads are about sex, good or bad, and especially for women. it seems to me we live in a society that hasnt learned to be more tolerent at all -“what? its illegal to make fun of asians and disabled people now? who can we make fun of and get away with it then? ah, yes, gingers, overweight people and that really short guy over there, that’ll do for starters. then i think i’ll have a go at some ironic rascism!”

er, soz for the rant, its the first time ive written down my opinions on the matter.