Royal Mail stamp issue to honour ‘Women of Distinction’
Lynne Miles // 15 October 2008
The Royal Mail have issued a special series of stamps to honour six women who “took on the establishment and won”. The stamps feature:
- Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, both the first female doctor and the first female mayor in England;
- Millicent Garrett Fawcett, President of the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies and campaigner for the female vote;
- Claudia Jones, campaigner for black rights and founder of the Notting Hill Carnival;
- Eleanor Rathbone, campaigner for Family Allowances;
- Marie Stopes, pioneer of birth control; and
- Barbara Castle, campaigner for the 1970 Equal Pay Act.
These women are all remarkable not only for their achievements, which were considerable, but for their contribution to bettering the lives of other women.
You can read more information about the stamp issue, and see the designs, here.
(Thanks to Romy for the tip off!)