Royal Mail stamp issue to honour ‘Women of Distinction’

// 15 October 2008

The Royal Mail have issued a special series of stamps to honour six women who “took on the establishment and won”. The stamps feature:

These women are all remarkable not only for their achievements, which were considerable, but for their contribution to bettering the lives of other women.

You can read more information about the stamp issue, and see the designs, here.

(Thanks to Romy for the tip off!)

Laura // Posted 16 October 2008 at 11:09 pm

There’s a wonderful story about Elizabeth and Millicent Garrett and a friend of theirs, whose name I’m afraid escapes me, sitting at the Garrett’s home planning how they would change the world. After some discussion, their friend turned to the sisters and said: “That’s decided then. I will work on opening the universities up to women, Elizabeth, you take on medicine. Millie, since you’re the youngest, you will have to take on the vote.”

No idea if there’s any truth in it – I very much doubt there is, it has the ring of being just one of those stories people tell, but I always liked it.

Lynne Miles // Posted 17 October 2008 at 1:08 am

I love that story!

Cara // Posted 17 October 2008 at 12:39 pm

I actually didn’t realise they were sisters…had heard of Elizabeth Garrett *Anderson*.

Yay stamps with women on them! No more generic women/ invisibility!

Laura // Posted 24 October 2008 at 6:37 pm

Come to think of it, it’s a shame the Fawcett Society is called the Fawcett Society rather than the Garrett Society… Henry Fawcett was great and an impeccable feminist, but it seems a shame that the society honours Millicent Garratt Fawcett’s married name rather than her original name.

Lara // Posted 28 October 2008 at 9:32 am

i’m so glad you blogged the stamps… I was very excited when I heard about them.

Lynne Miles // Posted 28 October 2008 at 5:28 pm

It’s almost enough to tempt one to philately ….

Dermot // Posted 20 October 2009 at 11:41 am

Why are we honouring Marie Stopes? She was a fan of Hitler, a racist, into eugenics, and promoting abortion. Now remind me, just why are we honouring this person with a stamp?