The homophobic rants of the LSE chaplin

// 6 October 2008

Rev Dr Peter Mullen, chaplain to the London Stock Exchange, posted vile homophobic rants and “satirical” poems on his blog, reports The Daily Telegraph.

One of Mullen’s posts stated that gay people should be tattooed, a comment which calls up images of the Holocaust to me.

The Telegraph says that the posts have been taken down, but includes lots of quotes, such as:

He recommended that homosexual practices be discouraged “after the style of warnings on cigarette packets”.

He wrote: “Let us make it obligatory for homosexuals to have their backsides tattooed with the slogan SODOMY CAN SERIOUSLY DAMAGE YOUR HEALTH and their chins with FELLATIO KILLS.”

And then:

Peter Tatchell of gay rights group OutRage! Demanded that the Rev Mullen resign.

He said: “As a chaplain, Rev Mullen ought to be a spiritual guide to all employees of the Stock Exchange.

“Given his quite outrageous homophobia, not only would lesbian and gay employees feel unable to approach him but even heterosexual staff would find what he said deeply offensive and off-putting.

Mullen is also quoted, with a laughable line about how this was “satire”. According to the Telegraph, he “was summoned for a meeting with church officials on Friday and told he could face disciplinary action”.

bzzzzgrrrl // Posted 6 October 2008 at 5:03 pm

The homophobic rants are horrifying, to be sure.

But am I the only one who’s surprised that the LSE has a chaplain at all?

Jess McCabe // Posted 6 October 2008 at 5:11 pm

@bzzzzgrrrl – I’m not, actually – it’s such an old institution, and old institutions are stuffed with chaplains in my (albiet limited) experience!

Saranga // Posted 6 October 2008 at 5:12 pm

I wonder if fellatio kills heterosexual women?

Louise Livesey // Posted 6 October 2008 at 8:33 pm

For anyone who wants to see the offensive post in it’s entirity it’s here preserved by the Google cache (because the homophobe has taken it down). Highlights include calling for Pride marches to be banned (he calls them excresences) because they are as dangerous as passive smoking and for compulsory screening of films of sodomy to children as part of sex ed containing the message that homosexuality is “filthy”.

Bee // Posted 7 October 2008 at 9:44 am

He says “We disapprove of homosexuality…. because it is a cause of fatal disease” and goes on to assert that the HIV/Aids pandemic was caused by promiscuous homosexual behaviour. I’m not even going to start on this, other than to observe that he seems to assume all gay people are men and to be unaware of the very existence of lesbianism. He also says promiscuity is evil because “its perpetrators merely use others indiscriminately for their own gratification” – yeah, because heterosexuals never do that, do they? Even if you accept his condemnation of promiscuity (which I don’t), it seems a bit unfair to move from that to a wholesale condemnation of homosexuality in general, but that’s what he does.

Blimey, I’m glad I’m not a gay stockbroker in need of spiritual guidance….

Rachel James-Bailey // Posted 7 October 2008 at 9:46 am

I would hope that the LSE don’t just brush this under the carpet, and reprimand him for his behaviour.

And hopefully they will also replace him in case any of their employees need to speak to someone who is non-judgmental.

Gah. This makes me so angry.

Saranga // Posted 7 October 2008 at 9:54 am

I wonder if he acknowledges lesbians or bisexuals at al? Or is just the evil male gays?

Harpymarx // Posted 7 October 2008 at 5:05 pm

Try this Rev. Bigot…

Homophobia can seriously damage your health..!!

BareNakedLady // Posted 8 October 2008 at 9:48 am

He *could* face disciplinary action?? As it’s, it’s only an option? FFS. I can’t believe that doesn’t merit an instant sacking in this day and age.

Alternatively maybe someone could give *him* a tattoo. I’m sure we could think of a few!!!