Ladyfest Manchester this weekend!

// 6 November 2008

Ladyfest Manchester kicks off tomorrow at the Zion Arts Centre in Manchester, and it all looks very exciting!

Ladyfest is a female-focused, not-for-profit arts and music festival where, for once, women take centre stage.

Events include cabaret, burlesque and bands such as Hotpants Romance and Das Wanderlust on Friday night, workshops on Bisexuality, Car Maintenance and Sexual Health for Teens on Saturday with more cabaret and bands in the evening, and Trans Narratives, Female Sexuality and IndieMedia workshops on Sunday with legendary (apparently, I’m woefully ignorant when it comes to riot grrl) band The Slits headlining the evening’s festivities. There will also be film showings and crafty loveliness throughout the weekend.

Oh yes, and it’s not in London! I’m going, Catherine’s going, are you?

You can pre-order tickets here and the full programme of events can be found here.

The Zion Centre is fully accessible, with lifts to every floor.

Jess // Posted 6 November 2008 at 6:28 pm

The Slits!!!!

Winter // Posted 6 November 2008 at 7:28 pm

Would love to come, but Leonard Cohen is coming to Cardiff this weekend, so we have to go and see him instead because it’s probably the last chance we’ll get!

Zenobia // Posted 6 November 2008 at 11:45 pm

The Slits!!

By the way, they’re old school London punk rather than riot grrrl. And, Ari Up is John Lydon’s stepdaughter or something. Either way, they’re pretty great.

Not going though, I’m utterly skint. And, being me, skeptical about Ladyfest, but hope you guys have fun, anyway.

Catherine Redfern // Posted 7 November 2008 at 10:35 am

Yay! I can’t wait. As Laura said I’ll be there on Saturday. I’ll be distributing questionnaires (I’ve been stapling them all today…). And I intend to come away laden with zines… oh yes.

Thanks to the organisers for another Ladyfest. Woot!

Catherine Redfern // Posted 7 November 2008 at 10:37 am

Oh and Winter – Leonard Cohen? Nice! :)

Jess // Posted 7 November 2008 at 1:17 pm

Leonard Cohen?! Excellent :-)

I would probably opt for Cohen over the slits too, although it’s a tough call.