Obaaaaaaaaaaama wins!

// 5 November 2008

Fantastic news, the first black family in the White House: if I was American right now I’d feel so proud! But even as a Brit I feel elated, I really hope he can bring the change he’s been promising, for the American people and for all those around the world affected by US policy.

Now I’ve seen history made, time to get some sleep…

lucy // Posted 5 November 2008 at 9:15 am

Although Obama’s win is surely a good thing for women the amendments that are looking to go through in South Dakota and Colarado to ban abortion are not :(

Amity // Posted 5 November 2008 at 9:28 am

I stayed up all night and am so glad I did. This is truly a historic time for the US and I am very proud to be an American citizen again. Simply amazing.

Ellie // Posted 5 November 2008 at 12:19 pm

abortion rights in the US secure for another 3 years or so. woot.

tom hulley // Posted 5 November 2008 at 2:09 pm

Well done, Obama.

His victory will make much more possible for many people, especially those who once did not even dare to dream.

But I am puzzled why his single, white mother has received no acknowledgement on this website.

Wonderful that her son made it but could any single mother aspire to the presidency? Still a long way to go?

Obama’s election is a victory for togetherness instead of segregation. Sometimes it is necessary to use separateness (identifying barriers to inclusion, getting mutual support) on the way to inclusion but surely the destiny is a world where women and men of whatever origin or preference get equal respect?

The Guardian celebrated a momentous week for black history this week, as it is, but I was disappointed how both Obama’s and Hamilton’s mums were sidelined. A momentous week for feminism and for integration too.

Shea // Posted 5 November 2008 at 5:07 pm

@ Tom Hulley — a very good point. Obama’s mother has been sidelined throughout this, but surely she deserves some credit for raising her son to be president. I’m so glad Obama got in, I’m almost delirious, so long W and good riddance!

Redheadinred // Posted 6 November 2008 at 4:22 am

I’m very happy about this, especially since the First Lady is such a kick-ass woman, too! Did you hear what she said on a chat show she went on?

Michelle: When he was elected I said to my oldest daughter ‘Do you know what that means? He might be the first black president!’ And she said ‘Yes, and African Americans weren’t allowed to vote. But it’d be just as good if Hillary had got it, because women weren’t allowed to vote either.’

Love them.

People are saying that Obama, like other presidents, will probably not be able to follow through on all his promises, and that his policies are not always the best (believing in civil unions but not same-sex marriage, for instance), and I agree to an extent. But I think a lot of people, including me, are feeling an incredible sense of relief that the Bush era is over.

Barnaby Dawson // Posted 6 November 2008 at 2:49 pm

Unfortunately we’ve had several anti gay marriage laws passed and an ammendment in one state banning gay parents from adopting kids. The latter being worse because at least civil unions can be practically the same as marriages so a marriage ban can be just about the word (not that thats an excuse). Theres no way around the adoption legislation and gay families can’t have children any other way so its even worse.

I am very glad that Obama has won and hope he brings in more powerful equal rights legislation for women, gays, atheists and other marginalised groups.

eon // Posted 17 November 2008 at 11:02 pm

The Republicans would surely have won if they’d let Sarah Palin be more like Michael Palin. As an Alaskan she’s a natural for the lumberjack song.

And when those interviewers caught her out she would’ve garnered a lot more sympathy if they’d gone ‘never heard of the Bush doctrine? That’s a chip up the nose, Sarah’.