Somehow I feel I should remember the Newsround theme….
Louise Livesey // 14 November 2008
- Several sources are reporting an acid attack on schoolgirls in Kandahar. All the girls were wearing burqas which afforded some protection. The Taleban have denied responsibility.
- The UK gender pay gap has increased to 17.1% (overall and 36% for part time workers) and that will in all liklihood increase as the recession hits.
- Joseph Fritzl has been charged with murder, rape, imprisonment, enslavement, incest and crimes. The trial is likely to start early next year.
- Studies have found that young mothers are more prone to depression, especially if they already suffered from it pre-birth. This strikes me as a rather “well doh!” story – lets rephrase that to “socially vilified and undersupported vulnerable group more prone to depression”. Ah-ha that’s what I thought – definately a “well doh!” story.
- And the UN has released it’s 2008 State of the World report focusing on gender inequalities and cultural differences in reproductive health rights. More (and a link) At Feminist Majority Foundation.