Gender theory will destroy ‘man’ – Pope

// 23 December 2008

I think that the Pope’s choice of the term “man” in his horrific speech arguing that gender theory (and, implicitly, blurring gender or gender roles in any way, being lesbian, gay, bisexual or trans) is comparible to destroying the rainforests, is very telling. Gender theory isn’t going to end humanity, but it does threaten patriachy.

The Guardian reports:

Speaking in a holiday address to the Curia, the Vatican’s central administration, Benedict said yesterday the church viewed the distinction between men and women as central to human nature, and “asks that this order, set down by creation, be respected”.

The church, he said, “should protect man from the destruction of himself. A sort of ecology of man was needed, he said,” adding: “The tropical forests do deserve our protection; but man, as a creature, does not deserve any less.”

Benedict focused his attack on what he described as “gender” theories, “which lead towards the definitive emancipation of man from creation and the creator”.

Homosexual groups in Italy called the speech an unfounded attack on homosexuality and, more specifically, on people who undergo sex changes. “What keeps the pope awake at night is the idea that human beings might be able to seek out their own sexual identity in a bid to have a happy life,” said Franco Grillini, head of Gaynet.

“The speech has no scientific basis,” said Aurelio Mancuso, head of Arcigay. “A divine programme for men and women is out of line with nature, where the roles are not so clear.”

UPDATE: Via Penny Red’s Christmas tantrum post, this is a great calendar of LGBT Christian saints.

JenniferRuth // Posted 23 December 2008 at 1:06 pm

Using religion to justify ones own bigotry – I wish I could say I was shocked.

So, only relationships between a man and a woman are acceptable because they can pro-create. How odd, then, that he doesn’t mention heterosexual couples that have decided not to have children or those that can’t.

JENNIFER DREW // Posted 23 December 2008 at 3:08 pm

Ah yes you spotted the deliberate mistake. ‘Man’ apparently means both women and men – but of course it does not has evidenced by Pope’s misogynistic claims. Pope is right though, because it is ‘man’ who is destroying tropical forests not women.

Marks out of 10 = 4 and comments: need to try harder and learn more about feminist theories concerning social construction of patriarchal heterosexist behaviour.

Samantha Nattress // Posted 23 December 2008 at 3:29 pm

*tut* shows how much the pope knows…. I reckon God LOVES the Gays… thats why he gave them the best fashion sense…

RE: Gods unconditional love see also:

:-)

Sabre // Posted 23 December 2008 at 4:39 pm

Sarah // Posted 23 December 2008 at 8:05 pm

Now I remember why I chose to leave the Catholic Church.

Brandon // Posted 24 December 2008 at 4:03 pm

Like many others have said, I am not the least bit surprised. However, it does sadden me deeply that a man who has been given such a powerful position and voice chose to perpetuate hate. As a human being, a LGBT friendly person, and an academic specializing in Gender/Queer Literary theory, the Pope’s words offended and reminded me why I absolutely despise religion.

Jude // Posted 24 December 2008 at 11:47 pm

No sexist comment wil be posted? What about “Hey the Pope is right, gender theory does threaten man – the patriarchal construction of man. Good” or “Pope is right though, because it is ‘man’ who is destroying tropical forests not women. ” ?

Anne Onne // Posted 25 December 2008 at 12:38 pm

Well since the pope has no idea about science, and has proved himself unwilling to learn or cooperate with anyone who doesn’t follow his doctrine, I’m not surprised.

I can get why someone can choose to believe what he, and many Catholics, do (even though I believe they’re wrong) but it’s infuriating that they have to insist that EVERYONe who disagrees or does not live up to their lifestyle should be marginalised and shunned. I wish I could write about this without coming across insulting, since the Pope is an important figure, but his pronouncements do so much harm, and have so little respect for anyone who disagrees with him, that it’s hard not to reply in kind.

Besides, I’d like to see what ‘distinction’ he’s talking about. Most of what we percieve to be the innate differences between men and women are cultural and have shifted through the times. You’d think someone with a grasp of history (which I always assumed would include the Pope) would recognise that.

Jess McCabe // Posted 26 December 2008 at 10:17 pm

Jude, I don’t think either comment is sexist. Sorry.

Overwhelmingly it is men – and industry controlled by men – that is responsible for destroying the rainforests. That’s not to say that only men are responsible, or there’s something innate in men that makes them not care about destroying the planet, or something innate in women that makes us care more about the planet.

But it is, in my view, related to a hierarchical view of the world, which values male humans above everyone and everything else – I do think that’s connected to a society that’s happy to perpetuate deforestation, no matter the consequences. Likewise, I think it’s connected to particular ideas about masculinity, as involving and lionising destruction. It’s about other things, too, of course, such as capitalism, but personally I see it as all connecting up.