England team in World Cup final

// 20 March 2009

The women’s cricket team take on New Zealand on Saturday night/Sunday morning (live on Sky Sports, mark you), and have been immense not just in this tournament but over recent years. As you’d expect, the England women aren’t professional cricketers, but the ECB’s time and investment in supporting their development and infrastructure seems to be paying off.

Incidentally, when the so-called liberal lefty Guardian finally got round to covering the women’s fantastic run, the comments box over-ran with readers suggesting that rather doing live over-by-over coverage of the men’s rather dull and disappointing tour of the West Indies, there could be live over-by-over coverage of the women’s tilt at the trophy. No word on that yet, though. Surprising.

EDIT: The England women beat New Zealand by four wickets. I am so inordinately happy and proud. Congratulations!

Mary // Posted 20 March 2009 at 11:16 pm

NEVER READ THE COMMENTS ON CiF!!!

I’m convinced that guardian.co.uk is overrun with trolling DailyFail readers at any given time, all spewing bile against The Grauniad’s loveliness…..

Carrie // Posted 21 March 2009 at 8:14 am

That’s as may be, but in this case it’s the sports desk who give next to no coverage of women’s sport and the readers who are asking for it…

Laura // Posted 21 March 2009 at 7:07 pm

Great stuff :-)

As an aside – ‘DailyFail’ is brilliant, Mary! I dislike ‘Daily Male’ as half the bigoted writers on there are women – it’s not just about male sexism – not to mention the fact that not all men support the paper.

kez // Posted 21 March 2009 at 8:38 pm

I call it the Daily Hate.

Meg Mansworth // Posted 22 March 2009 at 9:24 am

Laura, my family calls it the Daily Malicious. :)

ros // Posted 22 March 2009 at 10:09 am

england won! woo!

polly styrene // Posted 22 March 2009 at 12:51 pm

I just heard a reference on radio 5 to ‘The England men’s team’. When of course normally they’d just be ‘The England cricket team’.

Though I suspect that this just mean’s womens cricket is the new curling. The meeja are only interested when England actually win something.

Anna // Posted 22 March 2009 at 2:59 pm

Daily Heil, every time~

Kaye // Posted 22 March 2009 at 3:16 pm

I call it the ‘Daily Rail’ …

I also agree that the Guardian CiF site is overpopulated by dribbling trolls. I get down reading what those hate-filled individuals spout, so need a good antidote. That’s why i’m here!

When I buy papers I do a quick count of women in the sports section (participants, not WAGS) – 1 point for mention, 2 for a photo. It’s rare outside of Olympics or Wimbledon to score anything but a big fat zero. I just end up turning the pages ‘bloke sport, bloke sport…’. I know not every sport can be represented, so snowboarding or sailing doesn’t get a look in, but winning the cricket World Cup is not exactly a niche event so I hope they get more coverage – the girls’ done good, they deserve the glory :)

Legible Susan // Posted 22 March 2009 at 9:37 pm

The England women’s rugby team also won the Six Nations (I learn from Eve’s Alexandria). Also with no coverage. It’s the fourth time they’ve won, so no, Polly, even when England win the “meeja” aren’t interested.

Laura // Posted 23 March 2009 at 9:15 am

Grr, the 10 o’clock news last night deemed it more important to tell us about the potential for the Indian 2020 to be played here in April than England’s win, even bringing in their Sports ed for an interview. The Indian story was in the main news; the England win followed the football results in the sport.