Happy International Women’s Day!

// 8 March 2009

I’ve posted my photos of yesterday’s Million Women Rise on Flickr – full write-up to follow.

In the meantime, please do add your photos to The F-Word Flickr pool… and leave links to your photos, blog posts, news coverage, etc, etc…

Kate Bromwich-Alexandra // Posted 8 March 2009 at 8:40 am

I am part of a UK group North East Older Lesbian Network http://www.NEOLN.btik.com and I am currently struggling, and I do mean struggling to get a feminist group together. I have just discovered your website and it’s amazing. I don’t know why I didn’t consider the internet as a useful resource, especially as I manage our website, but I’m here now and have high hopes that the renewed awareness of a feminist community will strngthen my resolve to overcome the difficulties involved in setting up new groups

ros // Posted 8 March 2009 at 10:35 am

had an awesome day yesterday. I’ve put my pictures up on flickr too:

Sarah // Posted 8 March 2009 at 12:43 pm

ARRGHHHH!!! Missed it again.

Next year I *will* be there. I’m glad there was a good turnout. Thank you for holding this event.

JENNIFER DREW // Posted 8 March 2009 at 12:47 pm

It was truly an awesome day, especially walking down the central shopping area and knowing we had stopped all traffic. Seeing so many diverse women of all ages, ethncities etc. was very powerful. Equally powerful was seeing women with their children of both sexes. I saw some women with their dogs in the march.

Leaflets were given out to individuals and the message was sent out loud and clear – end male violence against women. Next year hopefully, the march will be even bigger.

Thanks also goes to the tireless work undertaken by the women organisers of Million Women Rise. The planning was excellent and it must have taken many, many hours to work out all the logistics etc. Well done Million Women Rise – but where was the media? Will this march be reported by mainstream press media or will it be ignored once again.

Will we continue to be deluged with trivial media reporting on how women should behave and why feminism supposedly is dead (sic)! Not so, if one looks at the photos of MWR.

rupi // Posted 8 March 2009 at 5:12 pm

Stunning images from yesterday’s march!

I feel so chuffed at helping with this year’s march. I hope people will see these pics, read the stats and accounts and feel inspired to start acting. This is a once a year event, but I hope people will still carry on talking about the issues being highlighted throughout the year.

We must keep communicating..

Oh, and I hope everyone raised those placards high! ;)

Felicity // Posted 9 March 2009 at 2:27 am

I second Sarah’s ‘next year’. Even if I have to attend by myself and meet fellow marching companions once I get there!

At a women’s conference, we discussed how communication is something feminism lacks – things like Million Women Rise are inspiring. If we could for instance get just every woman at the conference to get every woman in their uni’s women’s group to attend, feminism could just form into the organisation which would ensure its success *beams for the future*

I wonder how many would be at the march if whoever had been affected by sexism turned up? Whose lives have benefitted and maybe have yet to benefit from feminism/ activism? The target of a million women would be over- reached and insignificant. Those women in attendance, bravely cried out for the silent cries of 1 in 4 women suffering and ignored.

“but where was the media? ”

Stupid images and portrayals of women being oppressed, take up too much mass- media space for a mere quarter of the country’s crying women to share spotlight.

ladylaxton // Posted 9 March 2009 at 10:14 am

Also had an amazing time on Saturday and was very inspired by all the speakers at the rally. Really good to see a disabled campaigner at the rally speaking out about violence against disabled women too.

Cant wait for Reclaim the Night and MWR next year!

Grace // Posted 9 March 2009 at 4:03 pm

Excellent photos – do you know when the videos will be done? I’m looking forward to hearing Cat from Bham Fems’ interview as I couldn’t hear a word she was saying while we were marching!

It was great walking down Oxford Circus and Regent Street, and I did see some support from onlookers. Felt smaller than last year though, think the rally was just a bit hidden away compared to Trafalgar Square in 2008. Perhaps next year we’ll be in Chamberlain Square (b’ham) ;)

Jess McCabe // Posted 9 March 2009 at 4:12 pm

Hi Grace!

The video’s already up here – I’ll post it properly when I finally finish my full write-up…

Annika // Posted 9 March 2009 at 6:12 pm

I had a fantastic time! And brought with me 3 friends who found it equally amazing and inspiring. I loved how we marched along Oxford Street on a Saturday afternoon, and provoked so much interest from onlookers! Shame the media didn’t take an interest…

Last year was amazing, this year was fantastic, next year will be outstanding, I’m sure.

I was honoured to be there, honoured to speak at the rally, honoured to be surrounded by all of you, thank you. x