Portia De Rossi: I’m sorry my gay marriage hurts your head.

// 23 March 2009

In which Portia De Rossi apologises for the calamitous effects of her marriage to Ellen DeGeneres on the pro-Prop 8 homophobes of the US. Hilarious!

H/t Jezebel.

Transcript:

Hi, I’m Portia De Rossi. When I got married, all I was thinking about was my own joy at committing to love my partner for the rest of my life. I didn’t think about all the people I was hurting by getting married. That was selfish. So, I want to apologise to all those people whose lives have been affected by me getting married.

To Elaine Suttler, who suffered painful and debilitating paper cuts from holding up her simple message of intolerance. To Amanda Mulch, who came down with pneumonia while protesting my marriage in the rain. To George Binder, whose mind was so tragically blown by the idea of gays getting married he has to spend the rest of his life wearing this hat. To Buddy the dog, who was forced to wear this ridiculous sign, even though he himself is gay.

Thanks to Proposition 8, good people and animals like these will never again be subjected to the horrors of gay people getting married. But for me, it’s too late. I know there is no way I can make up for the pain I have caused. All I can say is: I’m sorry.

Saranga // Posted 23 March 2009 at 1:44 pm

Ace!

rita // Posted 23 March 2009 at 2:50 pm

I cannot stop smiling at that response. FTW

Josie // Posted 24 March 2009 at 8:19 am

Love it, good for her! By the by, she really is stunningly beautiful – their wedding photos were breathtaking. They seem like a great couple. Maybe this is the best approach to take regarding the anti-gay marriage crazies – lots of satire to highlight the holes in their argument. Very hard to avoid getting furious though!

Anne Onne // Posted 24 March 2009 at 2:56 pm

At first I thought she was serious. Kyriarchy is that good at getting people to self-loathe and apologise for existing, implicitly and explicitly. I was ready to be heartbroken. Naturally, I ended watching the video beaming. :)

Bekah // Posted 25 March 2009 at 5:35 pm

I love this video, good for Portia!

zohra // Posted 25 March 2009 at 11:14 pm

sweet.

ChinYinYun // Posted 29 March 2009 at 8:01 am

We won’t tired to repeat ,repeat and repeat it: gay marriage is focus on human right, egual, love…;the main purpose of the Legal Lawful status is for safety-ensure to educate-protect every mankind through real or practical strategies; please don’t worry and trust the maturity in the humans.

ChinYinYun // Posted 29 March 2009 at 11:55 am

Yes!Stand firm ,concentrate and bold on equal.humanility,civil right. If it’s hurted in heart speak it out ,will feel comfortable. Many of us are supporting you both ( and… include all our own lovingly gay couples).