Really?

// 29 May 2009

Last night me, zohra and (occasional F-Word guest blogger) Charlotte Cooper went out for a meal near where I work… and walked passed a local restaurant with this ‘interesting’ sign on the street.

This kind of thing reminds me of what Melissa at Shakesville often says, about how ridiculous it is that feminists are portrayed as searching out things to take offense at.

cakeorbed // Posted 29 May 2009 at 11:32 am

You can tell that someone thought they were being *really* clever when they wrote this. What is this even advertising anyway? The actual restaurant? Yeah, cos that makes me wanna eat there.

Saranga // Posted 29 May 2009 at 12:22 pm

Lovely. No really I think it’s hilarious and tasteful. /sarcasm off.

I reckon people would still say that we’re searching out stuff to be offended at, becasue so many folks would think that the sign is just a bit of a laugh. Funny in’t it? Because people still think it’s acceptable to judge women on how much sex they’ve had. And you know, having sex makes you a rank prospect.

Whatever.

The Boggart // Posted 29 May 2009 at 12:57 pm

@ Saranga

True; but remember, not having enough sex also makes you a “rank prospect”, although the slippery,treacherous boundaries of what is considered “too much” and “too little” are constantly shifting, and funnily enough almost always out of the control of the average woman…

Jennifer Drew // Posted 29 May 2009 at 1:32 pm

Feminists have no need to ‘search out things’ because one only needs to walk down a main street to be constantly bombarded with sexualised degrading images of women and girls or be forced to endure men and boys catcalling or shouting sexual insults to women and girls. But it is all ‘humorous’ is it not?

Amy // Posted 29 May 2009 at 2:56 pm

Really? I mean, it’s crude, but I find it completely hilarious. I really like sexual humor though, of all kinds. I think this is definitely a personal taste thing.

Saranga // Posted 29 May 2009 at 3:13 pm

@ the Boggart: True true. Heavens, however is a modern woman meant to comport herself these days? You’d almost think we were meant to achieve this mythical ‘acceptable’ status.

prolly // Posted 29 May 2009 at 4:05 pm

Am I an idiot? I don’t get it. “The slag of Shoreditch”? What does it mean?

Diane // Posted 30 May 2009 at 3:45 pm

Prolly – it’s advertsing something called “El Paso”, maybe a beer?

Amy – it’s not just crude, it’s misogynist. No one who respected women could come up with that.

Jess McCabe // Posted 31 May 2009 at 12:49 pm

@Diane – It’s a restaurant

Rob M // Posted 31 May 2009 at 2:07 pm

Amy – it’s not just crude, it’s misogynist.

It’s calling a restaurant a slag. It’s a tad baffling (although, hey, it is in Shoreditch,) but i’m not convinced it’s misogynistic.

Jess McCabe // Posted 1 June 2009 at 12:31 pm

@Rob M It doesn’t really matter that it was directed at a restaurant, not a person, it doesn’t mean that the ‘joke’ is any less misogynist.

Bal // Posted 1 June 2009 at 11:36 pm

I saw that same sign a few weeks ago and it said ‘more shooters than Hackney Central’ I guess they’re just writing ‘shocking’ stuff to grab attention. Attention grabbing is what advertising is about I guess. Also I think slag is pretty much a gender neutral term now I know plenty of blokes who sleep around that get called slags, sluts and whores. Either way it’s not very funny, just like most of Shoreditch.