‘So much more than an apple?’

// 26 May 2009

Reader Lizzie wrote in with this photo:

pinklady.jpg

She says:

I saw this in the centre of York last Friday and couldn’t believe my eyes. So pink lady apples are ‘so much more than just an apple’? Admittedly they’ve very nice, and pink, but at the end of the day an apple is an apple. Unless of course you bring gender into the equation, along with a mini and slogan. Maybe it’s a special girl apple which will enhance my feminity? Will it burn calories as I eat it? Omg the possibilites! Unfortunately I didn’t to stop to find out what ‘more’ pink lady apples have to offer. Might contact the advertising company…

Karen // Posted 26 May 2009 at 7:59 pm

I love Minis. I’ve always loved Minis, old, new, owned, driven and worked on loads but I have to say that the photo above is an absolute monstrosity (ministrosity?) Why the hell can people not get their heads round the simple fact that not all of us like pink? Minis have been used in advertising since the 60’s and I cannot think of a worse way (except with the obvious glamour model of course) to present one than painting it THAT pink and using it for such a blatant example of sexism. No, this Mininut won’t buy a bloody pink apple! Free the Pink Mini from Apple now and treat it to a respray :)

Karen // Posted 26 May 2009 at 8:04 pm

RE my comment I just sent: I put apple cos I dont know the name of the ad company responsible for this but I just realised that by putting capital “A” on apple, people might think I meant the I-pod and computer company rather than fruit. Oops, sorry! :)

Lily // Posted 27 May 2009 at 7:53 am

I’ve got to say, If I ever saw an apple in that revolting Pepto-Bismol artiicial colour, I’d run a mile. I’m curious as to what their strategy was: I don’t think even the Apprentice candidates could have come up with a campaign as silly as what this looks like.

Jo // Posted 27 May 2009 at 9:52 am

Say it with me:

EWWWWWWW

Hannah // Posted 27 May 2009 at 2:33 pm

An apple is an apple. Marketing has gone way too far! How many more women do they really think they are going to attract to buy their particular apple? This really is advertising and gone too far; another cheap trick thought up to boost profits by attempting to appeal to the female audience. We cannot even eat a fruit anymore without being swathed in logos and corporate ideologies.

Kristen // Posted 28 May 2009 at 4:06 am

Okay- I agree that all the pink is overwhelming and insulting, but Pink Lady apples really are the best apples.