EDM to support Rape Crisis

// 11 June 2009

Please contact your MP and ask them to support Jim Cunningham’s Early Day Motion 1604, which calls on the government to support the Rape Crisis Network:

That this House commends the work of Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre, The Rape Crisis Network and the 38 groups in England and Wales that it acts as an umbrella organisation for, which support victims of rape, sexual abuse, sexual violence and incest; acknowledges the selfless dedication of the workforce of such organisations, who are often volunteers; further acknowledges the challenge these groups face in attaining sustainable funding for their work; and calls on all areas and levels of Government to work together to ensure the Rape Crisis Network and the organisations it supports have the financial backing needed.

There are 19 signatories so far…

Sarah Learmonth // Posted 14 June 2009 at 3:16 pm

Just a note to thank you for supporting our Early Day Motion to get sustained funding for Rape Crisis Centres.

I have been lobbying MPs to sign up and their view is that if constituents have not approached them about the issue, then they wont – so PLEASE write to your MP and let them know you want them to add their name.

I will let you know when I have some news.

Thanks again, Sarah at Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre. x

PS There are now 23 signatories – only 623 to go… !

Kara Beavis // Posted 16 June 2009 at 9:59 am

It is vital that Rape Crisis Centres are provided with sustainable funding in order to continue providing life-saving services. The UK Government is legally required to do this, under international women’s human rights instruments (ie CEDAW) as domestic gender equality legislation (ie Gender Equality Duty).

Sarah Learmonth // Posted 2 July 2009 at 8:47 pm

2 weeks on and we have 48 out of a possible 648 MP signatories.

This says loud and clear what Westminster thinks about rape and it’s victims. The Home Office puts the cost of each rape at £76,000 and yet Coventry Rape and Sexual Abuse Centre is funded only £160 per victim.

Only 1 Conservative MP has signed up as yet.

Please lobby your MP’s and ask them to sign up.

Piscesmoon // Posted 11 July 2009 at 3:08 am

So have the conservatives given an explanation as to why they are not supporting the EDM??

Did they not state that it is their intention to provide Rape Crisis Centres with ring fenced funding if they get in?!?!

Random… but…. I asked my son to pick up his toys today and I told him he could have a chocolate bar for doing so…. he replied “give me the chocolate first and I’ll do it after, promise” his halo appeared. Past experience has taught me that this does not work because as soon as he gets what he wants the incentive is no longer there. My five year old is obviously not bothered about the state of his bedroom and would say anything to get that reward with minimal effort. He is only five though………

Sarah Learmonth // Posted 12 July 2009 at 3:23 pm

We have had MP’s responses to constituents forwarded to us confirming they fully support our work, but will not sign up either because the EDM does not have the amount we need detailed or because they believe it will only have a limited effect.

Unfortunately they do not suggest alternative methods for us to raise this issue.

I have written to David Cameron asking for his support – he’s a busy man so no response yet. I’ll let you know what he says when I get one.

All the best, Sarah at CRASAC. x

Sarah Learmonth // Posted 17 July 2009 at 7:41 pm

The latest MP to refuse to sign our EDM is Siobhain McDonagh Labour MP for Mitcham and Morden.

Did you know there is only 1 Rape Crisis Centre in the whole of London and it is in Croydon – I wonder where her constituents go for support?

If you live in her constituency please write to the local paper and let them know you would like her to sign.

Janet Musa // Posted 2 August 2009 at 3:58 am

My organisation is set out to help people with immigration problems but rape victims from various African countries approach us to help them. I am glad to have come accross this charity. African women are naturally reluctant to discuss or report rape in their country of origin. Rape is associated with shame and disgrace for the victim’s family. Changing attitudes is required among my African people.