Internship Opportunities at Refuge

// 2 July 2009

Refuge is the country’s largest single provider of emergency accommodation and support to women and children escaping domestic violence. They’re currently recruiting interns, and we thought some readers might be interested:

Internship opportunities

Refuge is looking for capable and enthusiastic interns to provide a range of support in fundraising. Taking on an internship role at Refuge will not only provide personal development but also the opportunity to gain a wide range of work experience in a successful charity environment.

* Location: Refuge Head Office in central London

* Start date: ASAP

* Duration: 3 – 6 months

* Ideally, interns will work 3 days per week, although it may be possible to work 2

* Travel expenses provided

* Suitable for graduates or postgraduates

* Excellent IT and communications skills essential

* Candidates must have empathy with the aims and objectives of Refuge

To apply, please send a CV with covering letter (of no more than 2 A4 pages). Please outline any relevant experience including your reasons for applying for this post to: sonia_johal[at]refuge[dot]org[dot]uk

Please quote reference FW

The deadline for applications is 5pm, Friday 17th July 2009

Helen // Posted 3 July 2009 at 10:18 am

So only people with university degrees are worthy of helping people? Nice.

Victoria // Posted 3 July 2009 at 1:42 pm

I don’t think that’s what they’re saying. I think they’re saying that these particular posts require graduate-level skills. I was not eligible to apply for promotion at the charity where I work because I’m not qualified to the right level. My employers weren’t saying that I couldn’t help people, just that they needed somebody with a particular set of skills to do this specific job.That doesn’t mean that people without degrees are ‘unworthy’ of helping people.

Sarah // Posted 3 July 2009 at 4:31 pm

I actually read that differently – not as saying a degree was required, rather that this would be a suitable position for a new graduate, not necessarily someone with previous experience of such work. Internships are generally positions aimed at university students and recent graduates, and are a popular way of gaining the kind of experience and training that you don’t get in the classroom. I think if they meant ‘degree required’, they would have said so.

And even if they did mean that, it only applies to this particular position – there are plenty of other opportunities in the world, and probably within this organisation, for ‘helping people’.

Hannah // Posted 4 July 2009 at 8:31 am

Argh, internships! Free labour. As if people haven’t racked up enough debt at uni, to be told they must also be experienced before gaining employment, so must gain said experience for free. This is a form of inter-generational slavery and I do not approve!

LonerGrrrl // Posted 5 July 2009 at 6:43 pm

I’ve come across a few volunteer and internship opportunities in the women’s sector that I would be interested in, but the fact they are unpaid and/or part-time makes it a no-no. I can’t afford to do it. Not to mention the fact that most of them are based in London- if you don’t already live in London how can you afford to uproot & live in the capital for a few months with little to no money coming in?

I understand that a lot of women’s organisations and charities cannot always afford to pay wages, but this kind of stuff does have implications for who ends up working for these organisations, and consequently, whose representing and steering the course of women’s services\feminism in this country i.e. the privileged, well-connected few.

Ruth // Posted 5 July 2009 at 10:25 pm

@Hannah

Well, speaking as someone who provides unpaid domestic services to my adult children (although I do of course insist they do some things for themselves), I’d say ‘intergenerational slavery’ works both ways …:-)

Seriously, the realities of life are that there is an oversupply of graduates and an undersupply of graduate level, paid, non-specialist work right now (and not just now, to be honest). Another hole in the Government’s attempt to sell university as an economic investment and charge people for the privilege.

Danielle // Posted 8 August 2009 at 9:05 am

Hi!

Well, i obviously missed the deadline, but would really be interested in an internship in this field! If anyone knows of anything, it would be great to recieve some information! Thank You!