My kind of post-feminist

// 13 July 2009

Feminist Webs is calling for young women to submit postcards on “what young women want”, for a book which will be sent to local and national decision makers.

Here are the instructions:

web-instruction-postcard.jpg

1. Buy or create a postcard

2. Fill in the back to say any of the following:

What do you want/need as a woman in today’s society?

What does feminism mean to you?

What is positive body image?

Use: cut outs, magazines, experience, comics, collage, paint, felt-tips, pens, quotes, imagination…Use your voice!

3. Send your post card to this address:

Feminist Webs

Post-feminist project

PO Box 184

Manchester

M41 OWU

They’ve posted some examples on their website – I like this one:

chick_postcard.jpg

JenniferRuth // Posted 13 July 2009 at 4:41 pm

Nice project – inspired by Post Secret, I presume?

What counts as a “young woman”?

(I’m about to turn 27 and not feeling particularly young anymore!)

Rachel // Posted 13 July 2009 at 11:51 pm

We have loads of stuff telling us we matter and have value right now in our youth. In youth there are things to be ‘grateful for’. What we worry about is where the value and consideration goes past 25. Maybe I’ll jot that on a postcard.

Proof even feminists buy into patriarchy’s idea of the only women who matter (young and beautiful) being worth thought. Sure she can be powerful, intelligent, a feminist, as long as she’s young and hot.

We’re part of the young hot feminist force, right?! Patriarchs be damned and penis- whipped into shape.

If I hear another ‘Ellie Cool Feminist’ slate older women for the cause of women everywhere I think I’ll retch.

Brilliant Idea Though.

Mary // Posted 14 July 2009 at 10:03 am

Jennifer, I was just about to say the same! Thirty? Am I into the No-Longer-Young Demographic now?

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 July 2009 at 10:14 am

@Rachel and Mary – If you have a look at the feminist webs site, it says the project is specifically focused on feminist youth work:

This project is an intergenerational enterprise to design and produce an online ‘women and girls work space’ that will act as both an archive and a resource for practitioners, volunteers and young women involved in youth and community work with young women. Our bias is toward work which encourages participation and is from a feminist ‘rights-based’ perspective.

It doesn’t seem to me to be sidelining older women, it’s just that this particular project is about youth work, so it seems obvious to me why they particularly want to highlight young women’s experiences – and also place a big emphasis on connecting with older feminist youth workers.

Even though there’s a risk that young-people-oriented projects could be agist, I don’t get the sense that this is.

JenniferRuth // Posted 14 July 2009 at 11:48 am

@ Jess

I understand what you are saying but it doesn’t really explain who you want a postcard from. Those over 21 need not bother? Or is it for teens?

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 July 2009 at 11:51 am

@JenniferRuth, I’m not sure, might be best to ask Feminist Webs directly?

JenniferRuth // Posted 14 July 2009 at 11:53 am

Oops, sorry Jess, I apologise – I thought that this was your project. I will ask them.

Kate // Posted 14 July 2009 at 12:11 pm

25. Teenage spots but emerging fine lines and a potential grey hair. How’s the for body image but am I allowed to tell them about it?

Jennifer Yong // Posted 14 July 2009 at 1:37 pm

The rules state that the deadline is 30th April 2009? I think we missed the boat on this one!! >_

Jess McCabe // Posted 14 July 2009 at 2:25 pm

@Jennifer Young Oops! I guess we’ll just have to look forward to the book coming out now, then.

Mary // Posted 16 July 2009 at 11:44 am

Jess – It wasn’t a complaint about ageism! I’ve no problem with a space being reserved for young women under 25 (or whatever cut-off point) to talk about feminism. I actually meant it as a genuine question about who they are targetting and whether I’m in the intended group or not – plus a bit of personal panic about the fact that I do feel like I’m on a bit of a generational cusp at the moment!

Amelia // Posted 25 August 2009 at 3:53 pm

Hi all :o)

just to set the record straight, we would likt the postcards by christmas… and young is self defined.. how about that!

Amelia