Appalling racism on display at BNP festival

// 24 August 2009

We all know the BNP are racist, but should you ever need to try and prove this to someone else, you could start by pointing them in the direction of this News of the World (!) article on their “family” festival which took place a couple of weekends ago:

A LITTLE girl grins with glee as she holds a golly over a fire . . . while a jeering BNP politician finds the doll guilty of BEING BLACK during a vile mock trial and execution.

The baying crowd cheers when the toy – dubbed Winston – is condemned and dropped on to the flames to “die”.

Goading on the assembled adults and kids the politician, a local council candidate, yells out these chilling words: “Let’s get a real one . . . in the town we’ll find one or two.”

The NOTW’s undercover reporter also heard MEP Andrew Brons compare Islam to smallpox, saw white supremacist books and merchandise on sale and watched as BNP supporters picked up hammers and axes and charged towards the perimeter fence when a protester tried to break through.

Sickening stuff.

Thanks to Dawn for the link.

sianmarie // Posted 24 August 2009 at 4:16 pm

this is so disgusting. i hope this gets in all the mainstream news channels so all those idiots who voted bnp in the european elections “because they didn’t realise they were racist” (wtf kind of excuse is that – can’t they read??!!) will see this and feel ashamed and change who they vote for next time around.

Debi Linton // Posted 24 August 2009 at 4:33 pm

While I despise the BNP and everything they stand for; this is the News of the World, so of course I don’t believe a word of it.

– could probably also be applied to most paper newspapers.

Steph // Posted 24 August 2009 at 8:20 pm

Well, I despise both the BNP and NOTW, but in this case it looks like the NOTW might just have done some reasonable journalism…

Helen // Posted 25 August 2009 at 2:02 am

It’s unspeakably sad when you hear about little kids being brainwashed into stuff like this. And, “Winston”? how Orwellian.

Liz // Posted 25 August 2009 at 8:44 am

Helen, I was going to say how interesting that they named their golly after a great British ‘hero’…surely a mistake on their part!

JenniferRuth // Posted 25 August 2009 at 9:15 am

Normally I would also be hesitant to believe NofW reporting. However, I don’t think they would stretch to faking a video of such an event.

I am surprised that other papers have not picked up on this story.

Kez // Posted 25 August 2009 at 9:23 am

Sounds like a fun day out for all the family….

While I wouldn’t view anything printed in the NOTW as especially reliable, they do appear to have photographic and video evidence, so I think we can assume the gist of the whole thing is accurate enough. Which is hardly a major surprise, given that this is the “we’re not racist at all, honest” party.

I doubt Winston has any Orwellian connotations, probably just “the sort of name the BNP think black men have”. Also possibly a reference to Winston Silcott, if they’re capable of remembering that far back.

Horrible stuff all round. :(

RadFemHedonist // Posted 25 August 2009 at 1:05 pm

That’s awful, and they’re indoctrinating legal minors as well. I just hope everyone pays attention to this and condemns the b.n.p. for it, if this doesn’t convince everyone that they are racist, xenophobic, anti-immigrant facists then I don’t know what will (though I would have thought that all that bile about removing the nationality of every u.k. citizen who’s asian or black might have been a hint, but apparently not). I have been known to refer to religion as a disease on occasion, but never any specific religion, and while I am anti religion, I don’t think comparing it to disease is a very good tactic, not least because it isn’t a disease, it’s unevidenced belief and I think it does a great deal of harm but it’s not a disease.

Doreen // Posted 25 August 2009 at 4:26 pm

I think a lot of people who voted BNP are racist and just keep quiet about it..they might come up with other reasons for voting for them but I have a sneaky feeling that this is just an excuse to cover for their racism….which they do not wish to make public. I cannot believe the vile racism on Youtube…it is sickening. How people get away with it is beyond me. Anyway you only have to look at the history of the BNP to know what their fundamental beliefs are..white superiority. Saw a nice old photo on the web the other day of Nick ‘Gruntin’ Griffin…sporting a ‘White Power’ T shirt…says it all..