Gift ideas from The F Word shop!

// 28 November 2009

Hi readers

As the festive season approaches (sorry, sorry, I know it’s only November), we’d like to remind you about our F Word shop (more background here).

If you click through from our links and then buy books, Amazon gives us a little bit of money for each purchase. We can use this to help develop the website and give to women’s charities.

(Of course, if you don’t want to use Amazon you can always choose to buy from one of the following independent stores:

Housmans (London)

News From Nowhere (Liverpool)

Word Power (Edinburgh)

Cath Tate Direct (online only – was Womensstore, sell feminist-themed nik-naks)

I thought I would offer a few suggestions to give you some ideas if you’re looking for feminist-themed presents to buy for people! Some of the books we’ve listed in the shop are out of print, but we’ve kept them in because we like them or think they’re important (also you can often get second hand versions from other sellers).

So, we have diaries and calendars: for the old-school among you how about We’Moon 2010 or if you speak German how about this intriguing sounding Queer feministischer Taschenkalender 2010?

51dtGCudiXL._SL210_.jpg

I recently finished reading, and would recommend Word Warriors, an amazing, inspirational and moving collection of women spoken word artists and their work, including Alix Olsen, Sarah Jones and Michelle Tea and Julia Serano.

We have some more recently published books on feminism as well as some old classics.

514C3JFCMBL._SL210_.jpg

We have suggestions for children and young people including Girls will be Boys will be Girls will be…, or how about one of Studio Ghibli’s animations featuring strong female characters, like Laputa: Castle in the Sky.

51HMK6DD8XL._SL210_.jpg

We have comics and graphic novels listed, such as the award winning Fun Home by Alison Bechdel.

Anyway, I won’t go on as you can browse the store and see for yourself!

Finally, how about supporting the lovely people at Subtext magazine by buying a subscription?

Feel free to make more suggestions in the comments.

Ana // Posted 28 November 2009 at 7:21 pm

Thanks for this, lots of good ideas here. I must say that if my sister and I had been given a book called laputa: castle in the sky as children, there would have been a very uncomfortable silence. The name in the title, separated into two words is something rather rude in Spanish!

Gift Ox // Posted 28 November 2009 at 11:09 pm

Some cool diaries and calendars out there in your Amazon shop. It is such an amazing thing to be able to give out to charities. It doesn’t matter what king of nice charity is being supported, it’s the generosity of being able to help that counts. A fantastic gift idea indeed.

Aimee // Posted 29 November 2009 at 11:09 am

I love Studio Ghibli films! I think I have almost all of them. The female characters are so amazing, and so varied. I can’t understand why the british and american film industry keep churning out the same boring, characters with the same formulaic stories when stuff like this exists!

Hannah // Posted 29 November 2009 at 12:33 pm

I just want to add my voice to the recommendation of Fun Home, which is one of my favourite books. One of the staff in wonderful Nottingham comic shop Page 45 (they deserve a plug for always being so lovely) suggested it to me, and I’ve been passing it round my friends ever since.

It’s a really perceptive and touching story about Bechdel’s early life, her coming out as a lesbian and her complex relationship with her father, though that’s a big oversimplification of how many different themes are running through the book. The illustrations are completely charming – think the ‘French style’, Madeleine, Tintin – and it’s often really funny too. As an English student I enjoy the literary allusions and motifs, but Fun Home isn’t so tied up in its own intertextuality as to be boring for people who aren’t into that sort of thing – the same goes for the lesbian coming out theme, which maybe might have put some people off buying it as a present.

In conclusion, I love this book, buy it for all your friends!

Maria // Posted 29 November 2009 at 3:47 pm

Ooo think I may treat myself :)

And get something for my sister.

JenniferRuth // Posted 30 November 2009 at 9:09 am

Thanks for this! It will be ever so helpful when I start the Christmas shopping tomorrow!

I do have to ask for some advice though. My eldest niece is 15, 16 next June. I would really like to get her a feminist book because I think if someone had given me such a thing when I was her age it would have done me the world of good (I was always a feminist but I didn’t really know it until I was about 20!).

I want to get her something that is an introduction to feminism and not too academic. Something that she can relate to personally. I was thinking of getting her Jessica Valenti’s “He’s a Stud, She’s a Slut…” because I think the idea of talking about double-standards would mean something to her – but I have not read it, so maybe she is too young for it yet?

Thanks!

Catherine Redfern // Posted 1 December 2009 at 7:27 pm

Sorry if this is too late JenniferRuth – but I think He’s a Stud would be suitable for a teenager as it’s a good gentle intro into double standards. It probably has quite a bit of swearing it, though, if that’s a problem for you…