Transcribers wanted

// 18 November 2009

Tags: ,

As part of the ongoing initiative to make this site more widely accessible, we are looking for volunteers to transcribe videos and provide subtitles.

While researching recent posts on accessibility, we’ve followed up one potential lead so far and are looking to get a team together so that not all the work piles up on one person during times when several posts that day simultaneously need transcription or detailed picture descriptions.

Do you know anyone with skills or knowledge that could help us with this?

earwicga // Posted 18 November 2009 at 10:46 pm

What skills or knowledge are required other than typing?

Katie Fry // Posted 18 November 2009 at 11:13 pm

I could definitely help. I have 2 years experience as a Certified Braille Transcriber. With Braille you deal with A lot of verbal descriptions as well as notes to the reader, also called ‘transcriber notes’. I would love to get some more info to get an idea of what you are needing. And if you have more questions from me, please contact me. Thank you!

Anna // Posted 19 November 2009 at 5:11 am

I have some small amounts of time per week I could assist with this. If you email me, we can discuss it a bit.

cim // Posted 19 November 2009 at 9:15 am

Quixotess, perhaps?

Holly Combe // Posted 19 November 2009 at 9:30 am

Thanks Anna and Katie :-)

@Earwicga: Just quick accurate typing would be brilliant but some knowledge of accessibility issues and the kind of experience Katie Fry describes would be a bonus. (@cim: Quixotess was our first potential lead and we’re already hoping she can help but thanks for mentioning her anyway!)

Kez // Posted 19 November 2009 at 10:48 am

I don’t have much time, but I do have fast typing skills and a knowledge of accessibility issues. So I could do a little, if needed.

earwicga // Posted 19 November 2009 at 10:57 am

Ok, well I have quick accurate typing, but no other experience so can do basic stuff if you need me :)

Tamasine // Posted 19 November 2009 at 12:16 pm

I used to take notes for a blind student at university – apparently he found my descriptions of pictures really good, so I wouldn’t mind helping out :)

Rachael // Posted 19 November 2009 at 2:09 pm

I wouldn’t be much help with providing transcription but I’m happy to help with testing site accessibility where I can.

Holly Combe // Posted 19 November 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thanks Kez, Earwigca, Tamasine and Rachael. Will be in touch with more details…

saranga // Posted 19 November 2009 at 4:56 pm

I don’t suppose you’ve considered using BSL interpreters for any videos have you?

For people for whom BSL is their first language, subtitles aren’t neccessarily much use.

I realise that interpreters are expensive but you may be able to find a trainee interpreter who would be willing to do it for free, if they could use it as part of their portfolio for becoming accredited.

Holly Combe // Posted 19 November 2009 at 5:10 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, Saranga. Getting a trainee in sounds like a good idea to follow up. We need to move quite fast with the blog so that posts don’t date and I imagine there might be issues with timing. However, even a late BSL addition to a post would be better than not doing it at all and, in the long run, I would hope we could find a way round that.

bint alshamsa // Posted 19 November 2009 at 7:35 pm

I’m a person with disabilities and disability rights advocate, so I guess you could say that I have a bit of experience with accessibility issues. I also have a significant bit of time I could devote to doing this effort. I’d love to have the opportunity to do this for my deaf/HOH sisters and brothers and anyone else who could benefit from transcriptions.

saranga // Posted 19 November 2009 at 11:45 pm

i think any bsl addition, even a late one, would be good. if you need to find someone try contacting your local deaf centre, or local deaf association, or signature.org.uk who have info on how to find an interpreter on their site, or any local colleges/unis around you that offer bsl level 4 courses.

tkarin // Posted 20 November 2009 at 1:18 pm

I admit I’m not familiar with the issues involved, but I’m a fast typist and more than happy to give a little of my time where it’s needed.

Holly Combe // Posted 20 November 2009 at 1:57 pm

Thanks bint alshamsa and tkarin. This is great… I’m going to set up a Google, Yahoo or Facebook group for transcribers/access advisors so you can all know who’s doing what when we put in a request…

Holly Combe // Posted 23 November 2009 at 10:58 pm

Quick update: We’ve got the Google group set up now so anyone reading this who can help can register their interest here and I’ll send you an invite. Also, I’ve got in touch with Signature about BSL interpreters. Thanks again, Saranga, for the suggestion.

It’s become apparent that we’ll at least be getting a head start on some transcriptions with YouTube’s new automatic captions service (thanks to Nik Butler for the heads up on the BBC article):

It looks like it will only apply to some material though, such as “some education channels and most Google channels”.

saranga // Posted 24 November 2009 at 8:37 am

can you add me to the google group?

Holly Combe // Posted 24 November 2009 at 12:49 pm