“Dear Sisters of the Earth”

// 16 February 2010

“Dear Sisters of the Earth”, a history walk celebrating Manchester’s “rebellious and revolutionary women” is scheduled for a week on Sunday, 28th February 2010.

The walk will explore the stories of women at Peterloo, the forgotten feminists of the 1830s, suffragists and suffragettes, the second wave of feminism in the 1970s, Mrs Gaskell, Mother Ann Lee and Mary and Lizzie Burns.

Meet at 10:45am, outside Central Library, St Peters Square, M2 5PD. (Google Maps | Streetmap)

The walk will last approximately 2 hours and the charge is £5.00.

JenniferRuth // Posted 16 February 2010 at 11:39 am

Who is organising this walk?

(do they have a website or do other walks?…is it a professional or amateur thing?)

Helen G // Posted 16 February 2010 at 11:46 am

The walk will be led by Michael Herbert – he’s a regular contributor to the Radical Manchester history website.

Louise // Posted 16 February 2010 at 1:57 pm

Sounds great except for the part about Mother Ann Lee – as a religious extremist who perpetuated the cult of virginity, she was far from the type of person I’d want to celebrate.

So she believed in gender equality? Well so too did the Quakers, from whom she took most of her articles of faith, only they didn’t believe that sexuality was impure and should be suppressed.

Michael Herbert // Posted 16 February 2010 at 2:56 pm

IBeing non-religious myself I agree with Louise ‘s comments but I have included Ann Lee in my walk because she was a religious radical who was jailed in Manchester for her beliefs and thrown out of the cathedral prior to leaving for the USA with her followers. I would be interested to know what other pepple think.

Louise // Posted 17 February 2010 at 10:50 am

@ Michael Herbert

Mother Ann Lee was an interesting Manchester persona, fair enough. She deserves an historical mention in the context of the times.

I just wouldn’t want to celebrate her as one of Manchester’s “rebellious and revolutionary women”! But it may just be me :)

childerowland // Posted 17 February 2010 at 11:47 am

This sounds really interesting – I wish I could go.

I think it’s fair enough to include Mother Ann Lee. Ok, so her ideas regarding sex were unhealthy and damaging – but I imagine most peoples’ attitudes towards sex at that time would fail to live up to the ideals of 21st century feminism – if not for the same reasons as Mother Ann’s. In other respects she was progressive and I admire her for that. I think it’s important to draw attention to female religious leaders when the overwhelming majority of religious leaders were and continue to be men.

Elle // Posted 18 February 2010 at 10:11 am

If Mother Ann Lee’s actions were revolutionary and rebellious for her time, regardless of the fact she was female, then it sounds like she deserves inclusion. The Pankhursts, Burns sisters, Elizabeth Gaskell, etc. all meet that brief.

But if her actions were only revolutionary BECAUSE of her gender, like if her religion was the same as many others and only different because it had a female leader (I know nothing about it so it’s not for me to decide), then she’s not in the same league as the others.

Womens’ role in social revolution needs celebrating… what a fantastic idea for a walk!