Quick hit: election

// 7 May 2010

Tags: , , ,

Women’s Views on News has running commentary on the implications of the election result for women’s representation, and the Women’s Resource Centre is already calling for all the parties to show their feminist credentials and not leave women’s services “hanging” in the hung Parliament.

This Saturday there is a protest in Trafalgar Square calling for electoral reform, with rallies in Glasgow, Manchester, Bristol, Oxford and Middlesbrough as well.

HannahB // Posted 7 May 2010 at 11:44 am

YES! Finally! I knew i’d find something here. been trying to find out how women have fared so far all bloomin morning.

cant wait to see final results. I onder if things have improved?

Laura // Posted 7 May 2010 at 1:32 pm

So pleased Caroline Lucas got in in Brighton :-)

LonerGrrrl // Posted 7 May 2010 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, I think Caroline Lucas’ win has been the most positive outcome of this election so far (well, in addition to the Conservatives not securing a majority, but as I write this, it looks likely they’ll still be taking power -albeit following some sort of pact with the Lib Dems).

I feel rather ambivalent & disappointed with the outcome really, mainly due to the Lib Dem’s disappointing results. Their share of the vote in my constituency was considerably down on 2005, and my region, the East Midlands, no longer has a single Lib Dem MP with huge gains for the Tories- so much for the end of the two party system.

coldharbour // Posted 7 May 2010 at 5:54 pm

@Laura

A great victory indeed. Only polled just over %1 in my constituency, behind U.K.I.P. infuriatingly. I’m sure we’ll do better at the next election though, the trend seems to be a gradual increase in vote share throughout Europe.

gadgetgal // Posted 7 May 2010 at 7:17 pm

Caroline Lucas getting in was the best thing about the election for me, and second to that would have to be the poor performance of the BNP:

Other than that not a great one all round – I agree with LonerGrrl and coldharbour, I’d have liked to have seen more in the way of LibDem and Green votes, people need to start seeing that more liberal-minded parties with alternative ideas of how to run things are a genuine possibility for government. The world won’t end because they want to create greener sources of energy and give people a fair living wage!

I live in hope that with a hung parliament at the moment the smaller parties with good ideas will get more of a say.

Anne Onne // Posted 8 May 2010 at 3:49 pm

I was personally impressed not by the result but with the amount of discussion I saw amongst people about the election, and the number of my peers to vote. Given the problems we’ve had with apathy, it’s a small comfort at least that we didn’t sink into the kind of situation where nobody votes and parties like BNP or UKIP end up winning seats. I was particularly unimpressed when one of their candidates started a fight with some Asians when out campaigning. It looks like the candidate initiated the exchange with three Asian youths by asking them how many of them are robbers (from what I can make out). I can’t make out what’s said after that, but there’s some macho posturing and pushing from both sides. The BNP candidate Bob Bailey tells the youths to move on because they’re outnumbered (at least five or six on the BNP side on screen, not including the cameraman/woman). One of the young Asian men retaliates by spitting at Mr. Bailey as he turns to leave, but Mr. Bailey retaliates by attacking the young man. A fight ensues that involves most of the BNP people there, as well as the young Asian men.

A disappointing episode, not only because it was deeply unprofessional of any politician to act like that, but also because it gives the party an excuse to talk about how THEY’RE the ones being misunderstood and targeted.