So long and thanks for all the fish!

// 30 June 2010

So today marks my last day as a guest blogger here at The F Word. I’ve had an utterly fabulous time and Helen G has really outdone herself as my blogging buddy and has been endlessly patient with my constant badgering and questions (in fact not ten minutes ago I emailed her to ask if I could make this post, and five minutes later she’d replied!).

I just wanted to say thank you to the team at The F Word for having me, and most of all thank you to everyone who commented on my posts, because the conversation that’s been going on in the comments has been spectacular! I’ve learned a lot from all of you, and I really look forward to chatting with you in the comments in the future.

I really hope that one day I’ll be able to repeat my guest blogging stint because it’s been so much fun, but until then – so long, and thanks for everything!

earwicga // Posted 30 June 2010 at 5:58 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! I hope you are back soon Anji as I love your posts and the discussions they prompt. Thanks :De

Jessica90219 // Posted 30 June 2010 at 7:52 pm

Yeah thanks for your *great* moderating, which I wrote to the f word and got amended. I think we should get feminists writing who understand the patriarchy. Our oppression is not up for debate. Nor is it ‘conditional’ on feeling for x,y and z other oppressions. I’ve said this in various posts the past week – of course my comments were filtered.

We need to stop ‘debating’ our oppression with anti feminists!

Anji // Posted 30 June 2010 at 8:04 pm

Jessica, I was not the person moderating comments on my post.

Helen G // Posted 30 June 2010 at 8:19 pm

Jessica90210: No, Anji wasn’t moderating comments on her posts; I was.

For what it’s worth, I delayed publishing your most recent comments because each raised its own concerns in my mind and I wanted time to consider how best to resolve those concerns.

Like all TFW bloggers, I am an unpaid volunteer and for various reasons was unable to gather my thoughts enough to contact you directly for further clarification immediately your comments arrived in the mod queue. I had hoped to follow up with you this evening, but your evident impatience I felt mitigated against me taking the time I believed your comments deserved so I simply published them without further comment.

I trust this clarifies the matter for you and thank you for your input.

Jessica90210 // Posted 30 June 2010 at 9:51 pm

Helen, no need to write the reply,  I expect the same ‘freedom of speech” and type of answer that makes everyone feel they’re in a twilight zone;  except in this instance I was obviously denied my free speech, while other people were allowed a discussion bashing feminism. This site is quite anti- feminist, in the sense you allow feminist posts to freely be ripped apart.

I’m aware it’s volunteering (but you enjoy writing, it goes on your CV, you don’t make much of an effort moderating, and other Internet moderators thrive despite the volunteering aspect). If it is your time you’re so worried about, make an effort to make it worthwhile – for you and feminists. Our oppression is not up for debate.

I refused to sit by while feminism was ripped apart and my patriarchy comment was deleted along with many others,  all of which were arguing against sexism.  I’ve been mentally harmed by a patriarchy and just need a place to vent that isn’t a twilight zone!

Why do we need to be super conscious of every type of oppression, and be ashamed of getting angry at our own? I find this site to be doubtful of our oppression. You allow debate of it. I’ve never felt right here. Genuine feminists here have to shout out against the grain just like anywhere else. I donated, regretfully. The policy is very neutral about my oppression.

angercanbepower // Posted 30 June 2010 at 10:52 pm

Don’t go. Please. You’re the best thing that has happened to thefword in the last two years. And I’m only stopping there because I didn’t read it before then.

Elmo // Posted 1 July 2010 at 12:47 am

Really liked the posts- always reading, somtimes commenting!

Ruth // Posted 1 July 2010 at 10:51 am

Aw I wish you weren’t going. It went part of the way towards making up for the mother blaming and anti child posts published here last year. Really refreshing. Hope you write here again. Your perspective is needed within feminism. Hell, if more feminists were like you I might even consider calling myself one again. I honestly admire you for staying a feminist and challenging perceptions from within. That’s really strong and impressive. And yes I think Helen’s fab too, and as for her moderating so it “goes on her CV” seriously what the hell? And the obsession with Free Speech; since when did this become a USian blog? *sigh*

Anji // Posted 1 July 2010 at 11:38 am

Aww thanks everyone! Angercanbepower I actually read your comment out to my partner because I was so touched. :o) I promise I’ll be back just as soon as the team will have me. :D

Maeve // Posted 1 July 2010 at 11:50 am

Anji, I have really enjoyed your posts and I hope you’ll be writing more in the not too distant future.

Jessica, I completely agree with you that the patriarchy and the oppression it causes is not something which should ever ever ever be up for debate. Here or anywhere.

Lynne Miles // Posted 1 July 2010 at 1:58 pm