‘My fault, I’m female’

// 15 July 2010

Tags: , ,

Finally, a place to get those stories of “gender discrimination, pay gap disparity, denial of rights, and inequality” off your chest in an anonymous fashion.

My Fault, I’m Female looks like an interesting blog-to-watch. So far the venting relates to being chided for not wearing makeup, workplace sexual harassment suffered during a summer job in a hotel, and motherly love.

The founder tells us it was inspired by the French blog Vie de meuf, in which women in France record workplace discrimination in a similarly anonymous fashion.

They are also on Twitter.

Photo of venting by on1stsite, shared on Flickr under a Creative Commons license

Hannah // Posted 16 July 2010 at 6:23 pm

I just read this blog and it’s great, thanks for posting about it. It will make a much better home for my angry rants about everyday sexism than my facebook statuses.

Ruth // Posted 16 July 2010 at 7:58 pm

Hmm, quite like the idea, but don’t like this from the blog sidebar:

MFIF (My fault, I’m female) is a blog that shares stories of women who’ve been made to feel it’s their fault that they have a womb at work, at home, or wherever.

Not all women have wombs, not everyone with a womb is a woman. Bit ciscentric to say the least.

Ruth // Posted 17 July 2010 at 7:52 am

Emailed them and they said they took my point about the womb reference and would remove it.

Lorna Gregory // Posted 18 July 2010 at 1:30 pm

I agree the statement is ciscentric and not inclusive (and as feminists we have a responsibility to be inclusive) but I feel completely removing any mention of reproductive systems capable of carrying a baby to term is unfortunate. Many women in the work place are dicriminated against soley because they have or are percieved to have a womb capable of carrying a baby and much as this form of discrimination is unlawful it is still widely seen as acceptable.

Ruth // Posted 19 July 2010 at 9:38 pm

Didn’t suggest they removed all mentions of “womb”, just that they stopped equating it with womanhood. Which they have, at least, on the sidebar, so that’s something.

I mean, it would be nice if every site that talked about “female” could make it clear what they actually mean – is that “assigned female at birth” (sadly, to some feminists, “female” means exactly that) or does it mean “all self-defining females”? I said this to the site owners too but they said “but for the sake of clarity I can’t include all gender subdivisions”. Not sure what that means to be honest. And so I don’t think I’ll be spending much time there.

Yes, people are discriminated against for being pregnant in the workplace (I certainly was) but I think feminism needs to move away with this idea that “being in possession of a uterus” is the primary reason for women’s oppression, because a. it isn’t b. that attitude leads to a lot of child-free feminists seeing children and those who have them as The Enemy / complicit in their own oppression and last but not least c. not everyone with a uterus is a woman and not every woman has a uterus.

EDN // Posted 2 August 2010 at 3:34 pm

Yesterday, when I was going to work, some scruffy guy tells me to have fun at work. I said “I’m not working”.

He thinks I’m unemployed. I heard him say something, then he said to me “I know a woman who picks up cans for $40/month”

My response? I turned around and flipped him the bird.

IMO this guy hasn’t worked for some time.

MYIF