World Cup watch

// 3 July 2010

In my job you learn to let some things go, because otherwise you’d end up with a stomach ulcer and daily heart attacks through stress.

Couldn’t not flag up this particular pearler from ITV1’s commentator Clive Tyldesley last night, though, as he threw to the ad break prior to the beginning of extra-time in Uruguay v Ghana:

“Give the wife a call, tell her you’re staying down the pub for another half an hour.”

Right.

Anji // Posted 3 July 2010 at 8:55 pm

Because only straight, married men and lesbian, civil partnered women watch football? Oh wait, they probably weren’t even talking about lesbians. Just the men. Sigh.

Troon // Posted 4 July 2010 at 8:48 am

I gave up because my little brain couldn’t understand the Perroncel rule. It seemed to be something like ‘if a woman chooses to sleep with two men then at the moment this is revealed all other men must occupy a position on which man actually owns her’, but surely that doesn’t make any sense? Then there seemed loads of exceptions, such as if the woman was in no position to consent and lots of players were involved at once, in which case this rule, like all other laws, didn’t apply. It’s all a bit baffling (sorry about the tone, this is angry as well as facetious).

Thing is there are a lot of women who know the game really well, and English women players who know what it is like to actually progress in a World Cup. Why aren’t they commentating too?

coldharbour // Posted 5 July 2010 at 1:52 pm

There’s been a pretty constant stream of sexist pish from the Five Live crew as well. Unfortunately the World Cup has been a tacit excuse for reactionary English nationalism as well, can’t say I shed a tear when they got rightfully dumped out.

maggie // Posted 5 July 2010 at 2:21 pm

Yeah. I noticed this too. I’ve been disgusted at the horrible sexist adverts during the breaks as well.

Nine // Posted 5 July 2010 at 6:57 pm

Reminds me of the Hold Steady gig I went to at which Craig Finn said to the audience, “Well done for convincing your girlfriends to come to a Hold Steady gig on Valentine’s Day.” Yeah. Cheers, Craig.

Rob // Posted 7 July 2010 at 12:39 am

I’ve been to other feminist sites where there’s been a genuine, enthusiastic discussion about both the football and the issues around it between fans of both genders. Unfortunately, the F-word has nothng but the usual knee-jerk moaning about it in passing.

If you’re so offended about women not being considered fans why don’t you simply get someone to write an actual article about the pleasures and otherwise of being a football fan from a female perspective? Or even something detailed about the women’s game from someone involved in it on a grass roots level? At least then you’d avoid the irony inherent in complaining how female fans aren’t take into account on the one hand, while exhibiting no sign of fandom or even mild affection on the other (even if not everyone takes it to the extent Coldharbour did, rejoicing when the national team goes out).

Carrie // Posted 7 July 2010 at 9:04 am

Rob, my PhD is in the experience of sports fandom. And you know what? Female sports fandom exactly the same as the experience of male sports fandom. When you start saying “this is how females experience being a football fan” and “this is how males experience being a football fan” and drawing gross generalisations from it, then you’re just the same as Tyldesley assuming that everyone watching a World Cup quarter-final is a man, in the pub, with a wife at home.

aimee // Posted 7 July 2010 at 9:37 am

Rob. I can only assume from your name that you are a man. If this is not the case then I apoligise. If it is the case then you have no experience of being excluded by default from these type of events and being made to feel invisible throughout. You’re not subject to the kinds of ‘articles’ like the one I saw on MSN homepage the other day entitled ’17 things women will miss out on during the world cup’… which included things like ‘not getting as much help with the housework’ and ‘not getting as many cuddles’… leaving aside the sexist language and ideas for a second (help with the housework?… ‘cos it’s our ‘job’ and those benevolent men only help out of the goodness of their hearts…. getting cuddles? cos us poor passive women can’t possibly actively ‘give’ cuddles.. but whatever’… the default assumption is that all the men will be watching the football and women wouln’t possibly be interested despite the fact that a scan through the crowds reveals a myriad women painted in white and red… it’s wilful ignorance and it’s offensive… because we are simply not being acknowledged despite the fact that we are quite obviously right there…

And then there’s the whole issue of men ‘having’ to like football… like it’s a given. You know what? My partner and both my brothers HATE football. Mainly ‘cos it’s a boring pile of crap and like some0one said earlier only serves to fuel nationalist ideas and violence… and let’s not go into the economic disparity, the reenforcement of the damaging culture of extreme euphoria and extreme despondency dependng on whether a team wins or loses… etc… the problem is that we are excluded. I don’t want to be excluded based on my gender. I shouldn’t have to write articles about something from my gender’s perspective in order to try and be recognised and made visible. Men don’t have to do that. They’re visible by default. So should we be.

Maeve // Posted 7 July 2010 at 1:29 pm

Dear Rob,

If you don’t like the F-word, then the obvious answer is to stay away and go back to those other more sensible websites. Of course F-word readers would not then have your unique dudely perspective, but I have a feeling it wouldn’t be missed.

Paula // Posted 7 July 2010 at 1:39 pm

Aimee, female football fans in the crowd ARE acknowledged – but only by voyeuristic camera shots on those the cameramen regard as ‘eye candy”. MSN also had a feature on female football fan ”eye candy’ who were committing the heinous crime of distracting male fans from the all-important football!

Good point – why should you have to write something from the perspective of your gender, to be recognised or made ”visible”? Only someone clueless could even say that.

I too know lots of men who have no interest in football. I myself can’t get my head past the insane amounts of money players get paid, whether they perform well or not. And the costs of going to matches, and buying team paraphernalia etc. I think a lot of football fans must be the suckiest of suckers to let themselves get so ripped off all the time. It’s pathetic.

Maia // Posted 7 July 2010 at 2:15 pm

Rob, Carrie flagged up Clive Tyldesley’s remark.

If you view complaints about this remark and others like it as ‘knee-jerk moaning’, then I’m afraid it says more about you than any perceived knee jerking moaners!

And why are you so desperate for attention that you keep visiting and commenting on a website of which you have such a low opinion? I’m afraid that says a lot about you too.

coldharbour // Posted 7 July 2010 at 4:44 pm

@aimee re:”only serves to fuel nationalist ideas and violence”

Bear in mind this was only last year in the U.K.