Weekly round-up and open thread, 20 September 2010

// 20 September 2010

feminismgoingon.jpg

It’s Monday – that means it’s time for The F-Word’s weekly link fest, when we link to recent stories of feminist interest that we didn’t get a chance to write about during the last seven days. We may end up writing about some of these stories in more detail, but not all of them! This is the place to come and discuss any of these items, or share other links.

Photo by rot ist die farbe der hoffnung, shared on Flickr under a Creative Commons license

earwicga // Posted 20 September 2010 at 12:29 pm

Nothing from a Catholic feminist about the pope’s visit? I haven’t seen one but would be interested if anyone has.

earwicga // Posted 20 September 2010 at 12:39 pm

And I would like to add two articles:

Kamila Shamsie’s essay ‘Pop Idols’: http://www.granta.com/Magazine/112/Pop-Idols/1

Arundhati Roy’s ‘The Trickledown Revolution’: http://www.countercurrents.org/roy130910.htm

saranga // Posted 20 September 2010 at 12:57 pm

I’ve just put together a mini directory of women friendly comic shops, so far for the UK, USA and Canada:

If anyone could recommend any more please let me know!

Denise // Posted 20 September 2010 at 2:27 pm

As earwicga says, I’d be interested in reading a feminist’s perspective of the Pope’s visit. I read Roz Kaveney’s Guardian piece, but that was before he landed. In his favourite Prada shoes.

I found it really depressing to see all those young people, especially the girls, cheering him! Do they not know what he stands for? The girls especially, who he would unhesitatingly condemn to repeated pregnancies and childbearing, no contraception or divorce, basically no autonomy over their bodies and lives. I just don’t get how any woman can endorse Catholicism. I was brought up Catholic. I still like plainchant and the smell of incense, but that’s as far as it goes! And I really resented the way he criticised secularism, as if you can only have morals and be a good person if you believe in some religion. I find that outrageous and insulting as well as incredibly stupid. I thought the BBC coverage in particular was far too favourable towards him. Hardly any dissenting voices given air time.

I find it disturbing that religious leaders are coming together more to unite in what is basically their main aim – oppression of women and people who are gay.

sweetviolet // Posted 20 September 2010 at 4:34 pm

@ saranga

There’s a comic shop called Proud Lion in Cheltenham (UK), it’s run and staffed by one man who’s really friendly and helpful (not to mention pro-feminist). I get my comics there while I’m at university, and he even sets aside comics with particularly horrible examples of overly sexualised and objectified heroines so I can have a good laugh at them when I come in.

Elmo // Posted 20 September 2010 at 4:35 pm

already mentioned somewhere but ww2 female pilot documentry on BBC was excellent. These talented, hard working women fought for their right to fly and then helped our country in some of the worst times it has ever faced.

saranga // Posted 20 September 2010 at 4:47 pm

@sweetviolet: that’s fabulous, thank you!

Hazel // Posted 20 September 2010 at 8:24 pm

Wellington Bomber was a good documentary on the construction of the aforementioned plane in less than 24 hours by workers in the Broughton aircraft factory during WWII. Oddly enough, in the Radio Times billing it doesn’t mention that a lot of the workers were women and that the programme focuses on three of them.

The programme: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tr2p5

The billing: http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=10&channelId=105&programmeId=132146812&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp

polly // Posted 20 September 2010 at 9:40 pm

Catholic feminists and the pope? How about.

Josie // Posted 21 September 2010 at 11:28 am

Have a look at Bel Mooney’s article in the Daily Mail today. It’s another take on the recent DM story about a young man who has ‘fathered’ 15 children with 15 women – along the lines of ‘those rotten slags should know better and are WORSE than he is, just coz they’re women’. I read the whole thing with my jaw on the floor. I think it deserves some sort of prize for being the quintessential Daily Mail article.

earwicga // Posted 21 September 2010 at 10:02 pm

Thank you Polly. That’s a good article :)