Weekly Round-Up And Open Thread, 15 November 2010

// 15 November 2010

Tags:

TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as we have no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.

Here’s this week’s open thread for discussion and our regular round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so but not had time to post about.

If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to drop it in the comments here.

————

ETA: Added trigger warnings.

ETA: One link removed at author’s request.

Kit // Posted 15 November 2010 at 8:10 pm

I’m probably being oversensitive, but the TWLOHA link (or rather following that to the main site linked there) might be kinda triggering to some. It’s a nice idea they have going though :)

Joanne // Posted 15 November 2010 at 8:16 pm

MP for Preston Mark Hendrick, in a ‘PC gone mad’ moment was pleased when a school reverted to calling its gingerbread people biscuits ‘gingerbread men’ because, he says “of course the biscuits are men, they were wearing trousers”.

I guess I should chuck my jeans away and go back to petticoats and dresses, then.

(Then, after I posted this story on my Facebook page, a male acquaintance told me it wasn’t feminist to get angry about this sexist story and that I was “hurting the movement”. Huh?)

Helen G // Posted 15 November 2010 at 8:40 pm

Kit: Thank you for your comment and I apologise for not including a trigger warning on the linked To Write Love On Her Arms post.

I’ve now added a trigger warning to that link and am discussing with other TFW collective members the possibility of adding a more generalised advisory note at the head of the post.

Thank you again for your comment.

Helen

Kirsty // Posted 15 November 2010 at 8:59 pm

Re: the Khaled Diab article – it doesn’t seem helpful to me to counter the assertion that ‘all Western women are easy/promiscous’ with the assertion that ‘all Arab men are sex-crazed and only see (Western) women as sex objects’. I really don’t expect to find recommendations for articles reinforcing out-dated Orientalism on the F-Word, to be honest.

beth // Posted 15 November 2010 at 9:11 pm

this is a tiny thing in the grand scheme of things, but it really p’d me off.

the headline to the above story is ‘UK man’s wife killed in carjack on S Africa honeymoon’

Because the most important thing about her is that she was married to a UK man.

AAAARGH! what’s wrong with ‘Woman killed in carjack…’

Except for the obvious. I shudder to think why they killed her and not him.

Seeing as the BBC never seem to respond in any way to complaints about their website, though, I’ve not bothered to complain. Seems pointless.

Helen G // Posted 15 November 2010 at 9:14 pm

Kirsty: Because a link is included in this round-up, doesn’t necessarily mean that we recommend its content, but rather that we thought it may be of interest to readers or to promote discussion of the issue it raises.

Philippa Willitts // Posted 15 November 2010 at 9:17 pm

Beth, that headline is awful! Blimey. Her only identity is as a wife, and she is only of interest because of a UK connection!

annifrangipani // Posted 15 November 2010 at 10:17 pm

@ Joanne

I’ve recently been told by a man that I’m “hurting the feminist movement” by discussing/complaining about things certain men have considered to be trivial. It’s absolutely fascinating, to have these (unfeminist) men tell me how to contribute to a movement! I might try to write something about it, but how about patriarchy in a nutshell, just there?!

mornington // Posted 15 November 2010 at 11:19 pm

Kirsty – on the other hand, it is an interesting idea to look at the other side (as it were). I didn’t read it as saying all Arabic men are oversexed – more of an acknowledgment of the interaction of cultures/issues.

JenniferRuth // Posted 16 November 2010 at 9:36 am

Joanne –

The really ridiculous thing about the “Gingerbread Person” debacle is that they were never called that for PC reasons in the first place. It was, apparently, a joke between staff members:

What I think is funny is how the “PC gone mad” people accuse people who are PC of being over-sensitive yet they are the always the ones that get really emotional and angry about this stuff.

Personally, I think if someone has a problem with being PC then 9 times out of 10 they’re an asshole.

Angela // Posted 16 November 2010 at 11:42 am

I found out about this site after my blog appeared in it and am glad I did! …

It’s great to have a place rounding up all these issues. I hate to admit but I’ve only recently begun to feel exposed to feminist issues and still feel the need to increase my awareness and work out my position. (Something I’m intending to cover in future blog posts.)

My most recent blogpost (finishing school for feminists) can be found here:

Thanks,

A

Beth R // Posted 17 November 2010 at 9:09 am

Beth and Phillipa Willitts- I totally agree that the headline is poorly phrased and the sentiment jars, but I think it is also important to consider the many filters of relevance news stories go through before they are reported. How many murders are committed each week in the UK? Worldwide? And how many of those make it onto the news? Such stories have to be unusual/part of a prominent current concern (eg. youth knife crime)/heartstring pulling (often ‘respectable’ middle class pretty blonde women) to be considered newsworthy. (not, of course, that I am defending any/all of these criteria, especially the last). Furthermore, the world is full of good and bad things happenning, and these cannot all be reported in the UK press – they have to be thinned out one way or the other, and involvement of British tourists or ex pats seems to be a fairly common way to do that – whether we are talking hostage taking, car crashes, fires or what have you. ‘Woman killed in car jack’ in a distant country would simply not be considered newsworthy. Again, I am not saying that this system is good, just that a system is neccessary – the BBC cannot report everything that happens in the world.

aimee // Posted 17 November 2010 at 11:23 am

That story about the woman’s surgery is horrendous… “Her husband’s dead so it doesn’t matter anyway”???

I hope he goes to prison for a long, long time.

nell // Posted 18 November 2010 at 6:21 pm

here is a link to an interesting article from the daily mail.

J // Posted 18 November 2010 at 11:38 pm

Re: the article that nell linked to – bear in mind as you read it that the same author produced this article, about the same mother and daughter, less than ten months ago – http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1247153/Why-mother-obsessed-making-13-year-old-daughter-worlds-No-1-teen-beauty-queen.html

Obvious cynical publicity machine is obvious…