Victoria Pendleton wears Lycra for a living

// 7 January 2011

Grr, I’ve just seen world and Olympic champion cyclist Victoria Pendleton advertising a make of bread on the television. She informs us that it’s good for you and stops you snacking through the day, which is handy “when you wear Lycra for a living.” Funny, could have sworn she was a world-class athlete, but it’s always good to be reminded that no matter how strong, capable, muscled and beautiful your body, you always need to be careful to ensure that it looks nice on display in tight clothing.

Smart Blonde // Posted 7 January 2011 at 8:59 pm

Yay! I’m so glad it’s not just me thinking that when I see this advert!

Josie // Posted 7 January 2011 at 9:37 pm

Made me barf too. Sad that such a talented woman is happy to be reduced to how good her bum looks in lycra

sharon // Posted 7 January 2011 at 11:44 pm

Also glad it isn’t just me! Quite different for male athletes whose job it is to wear lycra eg Sir Chris of Hoy, who doesn’t bang on about the size of his thighs while eating his bran cereal. Nope, he just gets to show off what he does. While Victoria gets no action shots while talking about how she looks…

Jennifer Drew // Posted 8 January 2011 at 12:20 am

What Victoria Pendleton is a World and Olympic Champion cyclist? I never knew that because I thought she just wore lyra so as to always be ‘sexually hot for the boys!’

Does this mean that male cycling champion Chris Hoyles wears lycra in order to be ‘sexually hot for women?’ No don’t be stupid – men aren’t sex objects they are clever and anyway Hoyle is a real athlete because his real job isn’t one promoting bread or any other consumer products!

Hannah // Posted 8 January 2011 at 12:31 am

I haven’t seen the ad, but I was surprised when I saw her on a packet of bread in my parents’ kitchen yesterday. She was airbrushed to look kind of like Katy Perry.

I just googled for some photos of her and think some of you might have something to say about the Observer and Telegraph ones here: http://veloptimum.net/velonouvelles/8/ART/3mars/20minutesFr29.html As a female cyclist, I find it pretty depressing that she has to pose naked or in an evening dress on a bike to get noticed. I might otherwise have considered her an inspiration, in a sport where there are very few women competing at such a high level.

Jennifer Drew, you’re wrong about Chris Hoy (not Hoyles) – he promotes Bran Flakes. I guess cycling isn’t that well remunerated so they might as well do promotional work if it’s offered to them, it’s just that Pendleton’s is a lot more degrading.

Carrie // Posted 8 January 2011 at 12:33 am

Hannah, I think VP has also done an FHM shoot as well. I didn’t want to go into that here as thought the ad was enough for one little post!

sianushka // Posted 10 January 2011 at 11:02 am

thanks for raising this – it made me angry too!

Pete // Posted 10 January 2011 at 8:40 pm

The link Hannah provided above has an interesting few lines further down the page (I’m guessing taken from a press article);

“Pendleton, the exceptionally pleasant Home Counties girl, clearly has a ‘naughty’ side – which is surely the image most self-respecting 27-year-old women would wish to portray, sporting or otherwise.

I knew when I did the shoot it would stir up opinion, people would be for or against, but I don’t regret the picture at all,” said Pendleton yesterday as she spoke for the first time in her build-up to the Championships. ” I am old enough to make such a decision myself. Actually I was quite pleased with the picture, people could see what I am about, that I am not just a track cyclist.”

– I assume suggesting she has a ‘naughty side’ was what was deemed required to keep male readers interested. Perhaps she could have simply discussed her sporting achievements (although at the end of the day, as with her male colleagues, these simply comprise going round in cycles on a bike fractionally fast than her opponents).

Sadly being ‘more than a track cyclist translates into having the ability to look ‘sexy’ in a dress on a bike as well as racing one and nothing else (from how the article/pictures portray her).

Samara // Posted 26 January 2011 at 6:52 pm

It’s bollocks anyway – if VP looks “conventionally attractive” in lycra it’s because she’s a world class athlete, not because she doesn’t “snack throughout the day”. In fact, I bet she consumes considerably more calories than most people, because she needs them to do all the training that got her thighs looking like that in the first place.