Happy 100th International Women’s Day

// 8 March 2011

Tags: , ,

international-womens-day--001.jpg

Today is the 100th International Women’s Day – so much has been achieved since it was launched by German women’s rights campaigner and socialist Clara Zetkin on 19 March 1911 (it’s since moved to 8 March, obviously). But there is so much work still to do.

From the IWD site:

Plans for the first International Women’s Day demonstration were spread by word of mouth and in the press. During the week before International Women’s Day two journals appeared: The Vote for Women in Germany and Women’s Day in Austria. Various articles were devoted to International Women’s Day: ‘Women and Parliament’, ‘The Working Women and Municipal Affairs’, ‘What Has the Housewife got to do with Politics?’, etc. The articles thoroughly analyzed the question of the equality of women in the government and in society. All articles emphasized the same point that it was absolutely necessary to make parliament more democratic by extending the franchise to women.

Success of the first International Women’s Day in 1911 exceeded all expectation.

Meetings were organized everywhere in small towns and even the villages halls were packed so full that male workers were asked to give up their places for women.

Men stayed at home with their children for a change, and their wives, the captive housewives, went to meetings.

During the largest street demonstration of 30,000 women, the police decided to remove the demonstrators’ banners so the women workers made a stand. In the scuffle that followed, bloodshed was averted only with the help of the socialist deputies in Parliament.

What are you doing this International Women’s Day?

Vicky // Posted 8 March 2011 at 7:08 am

I work with a women’s group in occupied Palestine. Our centre is built in the shadow of the separation wall, and the women who lived in the area were hit very hard when it went up – economically, practically, and psychologically. The centre was created in response to their need. It has a focus on storytelling and creative arts, and its name is ‘Sumud’ – an Arabic word meaning steadfastness/dignity/courage. In honour of IWD, each of the group’s women is going to share the story of a woman who inspires her and adds to her sumud, bringing along a photo of that woman if she can. If I get the chance, I’ll enlarge the photos and stick them the separation wall.

Josie // Posted 8 March 2011 at 7:28 am

Have shouted about it on my facebook page and have had ‘like’ responses from a couple of friends who I thought would never be interested. I’m also planning to make a donation to Women’s Aid. Happy IWD everyone!

Henrik from Tights and Tiaras // Posted 8 March 2011 at 7:53 am

I wrote a post on the beauty of our generations ballerinas for the international womans day on my blog on ballet, Tights and Tiaras. Thought you’d might be interested.

Keep up the good work for equal rights!! Great cause!

Vonnie // Posted 8 March 2011 at 7:55 am

I am absolutely delighted to live in Glasgow where I’ll be joining in with the “100 events for the Centenary of International Women’s Day” event being held at Glasgow Tramway.

They have a website with loads of information here – http://garterstitch100.posterous.com

Katie Barclay // Posted 8 March 2011 at 11:09 am

Well, I wrote a post on the history of IWD to celebrate, if anybody is interested:

saranga // Posted 8 March 2011 at 5:09 pm

I’ve been shouting about it on my facebook page and on the fb game forums I frequent (some folks never heard of it so I gave them my interpretation of the day), retweeting lots of relevant twitter links, and have blogged about it (click my name to see comics related gubbins!). I’ve also mentioned it to several people at work.

I was also the recipient of a pro feminist rant by my boyfriend this morning, as I teased him about cleaning up after me and generally being way more domesticated than I am. It was really gratifying to see him standing up for women’s equality and complaning about the usage of old fashioned gender steroetypes :) He put my feminism to shame ;)

saranga // Posted 8 March 2011 at 5:24 pm

rats, gave the wrong url. Now fixed. Anyhoo, I’ve since decided to go home and celebrate IWD by having pancakes with my boyfriend and then possibly watching a film.

Julianne // Posted 9 March 2011 at 2:28 am

I posted a sort-of book-themed link round up on my book blog: http://thisfleetingdream.blogspot.com/2011/03/international-womens-day-2011-link.html and have enjoyed reading the positive messages about the day on Twitter. It’s amazing to think it’s been celebrated in one form or another for 100 years now.