Weekly Round-Up And Open Thread, 25th April 2011.
Philippa Willitts // 25 April 2011
[Photograph is of a hand painted banner at a demonstration. The banner is seen from behind and has a picture of a venus women’s symbol, with a peace symbol in the circle, surrounded by sun rays or flames. The writing is backwards, and if forwards, would read ‘Rise peaceful women’]
TRIGGER WARNING: This post contains hyperlinks to external websites and blogs, some of which have comment threads and other material which some people may find triggering. The links here are posted in good faith but, as The F-Word has no control over the content of external sites, readers are advised to use their discretion and approach them with due caution.
DON’T SHOOT THE MESSENGER CLAUSE: The inclusion of any link in this post should not be construed as agreement or disagreement with its content by anyone at The F-Word. Links are posted for information and/or discussion purposes only and do not reflect any form of “official TFW party line” on any subject because there is no “official TFW party line”.
This is the open thread for discussion and our round-up of some of the articles and blogs we’ve noticed over the last week or so, but not had time or capacity to post about.
If you have a link or comment that doesn’t fit anywhere else and would like to share it, feel free to comment here.
- Katya’s story: trafficked to the UK, sent home to torture from the Guardian.
- From Pink News, London transgender conference cancelled after trans complaints.
- From MSN, Life-size Barbie gets real women talking.
- British Software Firm Seeking Nude Programmers, A CraigsList ad from Nude House said it is looking for “lots of very attractive, nude young girls — 20-39″ who should be practicing nudists to sell its software and who can code”.
- Women get just 31% of state posts, from the Irish Examiner.
- Women’s rights group condemns recent governor appointments, from The Daily News Egypt.
- Utne April Sampler contains acts fronted by a woman or which have multiple female members.
- Feminism, Socialism and the Meat Market: An Interview With Laurie Penny, from Global Comment.
- Enforcing Heteronormativity, from the Global Sociology Blog.
- Report on lesbian and bisexual women who got pregnant young (PDF), from Feminist Webs.
- From Al Jazeera, Tunisian gender-parity ‘revolution’ hailed.
- A fascinating look at When Female Inmates Take Photos of Their Life in Prison, from Visboo.
- From Jezebel, A Ten-Year-Old’s Rant To “Boys Around The World”, and What Makes You Feel Sexy Versus What Makes You Feel Safe.
- What’s Worse Than Seeing a Little Girl Dressed Like This?, from Blogging When The Baby Isn’t Looking.
Photograph by Mike Atherton.